Ordering stuff from Japan

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
This isn't really intented to be a shill, more a product review.

I recently tried out KuboTEN.com, which is a newer proxy bidding service. I picked up a lot of 27 different Tuffy Rhodes cards as well as the '96 Takara Nippon Ham Fighters set.

Here's the breakdown of how it went:

The Rhodes 27 card lot (these are usualy $4-10 each from the US sites that have the individual cards) went for 1500¥ + 80¥, so 1580¥.

KuboTEN adds a 10% fee on all auctions (8% for online store purchases, but that doesn't include fixed price Yahoo Auction items), so + 158¥ = 1738¥.

KuboTEN also charges a $10 handling fee for all transactions, so factoring in a $1=87¥ exchange rate at the time, this came out to $29.95 total once I won the auction.

Once an auction has been won, they'll hold it at their storage facility in Japan until you're ready for them to ship it to you. This way, you can save on shipping if you're winning or buying multiple items, they'll just re-package it and ship it to you all at once either Express Mail (costs more, but includes tracking) or First Class Airmail (cheaper, but no tracking). For both the 27 card lot & the Fighters set, shipping was just $5 from KuboTEN to me.

Now, I think I somewhat overpaid for the Takara set (nearly $40!, I routinely find these sets for more like $12 on eBay, but could never find the Fighters set), but $30 or so for 27 Tuffy Rhodes cards is a pretty good deal.

The biggest thing I liked about KuboTEN as opposed to other proxy services was the lack of an up-front fee to establish an account (some charge up to $50-70 JUST to open an account), and they take PayPal (and if you have actual money in your PayPal, as opposed to just being tied to a credit card or bank account, the sales percentages they charge are a few points less if no credit card charges are involved).

They only just shipped my stuff today, so I'll update on shipping time once I receive my items.

Loyalty32

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the info! I'm always looking for new places that may have something of Dawson I need. They do have 4 cards of his listed, but I have them already. Any chance you have any Warren Cromartie cards from his time in Japan? I was curious to see if Andre Dawson was mentioned on any of them. They played together in Montreal and he was considering signing there with Cro after the '86 season.

Thanks
Craig

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
That'll be pretty tough to work out since 99% of Japanese cards from that era were completely in Japanese. I'll see what I can find, though!

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
Well, I received my shipment of the two Yahoo Auctions I won via KuboTEN. Everything was shipped on 28 September and arrived here 9 days later on 8 October. Despite hugely over-paying on the Takara set just to get the Bernardo Brito card (though I totally stole a 1990 Topps TV Yankees Winfield on eBay for $3, so that sort of evens out), everything worked out great!

I'd definitely say unless you are looking for a seriously high end or tough card where an extra $10-$15 doesn't really matter to you, I probably wouldn't go the proxy bidding service route for single cards, as the fees will kill you, but I think this was definitely worth the expense for the set and the lot of Tuffy Rhodes cards I got.

So far, KuboTEN.com is highly recommended.

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
I just received a larger shipment from KuboTEN yesterday. I'll say this, if you don't absolutely HAVE to have insurance and tracking, don't use EMS Express. It is expensive! First Class Airmail is only a few days slower and costs less than 50% as much.

In any case, I asked on their message board and was told that if you win multiple auctions from the same seller and the end within hours of each other, they only charge a single $10 fee. So potentially it could be worth the effort if you could find the same seller with multiple singles you need that were ending around the same time. I just won a couple of lots of Tuffy Rhodes cards that way and saved myself $10 on the deal (though I'm still probably paying over $30 for the lot anyway).

David K.

5.00 star(s)
The first name sounds familiar to me....is that the huge Japanese baseball & collectibles dealership? Happy New Year! David

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
The first name sounds familiar to me....is that the huge Japanese baseball & collectibles dealership? Happy New Year! David

I think that's The Mint chain of stores. Though if you know of another one, I'd love to hear about it!

Nice. Any chance you picked up any Tsuyoshi Shinjo Japanese cards you'd be willing to spare?

Let me go hunting, I know I've seen a couple.

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
Source for Japanese singles (cards, not dating!)

Alright, I FINALLY found an online baseball card shop in Japan that has a fairly extensive inventory of singles:

http://mitchael-trading.com

David, this may have been the store you were thinking of.