Need Help

daskringle

4.90 star(s)
I Have A Don Newcombe Auto Immortal Lettermen Serial Numbered 4/4. There Is No Bv For It In Beckett. The Only One That Is In There Is The One That Is Serial Numbered To 32. In Trying To Trade The Card I Have Come Accross Somebody Who Thinks This Card That I Have That Says 4/4 Is The Same Card In Beckett That Is #ed To 32 Because His Last Name Has 8 Letters In It And He Is Saying 8x4=32, So He Thinks That Is The Same Card And The Value Of The Card Is $25. I Really Dont Think That Is Correct Or The Same Thing But I Thought I Would Ask You Guys First, Never Heard Of It That Why And Think That Is Really Out There But Wanted To See What You Guys Thought. I Have Never Heard That Ever Before. I Always Thought It Was Last Name And First Name But Who Knows Sometimes.

I guess what im asking is he correct, I always that the no bv because of the scarcity of the item was plain and clear.

Last edited:

slavlite

5.00 star(s)
He is correct, Here is the beckett listing word for word on the Newcombe AUTOS

2009 Upper Deck Icons Immortal Lettermen Autographs #DN Don Newcombe/ 32 */ Letters spell out NEWCOMBE each letter #'ed to 4/ Total print run 32 AU, S# Print Run
32 $25.00

daskringle

4.90 star(s)
upperdeck and beckett make that a little confusing then because they then put anything serial numbered 25 or less has no bv because of scarcity so you look at the don auto and its #ed 4/4 you think there two different versions of the cards.

slavlite

5.00 star(s)
There are 2 versions of the card, Non Auto Letterman and AUto Letterman.

Basically The print run is based on How many cards total there are to spell the name, so While your particular card is numbered/4 The Whole name is actually 32 cards, so you can spell it it 4 Times total from the print run, The non auto version Has 440 cards total, so the name can be spelled 40 times total on the non auto

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
As a person who collects Newcombe as part of his Negro League collection let me say nice pull first of all! I'm very jealous of that card:)

While that card may book at $25 I would not go by that standard if I were you. While it may be too long to now find the completed auction I saw one of these #/4 sell for over $40 early last month. If you were to go by BV I would put it at $75-80 in my opinion.

If you are not able to work out a deal with the other trader let me know and maybe we can do something.

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
I agree with Matt about $25 being pretty light for a trade BV. Some would argue that an auto is based on the value of the signature, not the print run. For example, based on that logic a Newcombe auto #'d/4 should be equal in value to one numbered to 400 because you are valuing his signature, not the card. That example is an absurd stretch for starters, although I do see some logic in that line of thinking. I think you will find that MOST people are not adding too significant a premium on auto'd cards based on low serial numbering though. Player collectors and such aside, I would agree with that.

It's surprising how often you can find deals on low serial numbered signed cards because the cost exceeds the typical value of a similar autograph, but not by so much that you still can't score a deal every now and again!

Hopefully I will have another example of that later tonight to share!!!