Miners in Chile

redbird4

5.00 star(s)
Anybody been following this story? After 79 days the rescue team are finally getting them back to the surface! Thus far, they all seem to be doing okay. Personally, although I would certainly be back on top of the surface, they would have to sedate me to get me in that tube for the 20 minute trip up.

Great story for these guys though!

robert326

4.90 star(s)
Really amazing, a great story of the triumph of the human spirit.

Read in the papers yesterday that the miners had a sort-of fight as to who would be the last one out of the mine. Sounds strange at first....but the last miner out would become the new world-record holder of the longest time continuously trapped in a mine.

OriolesFan8

5.00 star(s)
MSNBC's website has a picture of each miner, the number they are being removed, it's almost like a sports lineup. Really amazing and glad it's going smoothly.

Todd

redbird4

5.00 star(s)
Really amazing, a great story of the triumph of the human spirit.

Read in the papers yesterday that the miners had a sort-of fight as to who would be the last one out of the mine. Sounds strange at first....but the last miner out would become the new world-record holder of the longest time continuously trapped in a mine.

Interesting. I never heard this, only that the "leader" said he would be the last out. When he said that I thought it was noble of him (kind of like the captain going down with the ship kind of thing). But now that I hear what you said it makes me wonder. To my understanding many of them, if not all of them, have been approached about movie & book deals anyway.

Still good to see them coming up.

brewerfan34

5.00 star(s)
I heard they have to wear there sunglasses for several days so there eyes can get adjusted to natural light.

Watching the videos on the news of the people while in the mine should make all of us grateful for what we have.

Thanks,

Frank

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
i have been watching this all the way through. stayed up til 3am this morning and watched all day at work on my computer. just watched the last one come out and this is the single greatest event i have ever watched. it was 69 days not 79 but still an unprecedented outcome. since i'm not old enough to have seen the moon landings i would have to put this on the top of my list. i love stories about man achieving the unthinkable and this is the ultimate story of survival.

redbird4

5.00 star(s)
I heard they have to wear there sunglasses for several days so there eyes can get adjusted to natural light.

Watching the videos on the news of the people while in the mine should make all of us grateful for what we have.

Thanks,

Frank

Well said. Makes one stop and think how much we really do take for granted in life.

I would rather be in the tube for 20 minutes...then in that small area under earth for 79 days!! Best regards, David

Well, true. But at least they could move around underground. You cannot move at all in the tube and then the dark, enclosed ride up? YIKES! They were at least wired for the ride up so they could talk to the people up top. I wouldn't want to even be underground in the first place, but I do understand that's what these guys do for a living. Can you tell I'm a claustrophobic?

I wonder how many of them will be returning to the mines when they are able to.

redbird4

5.00 star(s)
i have been watching this all the way through. stayed up til 3am this morning and watched all day at work on my computer. just watched the last one come out and this is the single greatest event i have ever watched. it was 69 days not 79 but still an unprecedented outcome. since i'm not old enough to have seen the moon landings i would have to put this on the top of my list. i love stories about man achieving the unthinkable and this is the ultimate story of survival.

This story reminds me of the little girl (if I remember right her name is Jessica) that fell down the well in 1987. The whole nation was glued to the tv to see her rescue and I remember the loud cheer in my house as they got her out okay. She was only 1 or 2 years old and she was down there by herself.
I agree with you..........amazing!

Last edited:

Trader Rich

5.00 star(s)
I watched much of it. It was an amazing story. I can't remember anything so uplifting since the moon landing.
I'm giving away my age.:D

dbarbos1

5.00 star(s)
I was watching the story on the news, and one of the miners brought a bag of rocks up and out of the mine with him and gave the rocks to the Chilean President as souvenirs.

bombie1138

5.00 star(s)
I watched it,and enjoyed it greatly.It's nice to have some really good news once in a awhile,..
Couple of notes,
It was 90 degrees in that cave,and also a American crew was the one that reached them first.They were drilling wells in Afganistan and were sent to Chile to help.They kicked some butt for sure.
Also Chile had a devestating earthquake a few months back,5th highest ever recorded and I was very happy for the people that live there.They could use a good shot in the arm.It's a miracle they got out alive.

Clint