• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

MLB Modern Era (Veterans Committee) Hall of Fame Ballot

cardmonster

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Ten Modern Era (1970-87) Candidates for MLB Hall of Fame voting on 12/8/19.

Dwight Evans
Steve Garvey
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Marvin Miller
Thurman Munson
Dale Murphy
Dave Parker
Ted Simmons
Lou Whitaker

Recent votes yielded new Hall of Famers Alan Trammell, Jack Morris, Lee Smith, and Harold Baines.

Some nice names up for selection. Given recent inclusive trend (of voting for more candidates), who will make it in this year (for upcoming 2020 class)?

criollos

MVP
5.00 star(s)
It’s going to become the Hall of The Very Good. From that list, I would definitely say no to Dwight Evans and Ted Simmons. Would like to see Al Oliver and Jim Kaat on that list.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Veteran's committee is a joke. Just my opinion. I don't want any of those guys in if they couldn't get past the writers. Honestly, I wish I could take out about 20-30 the writers let in over the years (Jim Rice, etc)

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
I hope Thurman Munson makes it into the Hall of Frame. Rookie of the Year, MVP, 3 Gold gloves, 7 all stars...11 years in the majors. Best regards, David

Last edited:

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Every player on this list should be in over Harold Baines.

It has been the Hall of Very Good for years now. If you make everyone special, than NO ONE is special.

neemann

All-Star
4.90 star(s)
Simmons should have been in a long time ago.

Bench had 2,048 hits for a . 267 career batting average with 1,376 RBI.

Simmons had 2,472 hits for a . 285 career batting average with 1,389 RBI.

schmidtfan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Agreed that Simmons is a major oversight. The man retired with the most hits ever by a catcher (since passed by Ivan Rodriguez).

Evans and Whitaker are hugely underrated but maybe not HOF worthy.
In 1986, I never would have thought Dale Murphy wouldn't be in the HOF... he had an amazing stretch for about 7 years, but not sure if he belongs.

schmidtfan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm genuinely surprised though not unhappy about Simmons. I thought Whitaker or Murphy was more likely.

Will my 1971 Simmons rookie card go up in value now? :)

schmidtfan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm surprised because he got 3.7% of the vote in his first ballot and then fell off. Plus, people had been talking a lot about Whitaker making it, but hadn't heard much buzz for Simmons. But agreed--he should have gone in a while ago.

cardmonster

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Voting totals: Ted Simmons (13); Marvin Miller (12); Dwight Evans (8); Dave Parker (7); Steve Garvey (6); and Lou Whitaker (6). Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Thurman Munson and Dale Murphy each received three or fewer votes.

Player evaluations have evolved over the years. There used to be greater emphasis on basic statistics like batting average, home runs, runs batted in, wins and earned run average. Evaluators now place more emphasis on (relatively) newer metrics like WAR, OPS, and WHIP - over traditional basic stats.

Players like Steve Garvey and Dave Parker were considered superstars in their playing days but are evaulated more harshly today because of their low walk totals (and hence low OBP). Garvey was also considered an excellent fielder in his day but now considered a below-average fielder due to lack of range.

Other players like Dwight Evans and Lou Whitaker are evulated more favorbly today due to their career WAR totals and better OBP.

Jacob DeGrom has won NL Cy Young award past two seasons despite winning only 10 and 11 games. If his stats were evaluated 20 or 30 years ago, his awards likely would have gone to someone else who won at least a few more games.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Voting totals: Ted Simmons (13); Marvin Miller (12); Dwight Evans (8); Dave Parker (7); Steve Garvey (6); and Lou Whitaker (6). Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Thurman Munson and Dale Murphy each received three or fewer votes.

Player evaluations have evolved over the years. There used to be greater emphasis on basic statistics like batting average, home runs, runs batted in, wins and earned run average. Evaluators now place more emphasis on (relatively) newer metrics like WAR, OPS, and WHIP - over traditional basic stats.

Players like Steve Garvey and Dave Parker were considered superstars in their playing days but are evaulated more harshly today because of their low walk totals (and hence low OBP). Garvey was also considered an excellent fielder in his day but now considered a below-average fielder due to lack of range.

Other players like Dwight Evans and Lou Whitaker are evulated more favorbly today due to their career WAR totals and better OBP.

Jacob DeGrom has won NL Cy Young award past two seasons despite winning only 10 and 11 games. If his stats were evaluated 20 or 30 years ago, his awards likely would have gone to someone else who won at least a few more games.

Some good points regarding statistics, etc -- my thought is that you have to judge a player based on the time spent in his era. You can't translate statistics across generations. Based on what is valued now, guys like Dave Kingman and Greg Luzinski would be future hall of famers. Pitchers today have inflated K totals because everyone is swinging for the fences. Ted Simmons got what 3.7% of the vote his first year on the ballot and now he is in the HOF because 13 guys, 30 years later thought he deserved to be in???

I understand, the HOF is so watered down at this point, it just doesn't matter, but c'mon lets try and tighten it up going forward. Or better yet (stealing a Bill Simmons theory on hoops HOF), expand the HOF upward and have levels of HOF status - IE top floor Cy Young, bottom floor Ted Simmons. And let the BBWA inductees have their own wing, so guys like Harold Baines aren't in the same area as guys like Ted Williams.

neemann

All-Star
4.90 star(s)
How is Ted Simmons bottom Floor? I posted some of his stats which are better than Bench. I just don't see how people say he is not HOF worthy.