Music You Seek

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
I bought a device that converts records and cassette tapes to CD around Thanksgiving and I have been spending some time converting songs and albums I have had sitting around for ages.

As I am doing this, I am also discovering that many of my tapes don't play very well anymore. There have been a number of items that wouldn't play at all and I figured if I wanted the song that bad, I'd have to find it on CD or ITunes or similar, however, at $1/song, that adds up...especially since I bought these tapes already, probably most at new release pricing! Anyway, I have spent some time on ITunes as well and find that quite a bit of stuff is still not available.

I got to thinking...who out there has been searching for a song or two or even an album for a while because they had a tape or LP that they no longer own or can find anymore and these songs are still very hard to find or unavailable in CD form?

Let's see some songs/bands listed. I or some other member here might be able to help. I "specialize" in music generally from the 70s-90s, mainly classic rock and 80s metal. Many of my CDs, records and tapes have long been out of print, although some are starting to show back up here and there. I have somewhere around 1500 albums/tapes/CDs.

mindbinge

5.00 star(s)
I have a ton of stuff...everything from official releases to bootlegs...mostly rock/heavy metal/hair band stuff from the 80's on up.

How is the quality of the stuff on vinyl you have been converting over to CD? How much did this thing you bought cost? I ahve a stack of Vinyl in the garage that most of it was never on CD...and several boxes of tapes...i'm sure they suck now though as tape tends to oxodize.

anglinomics

5.00 star(s)
Manfred Mann - Solar Fire I have given up looking, but Collector's Choice, a music club where you don't have to buy anything to join is a great strating place to find the oldies.

nexus8793

4.90 star(s)
Anglinomics-I've got Solar Fire on my computer and can hook you up with a link if you're interested. I'm not sure if you just wanted the music or whether you were looking for the vinyl as a collector's item. Let me know,-

Addison

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
For obscure music, I gravitate toward GrabIt, an automated newsgroup client from Shemes.com. If you have newsgroup access via your ISP, you can use their limited free search capabilities and download files from your own ISP's news servers. If your ISP has particularly good retention, you can pay a small monthly fee to have access to unlimited searches (of shemes' news servers) and get better results.

OR, if you have lousy or no newsgroup access, you can subscribe to Shemes' news servers for a fee (which also includes the unlimited search), and have access to TONS of obscure music that others (with lots of experience doing so) have ripped and preserved/enhanced digitally.

Now, on the one hand, technically if you download the stuff and don't own it, it's copyright infringement, but on the other, if you've already bought the tape/CD/8-track/reel-to-reel/vinyl, you own a copy already and this just saves you doing the digitizing yourself.

I've discovered lots of artists and bands via scouring the newsgroups that I'd never heard of before and went out to see what was available commercially. In lots of cases, there's nothing more than some obscure, indie label compilation, in some cases, there's nothing at all. But I have picked up quite a few CDs because of what I was able to find available.

knightfam5

5.00 star(s)
Would love to get a copy of the "Meatballs" movie soundtrack on cassette or cd. Just the one with Bill Murray and not the other Meatballs movies.
-Keith

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
The records sound pretty good. Obviously the more scratches you have, the worse they sound. Some you can hardly tell, because the records were new.

I think the price was around $150. I saw one at a Costco warehouse that was more plain jane for around $80, but I think it did just vinyl. I didn't shop around, so I'm sure there are probably better deals out there. I know my dad bought one a few years ago and it was close to $300.

I have a ton of stuff...everything from official releases to bootlegs...mostly rock/heavy metal/hair band stuff from the 80's on up.

How is the quality of the stuff on vinyl you have been converting over to CD? How much did this thing you bought cost? I ahve a stack of Vinyl in the garage that most of it was never on CD...and several boxes of tapes...i'm sure they suck now though as tape tends to oxodize.

mrhaverkamp

5.00 star(s)
Ever since I saw the Kevin Smith movie "Zack and Miri make a ....." I've been trying to get a copy of that obscure 70's band Climaxx Blues Band song called "I Love You". It's gotta be on one of the CBB albums from long long ago.

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
You can get it on ITunes, but you have to buy the whole album ($9.99).

Ever since I saw the Kevin Smith movie "Zack and Miri make a ....." I've been trying to get a copy of that obscure 70's band Climaxx Blues Band song called "I Love You". It's gotta be on one of the CBB albums from long long ago.

anglinomics

5.00 star(s)
Anglinomics-I've got Solar Fire on my computer and can hook you up with a link if you're interested. I'm not sure if you just wanted the music or whether you were looking for the vinyl as a collector's item. Let me know,-

Addison

Addison,

I am looking to have a cd of this. If you can provide the files, I can send something your way. Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
I'm shocked that you still have cassette tapes still lying around. Any 8-tracks? I remember those well.

Have you ever searched Limewire for mp3s of your favorite songs/groups?

I recently purchased a VHS/DVD recorder so that I can take all of the VHS movies we made of my older son and convert them into DVDs. I'd hate to lose those precious moments.