Need help buying a new TV

jackatl

4.90 star(s)
Hey guys,

We are looking to buy a new HDTV this week, and want to get the best deal on a 40-42 inch LCD HDTV. We are looking to spend around $500-750. I am not great at hunting for bargains online, so if anyone knows of some available at a good price, or a good site to use, please let me know. Also, any information about good/bad brands to buy would be helpful, too. Thanks guys!

Jack

greatdadx2

5.00 star(s)
Don't buy an RCA....I bought one a couple of years ago, the motherboard went bad after two months...had warranty.....took six months to finally get my money back from RCA.....I was without my TV for six months.....was an absolute horrible experience with those JERKS.....

Bright side, ended up buying a 52" Panasonic HDTV...No Problems....also bought a VIZIO not too long ago, just don't have HD hooked up to it, but still a nice picture.

Read up on your choice between Plasma and LCD to see what will better suit you if you haven't already.

CYmarlins

5.00 star(s)
go with LCD, always. i highly recommend that.

as far as a brand, Toshiba is really good and a very affordable price that may fall into ur budget. I got a 32" 1080P for $500 over 2 years ago and i absolutely love it! get a warranty, protect ur investment.

Jeffo65

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Well, we have a 40" HD LCD RCA and have not had a single problem. Our Sony has had a couple minor issues but nothing major. Go to a store and actually look at all that are available at one time. They will almost all have different quality pictures.

greatdadx2

5.00 star(s)
Well, we have a 40" HD LCD RCA and have not had a single problem. Our Sony has had a couple minor issues but nothing major. Go to a store and actually look at all that are available at one time. They will almost all have different quality pictures.

I'm sure RCA has a great product as they have been around forever....Glad you have had no problems with your RCA....What really ticked me off was there lack of customer service...That was my biggest beef with RCA....They never offered to replace the TV or give me my money back.....always gave me the run around....one day I said enough was enough and I kept calling and staying on the phone...they would hang up on me...I called right back...this went on for a few hours, until they finally decided to give my money back....It was such a pain in the you know what..

cjay101

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I have a 42" Westinghouse LCD 1080p I purchased at Best Buy 3 1/2 years ago. It is simply the best quality/technology for the money. They use Sony technology and repackage it in a cheaper non-branded product. This is the most similar "current" version of the tv. The price is great for what you get (1080p, HDMI, etc)

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...ref=sr_1_2?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1285681610&sr=1-2

I would highly recommend light sources in this order: LED, LCD, Plasma. Plasma has the best picture but just under 10% of the lifespan of the LCD. The LED is newer technology and well above your price range at the size you are looking at. The key 'must haves' these days are 1080P (not 1080i, 720p, 720i) and HDMI inputs.

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
I got a 40" Vizio at Costco and love it (at least once I put some electrical tape over that stupid glowing VIZIO logo on the front). DirecTV HD looks great on it. Spend lots of time camped on MLB TV.

Last edited:

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
I have a Panasonic 42" plasma in my man cave to watch sports and movies. Great picture but needed to get a sound bar for better sound quality. We have a LG 42" LCD great picture and the speaker quality was better.
With most HDTV's the sound quality is sub par so look in to that. I went with a sound bar to get away from all the speaker wires.

slavlite

5.00 star(s)
I purchased a Samsung 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. LCD 1080P. I had done my research and puirchased it at best buy, Found it way cheaper on New Egg.com and Best buy Matched 60% of the discount when I brought in the printed out sell sheet from New Egg

CYmarlins

5.00 star(s)
yea going to places that can price match is always good as well. I got mine at BrandsMart if that is around u, i would suggest going there. u can see tons of TV's there and compare to picture quality and specs.

U can also negotiate, thats what i did with mine. I was firm on my price and wasnt budging.

jackatl

4.90 star(s)
Thanks for your help, guys! I ended up getting an LG 42" LCD HDTV 1080p 120 HZ for just under $700. Can't wait for it to get here! I have never had HD before so I am very excited.

Jack

jflan702

5.00 star(s)
Congrats on your purchase. You can't go wrong with an LG. I installed home theatres for about 5 years, so I have put up plenty of plasmas and LCDs. For me, LG is a great brand with very good customer service (if it is even needed) and great technology.
The other thing that you need to think of is what you are hooking up to it, and how you are hooking it up. Component video, RGB, HDMI. Be sure to upgrade whatever service you have to HD service, otherwise you just aren't going to get everything out of your new TV as you could.

Congrats, and if you need some tips on how to hook it up, just let me know.;)

CYmarlins

5.00 star(s)
great pickup! what a price as well! the Monster HDMI cables are amazing! i get such great picture on mine. using the 1080i for the TV and 1080P for the PS3 / Blu-ray.

jackatl

4.90 star(s)
Yes, that was my final question, am I going to need to purchase an HDMI cable before installation, or will the satellite company provide it, or will they provide it but only for a hugely marked up price?

CYmarlins

5.00 star(s)
u will need to provide it. dont go cheap with the brand on the HDMI, it actually does matter. i've seen the difference.

u can pick them up at Walmart, Brandsmart, Bestbuy, Radio Shack

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
Go with LCD if your going to play video games on it.

I have a 42" Pioneer Plasma for 6 years now and it's been sweet since day 1. Also have a 42" Samsung LCD that is 2 years old, mainly use it for my PS3 don't have any complains with it either.

If you want a good deal and can wait they best times to buy TV's are Black Friday and Super Bowl week. Around the Super Bowl is when the new models begin to come out and old models are discounted to make room add on the 36 to 48 month interest free promo's that best buy offers around that time and you can't beat it.

SevensGotAGun

5.00 star(s)
As far as the hdmi cable goes I have to agree with CYMarlins... get the best one you can find. I bought a 42" Phillips LCD 120hz 1080p 10 months ago (wish I waited a week and could have shelled out an extra hundy for a 46). But I bought a cheap store brand cable at Wally World to connect to my Blu-ray and had to go back within the week and get a phillips cord with gold contacts because of the picture jerk. Good Luck and Enjoy!