National One Hit Wonder Day

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Missed posting about this yesterday - but apparently there is an actual day celebrated for "One Hit Wonders".

Which of course led me to start thinking about all the one hit wonders out there - let us know what your favorite is...

Here are my top 5, in no particular order:

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
99 Luft Balloons - Nena
Take On Me - A-Ha
Whoomp! There it is - Tag Team
Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite

Just missed the cut:
Mambo #5 - Lou Bega

Rhubarb_Runner

5.00 star(s)
Missed posting about this yesterday - but apparently there is an actual day celebrated for "One Hit Wonders".

Which of course led me to start thinking about all the one hit wonders out there - let us know what your favorite is...

Here are my top 5, in no particular order:

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
99 Luft Balloons - Nena
Take On Me - A-Ha
Whoomp! There it is - Tag Team
Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite

Just missed the cut:
Mambo #5 - Lou Bega

A-ha was no one hit wonder. They had several hit singles with two in the Top 40, plus the single for James Bond movie "The Living Daylights"

Last edited:

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
Some lost song from the 60's
Dominique by The Singing Nun
Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto
Music Box Dancer by Frank Mills

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
I guess it all comes down what era you are from.

For me it’s...

Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
99 Luftballons - Nena
My Sharona - The Knack
How Bizarre - OMC
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
The Pied Piper- Crispian St. Peters
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly
Down Town- Mrs. Miller. She had one more song that charted but it was so far down it was no hit.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
A-ha was no one hit wonder. They had several hit singles with two in the Top 40, plus the single for James Bond movie "The Living Daylights"

Got off the Bond train when they had Denis Richards playing a nuclear physicist - I am willing to stretch reality and believability pretty far in movies, but that casting decision was a little to over the top!

You have to have Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot. The greatest one hit song of all time!!

My bad on that - sir mix a lot should have been at the top of my list!! I think I still have 1-900-Mix-A-Lot programmed in my phone...Speaking of phones, Tommy Tutone and 8675309. and Toni Basil - Mickey.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
For anyone who has XM radio in their cars or the app on their phone, they have a channel dedicated to one hit wonders from all over the rock era. it is called ONEderland

bblair_2002

5.00 star(s)
I'll add a few more:

Life in a Northern Town - The Dream Academy
Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
Loving You - Minnie Ripperton
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Brand New Key - Melanie

Come On Eileen is the best one-hit wonder of all time IMO.

Didn't know about that ONEderland channel on Sirius. I'll have to look it up as I have one more pre-set channel to fill up in my car.

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
I'll add a few more:

Life in a Northern Town - The Dream Academy
Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
Loving You - Minnie Ripperton
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Brand New Key - Melanie

Come On Eileen is the best one-hit wonder of all time IMO.

Didn't know about that ONEderland channel on Sirius. I'll have to look it up as I have one more pre-set channel to fill up in my car.

Melanie did have one other hit, Lay Down [Candles In The Rain]. I used to work with a guy that did studio work and some back up bass for tours. His lawsuit for her not paying him was so far back on the list he had to give up on it. Sounds like she turned her life around.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Walking On Sunshine -- A real high energy song.

Katrina & The Waves - definitely a classic!

For anyone who has XM radio in their cars or the app on their phone, they have a channel dedicated to one hit wonders from all over the rock era. it is called ONEderland

I used to have satellite radio when I was commuting down to Baltimore on a daily basis - it was the only thing that kept me sane for 5+ years. When the commute shortened to almost non-existent, gave up Sirius as an unnecessary expense. But I would live on that channel now!

I'll add a few more:

Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Dig Tarzan Boy - amazing the songs you forget about..until you are reminded of them. Somebody did a cover of Tainted Love, that I thought was awesome, want to say Marilyn Manson, but not 100% sure.

And not sure if I would call it a "hit", but Real Life - Send Me An Angel....one of my favorite songs!

Keep throwing songs up here - always looking for new songs to add to the Ipod.