National Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Kozelichki

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Went to the National on Thursday, July 27, and came away a bit disillusioned with the direction the show seems to be heading.

First, I was forewarned by a dealer who set up a Tuesday that this show would be large. Needless to say, he was right. I’ve been to every major show in Chicago for nearly 40 years. This one blew all those away, and not in a good way.

In as few words as possible, there were too many dealers and too many customers. Every one of the four major exhibit halls on the first floor of Rosemont were filled. Aisles were not only packed but were narrow, there was little coordination of traffic flow, longtime dealers were displaced from spots by corporate sponsors, and many dealers were complaining as customers either couldn’t get to their tables due to the crowding or blocking the aisles due to the podcasts and pack ripping that was going on.

Too many dealers, especially when it comes to newer products, means a lot less money for those paying thousands of overhead dollars in booth fees, hotels, meals, etc. just for the chance to set up.

On top of it all, the air conditioning system failed, it was 95 degrees outside and very uncomfortable inside and the event center did not put down carpeting, leaving rock solid concrete to walk on.

I commented to a long time friend that I did not enjoy the show at all, despite looking forward to it for a long time.

I went looking to sell some stuff as I made a huge buy just a week before the National, and accomplished much of that through both item sales and auction consignment. I went in looking for two items to add to my collection. One I thought would be plentiful, while the other I did not expect to find at all.

The one I expected to be plentiful was an Ernie Banks stadium giveaway bobble head from a couple of weeks ago. I saw one all day. Luckily, I came home with it.

The other was a Spalding store model Jim Hickman glove, that I had been looking for throughout the past 13 years. I’ve only seen them on EBay, maybe twice at most. I’ve even had dealers tell me it didn’t exist, even though I knew it did. I couldn’t believe it when I actually found one on Thursday. Yes, I bought it for a little more than half it’s listed price. No my collection of 69 Cubs store model gloves is complete. Now, to find a few store model bats.

Two buys after nearly eight hours of attendance. Not a great use of time. But since I bypass almost everything from the last 40 years as well as all graded cards, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s too bad a show like National with four major exhibit halls couldn’t be organized so vintage dealers could have their own area, while modern cards could be placed elsewhere, and corporate sponsors, etc their own as well.

It would be interesting to see the attendance breakdown if that set up was the norm.

Went to the National on Thursday, July 27, and came away a bit disillusioned with the direction the show seems to be heading.

First, I was forewarned by a dealer who set up a Tuesday that this show would be large. Needless to say, he was right. I’ve been to every major show in Chicago for nearly 40 years. This one blew all those away, and not in a good way.

In as few words as possible, there were too many dealers and too many customers. Every one of the four major exhibit halls on the first floor of Rosemont were filled. Aisles were not only packed but were narrow, there was little coordination of traffic flow, longtime dealers were displaced from spots by corporate sponsors, and many dealers were complaining as customers either couldn’t get to their tables due to the crowding or blocking the aisles due to the podcasts and pack ripping that was going on.

Too many dealers, especially when it comes to newer products, means a lot less money for those paying thousands of overhead dollars in booth fees, hotels, meals, etc. just for the chance to set up.

On top of it all, the air conditioning system failed, it was 95 degrees outside and very uncomfortable inside and the event center did not put down carpeting, leaving rock solid concrete to walk on.

I commented to a long time friend that I did not enjoy the show at all, despite looking forward to it for a long time.

I went looking to sell some stuff as I made a huge buy just a week before the National, and accomplished much of that through both item sales and auction consignment. I went in looking for two items to add to my collection. One I thought would be plentiful, while the other I did not expect to find at all.

The one I expected to be plentiful was an Ernie Banks stadium giveaway bobble head from a couple of weeks ago. I saw one all day. Luckily, I came home with it.

The other was a Spalding store model Jim Hickman glove, that I had been looking for throughout the past 13 years. I’ve only seen them on EBay, maybe twice at most. I’ve even had dealers tell me it didn’t exist, even though I knew it did. I couldn’t believe it when I actually found one on Thursday. Yes, I bought it for a little more than half it’s listed price. No my collection of 69 Cubs store model gloves is complete. Now, to find a few store model bats.

Two buys after nearly eight hours of attendance. Not a great use of time. But since I bypass almost everything from the last 40 years as well as all graded cards, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s too bad a show like National with four major exhibit halls couldn’t be organized so vintage dealers could have their own area, while modern cards could be placed elsewhere, and corporate sponsors, etc their own as well.

It would be interesting to see the attendance breakdown if that set up was the norm.
My only trip to the National was when it was in Chicago 21 years ago. My oldest had just been born and not having a lot of disposable income at the time, the thing I took away was that it was very overwhelming. It didn't help that the former co worker that i had gone with, was in one of his manic modes. For most of the late 90's i had gone to TwinsFest and dealers in the Twin Cities area filled the Metrodome with their cards, but obviously the National is on a much bigger scale. I have wanted to get back in a year that it's back in Chicago, but this makes me rethink that.

I actually went to the 2nd Annual National in Plymouth, Michigan in 1981. Sizewise, I'll bet it was not as big as the monthly shows in Albany, NY in the 1990s were. I'm not certain there were even price guides back then! There were dinosaurs roaming around but price guides? I'm not so sure.

If I were ever to go to a National, I'd be similar to Tony in 2 ways. 1) I would bypass anything from the last 40 years as well as graded stuff and 2) I would be seeking to acquire a handfull of very specific, pricey cards I need for sets. No way I would go just to see what I could buy in general..

Interesting review by Tony. I kind of had a feeling that is the way Nationals were. Losing the A/C in this current heatwasve must have been really tough with that crowd size.

Tks for the writeup, Tony. This is the 1st Natl in Chicago that I haven't been to in a long time due to a schedule conflict this week, but I have been watching lots of YouTubers vids from the show. I always thought that the Rosemont facility wasn't very 'linear' in that you always had to snake around instead of just being able to tour up and down row by row. Adding a larger corporate presence must have increased this. But I am happy to hear that they opened additional rooms so that the smaller dealers wouldn't get squeezed out if they had previously held a table. The National is big enough that no matter what specific area of the hobby that you collect/chase, you'll find it somewhere, you just have to enjoy the thrill of the chase, and I do! Definitely looking forward to Cleveland in 2024, that room (IX Center) is laid out perfectly....you never have to zig and zag unless you want to!