need some advice on this vintage collection

hociman

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I have a friend of mine who needs money. He has a wonderful collection of vintage baseball sets from 1960 thru 1987, all in excellent to nr mint condition. He also has a lot of misc vintage cards, stars included. If the lot was valued at $50k (current bv prices), what would be a reasonable offer considering today's market. I am a collector not a dealer as most of you know but I would like to get some feedback.
1. what would be a fair price to offer ?
2. Is it worth the effort to turnover some of the cards to get some of my money back if possible?

stuck at first base, thanks jim

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Good question. I would think that maybe offer 15 to 20 percent and hope that he is not offended. The resale value on the vintage stuff will be good but obviously the stuff from the 80's is nearly worthless. One question that I do have is whether or not you have actually seen any of these cards. I would take a good look at the big money cards for sure. The Rose rookie immediately comes to mind. And hopefully he has more than one of the Rose and Mantles from those years. I would think that you should be able to get a good return on your investment but it will probably take a while to piece it out. If he would accept that offer and I had the money (and my wife would agree to it) I would go for it for sure.

Good luck!!

Bryon

t.rooster

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
JIm~
Considering the sets are in NM condition, that makes them stand out as collectible. He probably won't be able to sell them all together at once, which would be ideal, unless he went way below the bv of them. The '60s & '70s were full of great stars & rookie cards, think Nolan Ryan RC, Harmon Killebrew RC, all those Mantles, Mays, Bench's RC, Kaat, Yaz etc, etc.....
The key here is time. I know from other sites (Net54baseball for one) there are collectors who will pay top dollar for cards in really great condition; but if he needs the money quickly & can't afford to sit on it, then he may have to settle for what he can get in the more immediate.
1. You could offer him the EX condition bv on NM cards.
2. Many people do flip a set by selling off the more desirable cards and breaking it up. I think if you have a NM set, it's a real shame to bust it up. That's my two cents...
~Rooster.

roach807

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
i agree with the first 2 responses but add that you get scans of all the major cards being that the sets are in ex-nt/mt i would want to know what condition the major cards were in.
Charlie
p.s i wish i had 10k to offer.

kycardkid

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I think it all depends on the key cards. Also none of the 80's sets are valuable and frankly many of the 70's sets are nothing crazy. The key will be those 60's sets and the key cards that lie within. Especially the rookies and some of the high numbers.

Remember that value is relative. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Go with your friend to a couple of hobby shops with the understanding that he does not jump on any offers made unless they far exceed what you would be comfortable offering. Post them on Craigslist or even eBay and see what kind of offers come in for the lot. You could even offer to sell some of them for him with the understanding that he will cut you a deal on the ones you are really interested in.

I totally get your conundrum. If he were a stranger it would be much easier.

Dave Lima

Prospect
a lot of good feedback so far too. i would agree set your eyes on the top dollar cards and judge for yourself. i also agree with taking him to some of the local area card shops see what they offer on the lot of them. but if your going to buy from a friend your treading on thin ice. you can do a lot of damage to the friendship if your offering to low. so be careful.

if i were in your situation i would offer much higher than 20% just because of the friendship, unless its not that great of a friendship and you dont plan on seeing him again.

so lets assume the cards are near mint and in sweet condition. make your offer on the vintage stuff and leave the 80s junk out of the mix. and when doing the offering your going to have to either decide to sell the sets or break them up. the sets with high value cards can bring some good money. but cherry picking, then grading them and selling them on a highview auction site (not ebay) you could make much more. soooo off on the basis of what you feel you can recoup on the resell. then be honest, make a fair offer and see what he takes.

good luck dave

hociman

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Bryon
I've seen the collection, sets are in binders but did not have time then to sort thru them only a 10 minute peak, but I plan on doing so what you suggested within the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned, thanks jim

Good question. I would think that maybe offer 15 to 20 percent and hope that he is not offended. The resale value on the vintage stuff will be good but obviously the stuff from the 80's is nearly worthless. One question that I do have is whether or not you have actually seen any of these cards. I would take a good look at the big money cards for sure. The Rose rookie immediately comes to mind. And hopefully he has more than one of the Rose and Mantles from those years. I would think that you should be able to get a good return on your investment but it will probably take a while to piece it out. If he would accept that offer and I had the money (and my wife would agree to it) I would go for it for sure.

Good luck!!

Bryon

hociman

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Rooster
I agree here with the key is time, not only for him but for me as well. He is a close friend and I would not want to take advantge of him or his situation (getting divorced). He did say to me he wants to get rid of the collection all at once, we will see once I have a closer look at the cards to make that offer. Thanks for your thoughts, jim

JIm~
Considering the sets are in NM condition, that makes them stand out as collectible. He probably won't be able to sell them all together at once, which would be ideal, unless he went way below the bv of them. The '60s & '70s were full of great stars & rookie cards, think Nolan Ryan RC, Harmon Killebrew RC, all those Mantles, Mays, Bench's RC, Kaat, Yaz etc, etc.....
The key here is time. I know from other sites (Net54baseball for one) there are collectors who will pay top dollar for cards in really great condition; but if he needs the money quickly & can't afford to sit on it, then he may have to settle for what he can get in the more immediate.
1. You could offer him the EX condition bv on NM cards.
2. Many people do flip a set by selling off the more desirable cards and breaking it up. I think if you have a NM set, it's a real shame to bust it up. That's my two cents...
~Rooster.

hociman

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Thanks Charlie, I hope I can be a fair negotiator on this one. Jim

i agree with the first 2 responses but add that you get scans of all the major cards being that the sets are in ex-nt/mt i would want to know what condition the major cards were in.
Charlie
p.s i wish i had 10k to offer.

hociman

MVP
5.00 star(s)
So true, thanks for the advise another option to consider. Thanks jim

I think it all depends on the key cards. Also none of the 80's sets are valuable and frankly many of the 70's sets are nothing crazy. The key will be those 60's sets and the key cards that lie within. Especially the rookies and some of the high numbers.

Remember that value is relative. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Go with your friend to a couple of hobby shops with the understanding that he does not jump on any offers made unless they far exceed what you would be comfortable offering. Post them on Craigslist or even eBay and see what kind of offers come in for the lot. You could even offer to sell some of them for him with the understanding that he will cut you a deal on the ones you are really interested in.

I totally get your conundrum. If he were a stranger it would be much easier.

hociman

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Dave
Thanks for the advice, you mentioned highview auction site, any particular suggestions??

Jim

a lot of good feedback so far too. i would agree set your eyes on the top dollar cards and judge for yourself. i also agree with taking him to some of the local area card shops see what they offer on the lot of them. but if your going to buy from a friend your treading on thin ice. you can do a lot of damage to the friendship if your offering to low. so be careful.

if i were in your situation i would offer much higher than 20% just because of the friendship, unless its not that great of a friendship and you dont plan on seeing him again.

so lets assume the cards are near mint and in sweet condition. make your offer on the vintage stuff and leave the 80s junk out of the mix. and when doing the offering your going to have to either decide to sell the sets or break them up. the sets with high value cards can bring some good money. but cherry picking, then grading them and selling them on a highview auction site (not ebay) you could make much more. soooo off on the basis of what you feel you can recoup on the resell. then be honest, make a fair offer and see what he takes.

good luck dave

Dave Lima

Prospect
Dave
Thanks for the advice, you mentioned highview auction site, any particular suggestions??

OH!!! you would ask that lol i have never actually used any but i get all kinds of flyers in my PSA submissions as well as in the PSA magazine. lots of them out there i personally cant recommend any but i bet others can.

Dave