NCAA Football Final Four

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Who is it going to be????

1 - Alabama (total lock, even if they lose to UF)

2 - Ohio State (total lock, no games left to play - and committee obviously wants them in)

3 - Clemson (beat VaTech and they are in - lose and they are out)

4 - Washington (beat Colorado and they are in - lose and they are out)

Michigan - in if either 3 or 4 loses

Wisconsin - only in if 3 AND 4 lose (and must win Big 10 Champ)

Penn State - same as Wisconsin - I can't stand PSU and I think that if they win the Big 10 Championship and have beaten OSU and don't get in, it would make the Committee System look worse than the BCS system!!!

Oklahoma - no chance whatsoever.

If the committee is set on having OSU in - they should at least drop them to the #4 seed if Clemson and Washington win. Winning your conference needs to count for something.

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
If Washington beats Colorado then the Final Four should be set. I see no way that Virginia Tech beats Clemson. Michigan's loss to Iowa has to count for something. There will be a huge uproar if Penn State or Wisconsin gets in and Michigan does not since Michigan beat both those teams. But I am hoping beyond hope that the Buckeyes can win another title. But Alabama looks real good this year.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Washington is now a LOCK! If Clemson wins tonite, that will be the Final 4.

And if that is the case, would be nice if the committee moves Ohio State down to 4. The reward for getting in and not winning your conference division or championship should be the 4 seed at best.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Well the committee really went out on a limb and stuck with the chalk picks.

If they really wanted to do what was right, they would have slotted Ohio State at #4 last week and Clemson #2, Washington #3 - and than they could have easily swapped OSU off of the 4 line and put PSU in. Made me a little sick to hear them say that the eye test showed that OSU was better than PSU - if that is the case, than why did PSU beat OSU head to head.

In my opinion North Carolina was a MUCH better team than Villanova last year, but Nova won the game that they played against each other - and were rewarded with the national title. Apparently in football the same doesn't ring true.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Roll Tide Roll!! Sorry but not the Final 4 but the Final team with another BCS trophy........Alabama.

Don't disagree at all - feel like it is already a forgone conclusion that Alabama is winning this thing. Again. At least they will be undefeated this time around.

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Last time I checked Ohio State had one loss and Penn State had two losses. Penn State lost to Pitt. Losses count. The committee got it right. Three teams with one loss each and one undefeated team. Alabama looks unstoppable but I thought that two years ago about Oregon. And then they loss. And then I thought that about Alabama. And then Ohio State beat them. While I know the Buckeyes do not have the players this year that they did then (Bosa and Elliott just to name two) I think they have an outside chance to pull off another title. They have an advantage at quarterback. But I am a Buckeyes fan so I will admit that I am a little bit biased.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Last time I checked Ohio State had one loss and Penn State had two losses. Penn State lost to Pitt. Losses count. The committee got it right. Three teams with one loss each and one undefeated team. Alabama looks unstoppable but I thought that two years ago about Oregon. And then they loss. And then I thought that about Alabama. And then Ohio State beat them. While I know the Buckeyes do not have the players this year that they did then (Bosa and Elliott just to name two) I think they have an outside chance to pull off another title. They have an advantage at quarterback. But I am a Buckeyes fan so I will admit that I am a little bit biased.

Ahh...this is where I love playing devils advocate. Pitt also beat Clemson, should Clemson be out? Should Pitt be in, since they are the only team to beat TWO top 5 teams, that has to make them good? In an earlier post you stated that Michigan fans should be upset if either Wisconsin or PSU got in ahead of them, because Michigan beat them both - Michigan has two losses. By that logic Penn State should be in over OSU, because they beat them head to head.

And than there is always the old reversal - As an OSU fan, would you be happy to have your two loss Buckeyes sitting home after beating a playoff team head to head and winning the big ten conference?

And I know the argument is there that OSU played Oklahoma and beat them this year. Well, Oklahoma stunk at the beginning of this year, just like USC and PSU. If the committee truly wants the 4 best teams come playoff time - I don't think anyone would want to play USC, Oklahoma or PSU right now. Clemson struggled at the end of the year, USC beat the snot out of Washington, and PSU has a longer win streak than OSU right now.

This is why I love sports, you can debate anything ad nauseum.

The G

5.00 star(s)
I wouldn't have been to shocked if PSU jumped over us to #4. But since we are in we need to take advantage of it. Not as strong as 2014 but we weren't supposed to beat 'Bama that year either. Go Bucks!

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Ahh...this is where I love playing devils advocate. Pitt also beat Clemson, should Clemson be out? Should Pitt be in, since they are the only team to beat TWO top 5 teams, that has to make them good? In an earlier post you stated that Michigan fans should be upset if either Wisconsin or PSU got in ahead of them, because Michigan beat them both - Michigan has two losses. By that logic Penn State should be in over OSU, because they beat them head to head.

And than there is always the old reversal - As an OSU fan, would you be happy to have your two loss Buckeyes sitting home after beating a playoff team head to head and winning the big ten conference?

And I know the argument is there that OSU played Oklahoma and beat them this year. Well, Oklahoma stunk at the beginning of this year, just like USC and PSU. If the committee truly wants the 4 best teams come playoff time - I don't think anyone would want to play USC, Oklahoma or PSU right now. Clemson struggled at the end of the year, USC beat the snot out of Washington, and PSU has a longer win streak than OSU right now.

This is why I love sports, you can debate anything ad nauseum.

If Penn State only had one loss then they would be in over The Buckeyes for sure. But they have 2 losses. If Pitt only had one loss then they would be in over Clemson. The fact of the matter is one loss gets in over two.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
If Penn State only had one loss then they would be in over The Buckeyes for sure. But they have 2 losses. If Pitt only had one loss then they would be in over Clemson. The fact of the matter is one loss gets in over two.

I was really hoping that more folks (IE, a PSU fan) would get involved and have opinions - I don't want anyone to think I am trolling!! I think the choice of OSU over PSU boiled down to two things - one, OSU on television right now makes more financial sense, shocking that $$$ would be a deciding factor. Two, the NCAA and their committee didn't want to listen to Urban Meyer whine for a year about not getting in.

One more scenario to think about since one loss is better than two....Alabama at #1, undefeated conference champ. Clemson at #2, 1 loss conference champ. Washington at #3, 1 loss conference champ. Western Michigan at #4, undefeated conference champ. If one loss is better than two, zero losses is better than one?

Gnep31

4.90 star(s)
I am happy The Bucks are playing Clemson first. Most of the analyst are saying Clemson is the only one who has the slightest chance of beating the Tide. I couldn't disagree more. Their defense is atrocious and looks more like a Big 12 unit. 24 against Troy, 43 vs Pitt??? If NC States kicker doesn't blow a chip shot FG then they wouldn't be in the conversation.

Honestly the top 4 teams in the country are probably Bama, OSU, Mich and Penn St.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The first of the four "power" teams from the Big Ten played last night...Michigan loses to Florida State. Curious to see how Penn State does against USC. Wisconsin shouldn't have any trouble with that monster Western Michigan squad.

Saw a note on the ESPN ticker that this is the first time since the playoff system started that a non conference champ was invited to the playoff...nice to have friends in important places, right Urban?

After watching the FSU win, wondering if the Big Ten defenses were so good, because the Big Ten offenses were SO bad.

Gnep31

4.90 star(s)
I am happy The Bucks are playing Clemson first. Most of the analyst are saying Clemson is the only one who has the slightest chance of beating the Tide. I couldn't disagree more. Their defense is atrocious and looks more like a Big 12 unit. 24 against Troy, 43 vs Pitt??? If NC States kicker doesn't blow a chip shot FG then they wouldn't be in the conversation.

Honestly the top 4 teams in the country are probably Bama, OSU, Mich and Penn St.

WOW! Was I ever dead wrong about the Bucks. Even with such a young team that was embarrassing from the game plan down to the individual performances. I usually am not one to put a lot of stock in experience or upper classmen, but Clemson looked like they were on a mission.

I don't understand how a 1000 yard rusher is completely excluded from the game plan even before the first kick off. Running stretch plays and going side to side just allowed Clemson to use their athletic ability. Pound the ball and when they put 8 in the box by bringing up safeties then you go deep after play action.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
WOW! Was I ever dead wrong about the Bucks. Even with such a young team that was embarrassing from the game plan down to the individual performances. I usually am not one to put a lot of stock in experience or upper classmen, but Clemson looked like they were on a mission.

I don't understand how a 1000 yard rusher is completely excluded from the game plan even before the first kick off. Running stretch plays and going side to side just allowed Clemson to use their athletic ability. Pound the ball and when they put 8 in the box by bringing up safeties then you go deep after play action.

The Big Ten has flat out stunk this bowl season...Their 4 headed monster managed a lone victory over a MAC team, by 8 points. Of the 4, PSU looked the best. In the future, hopefully the committee will take the teams that deserve to be there instead of the teams with the prettiest records!

Gnep31

4.90 star(s)
The Big Ten has flat out stunk this bowl season...Their 4 headed monster managed a lone victory over a MAC team, by 8 points. Of the 4, PSU looked the best. In the future, hopefully the committee will take the teams that deserve to be there instead of the teams with the prettiest records!

I do not necessarily disagree with you, but besides for the eye test, the record is normally a good indicator of how good a team is especially if they didn't play all cup cakes in the pre-season. Who else deserved to be in that was left out this yr?

USC may have been playing the best but eliminated themselves with three losses. Michigan, Oklahoma and Wisconsin all lost to OSU. Colorado is from the Pac 12 which hurts them and they were beaten by Michigan. That is your entire top 10. Everyone else below that had at least 3 losses except for a couple who had no chance of being considered.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I do not necessarily disagree with you, but besides for the eye test, the record is normally a good indicator of how good a team is especially if they didn't play all cup cakes in the pre-season. Who else deserved to be in that was left out this yr?

USC may have been playing the best but eliminated themselves with three losses. Michigan, Oklahoma and Wisconsin all lost to OSU. Colorado is from the Pac 12 which hurts them and they were beaten by Michigan. That is your entire top 10. Everyone else below that had at least 3 losses except for a couple who had no chance of being considered.

Understanding that losses do count...I still believe that USC was better than Washington heading into January and I still believe that Penn State was better than Ohio State heading into January.

That said...the two BEST teams were Clemson and Alabama. They proved it last night with a mildly entertaining game for a half last night, than a flat out fun game to watch in the second half. Congratulations to Clemson for getting the rematch they wanted and bringing the title home - the ACC was the best conference in bowl season and the Clemson national title was the cherry on top.

In other news, how was Deshaun Foster not the Heisman winner???? He beat the Heisman winner head to head and was the best player on the field in both games he played in the playoffs and his conference title game!