MLB and Players’ Union Trade Topps for Fanatics in Deals to Shake Up Trading-Card Universe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not a fan of this move myself. I wasn't a big fan of Topps have exclusivity rights either. I think they should have more than one licensed maker of each sport. I always loved choosing between UD or topps boxes, so that I could make my sets. It also was easier to trade because everyone didn't have the same thing. If I buy 2 UD boxes and 1 Topps box and trader x buys 3 topps boxes I could trade my extra UD for his/her extra Topps, now it is painful to try to find something for someone that they don't already have because we are all opening the same thing. Sorry for the long rant, just my opinion. In 2026 if there is no topps products that are licensed I may not be collecting any more.

I was not a fan of the 1 license decision a few years ago. I fully enjoyed the days of UD and DLP. I hope Topps doesn't go overboard like DLP did in 2005 and flood the market with tons of offerings in an attempt to clear out their material holdings.

I for one will be sad to see my Topps run end. I am not sure if I will collect a Fanatics product, but will approach it with an open mind and see how the product is presented.

This could also be the end of the Topps IPO. I know that I wouldn't invest a dime if they don't have a future product.

Not a fan of this move myself. I wasn't a big fan of Topps have exclusivity rights either. I think they should have more than one licensed maker of each sport. I always loved choosing between UD or topps boxes, so that I could make my sets. It also was easier to trade because everyone didn't have the same thing. If I buy 2 UD boxes and 1 Topps box and trader x buys 3 topps boxes I could trade my extra UD for his/her extra Topps, now it is painful to try to find something for someone that they don't already have because we are all opening the same thing. Sorry for the long rant, just my opinion. In 2026 if there is no topps products that are licensed I may not be collecting any more.
I agree. I've been collecting since I was 7 years old in the summer of 1980. Of course Topps was the only game in town still but that was about to change. I remember a buddy who had move to MN from Jersey say once a few years later "it's Topps, because they are tops in the business. " which I agree with. Sure Donruss. Fleer, and Upper Deck had the sexier products as the 80s rolled into the 90s, but where are they now? (Yes I know a lot of that has to do with the exclusive rights) Topps was like that loyal dog who was at your side growing up, and was always there for you. Even as i go through and complete sets from the junk era topps cards stand out.
To me, more than anything else, baseball is built on tradition. The Reds always had the first game of the season, the league's only faced each other in the All Star Game or World Series, topps always made baseball cards. Now, like all the other traditions that make the game so great, and stand apart from other sports, that tradition is ending as well.
I'm sad.