NASA Ares I-X Launch!

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
I'm a huge NASA/Space geek so I am anxiously awaiting the launch of the Ares I-X this morning. Watch it live on NASA TV...

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Sad to see the space shuttle go but will be great to see a new vehicle in action.
If only I could get 25-30 million dollars to spend and be a space tourist!

EDIT: Launch a no-go for today....will try again tomorrow

Last edited:

daktion

5.00 star(s)
Thanks, just got it with 3 minutes to go. Very excited!

A little cough, back to 4 minutes :(

I wonder if I go outside I will be able to see the vapor trail from Boca.

Last edited:

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
yes, i have been watching nasa tv for about 2 years now and i can't count how many shuttle launches have been delayed or scrubbed...but safety and optimal performance of the spacecraft are definately atop the priorities...

...dang now the next window for launch is around 11:00....when i go to lunch!

Last edited:

otgoal

5.00 star(s)
I probably have a few more miles on me than most of the Bench members. I can remember Apollo launches of the late 60's early 70's.
Back then, when there was a rocket launch, it was a real big deal.

If we were in school, they would bring a television into the class to allow us to watch it. And splashdowns were always closely watched as well. Now it seems so much of it is taken for granted. During the Apollo program it was a real sense of pride and patriotism. Astronauts were rock stars.

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
launch scrubbed for today, will try again tomorrow

wish I could have been alive for that era, my dad tells me the same stories about everything stopping during early NASA launches and everyone watching...
I am one who still watches attentively but I know I'm in the minority nowadays...

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
When I was a kid the space launches were a pretty big deal also. Sadly, my earliest memory is being at home and watching the Challenger launch in 1986.

stephj24

4.90 star(s)
When I was a kid the space launches were a pretty big deal also. Sadly, my earliest memory is being at home and watching the Challenger launch in 1986.
Same memory for myself, Tim. I can remember clear as day the Challenger disaster and then having the same feelings again decades later during the Columbia tragedy. Each time I visit Arlington National Cemetary I make it a point to visit the memories for the astronauts.

I'm a big space buff as well...ever since childhood my father and I have been pretty involved in astronomy. The National Air and Space Museums in DC and Chantilly, VA are my favorite museums I've ever been to. My dad and I love this site:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

We use it to track when the International Space Station, the Space Shuttle (when it's up) satellites, etc are available for viewing. It gives you the exact time and direction to watch the objects fly over.

Steph

Last edited:

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
try again today....

launch targeted between 9:00 and 9:15 AM EDT....

edit: delayed until 10:30 AM EDT

edit: now off until 11:00 AM EDT....great my lunch break again!

Last edited:

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
yea, how would you like to ride on the top of that!!!

congrats to NASA, now let's take it to Mars

Sponsors