Photobucket website's malicious warnings?

mightydon

5.00 star(s)
Just to warn you guys, I was on photobucket tonight and got a warning on my computer that photobucket could have malicious downloads/spyware/ect and suggested I leave the site. Be careful. I got a nasty worm last week and had to rebuild my computer and took 3 days. It wiped out everything.

Has photobucket had issues in the past? With so many links to photobucket, I am hesitant to visit the site, let alone update my site anytime soon.

jaxbraves

5.00 star(s)
Just to warn you guys, I was on photobucket tonight and got a warning on my computer that photobucket could have malicious downloads/spyware/ect and suggested I leave the site. Be careful. I got a nasty worm last week and had to rebuild my computer and took 3 days. It wiped out everything.

Has photobucket had issues in the past? With so many links to photobucket, I am hesitant to visit the site, let alone update my site anytime soon.

In the past 2 years I have seen that warning come up when I opened my Bucket. I ignore it as I believe it to be a virus as well.

Rich

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Got the same warning a few days ago....going thru someones's photobucket site for a possible trade or deal....warned the guy and he claimed first time he heard about this! Did not go back! Best regards, David

sandman43103

4.90 star(s)
Somehow, unbeknownst to me, I downloaded and installed a program called Desktop Defender from Photobucket. It looks like it is a virus scanner, but the screens are fake and it's a bandwidth thief. It wasn't very hard to remove (already had Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on my computer), but it was annoying and my internet connection was slow for the two days it was there.

I only use Picasa, now. A good indication to me that Photobucket is probably not a good website is the fact that most military stations have blocked it.

jrchoholic83

5.00 star(s)
Malware Bytes from malwarebytes.org usually cleans this one up. Whoever put this nasty virus together pays photobucket for advertising and it tricks people into buying this product, I have contacted photobucket many times and they acknowledge that they are "working on it" which I don't buy.

SWITCH TO PICASA WEB ALBUMS!

Jeremy

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Somehow, unbeknownst to me, I downloaded and installed a program called Desktop Defender from Photobucket. It looks like it is a virus scanner, but the screens are fake and it's a bandwidth thief. It wasn't very hard to remove (already had Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on my computer), but it was annoying and my internet connection was slow for the two days it was there.

I only use Picasa, now. A good indication to me that Photobucket is probably not a good website is the fact that most military stations have blocked it.
Interesting...Best regards, David
Malware Bytes from malwarebytes.org usually cleans this one up. Whoever put this nasty virus together pays photobucket for advertising and it tricks people into buying this product, I have contacted photobucket many times and they acknowledge that they are "working on it" which I don't buy.

SWITCH TO PICASA WEB ALBUMS!

Jeremy

They need to protect their customers. Best regards, David

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
add me to the list of ex-photobucket users!

I was on here at The Bench on our other PC yesterday evening...clicked a link from a member advertising their bucket and was immediately locked up. Had to power down manually to restart. When it started back up I kept getting the annoying pop-ups saying my computer was infected and I needed to download this and that to get rid of it. Kept CTRL-ALT-DELETEing the program and since the computer is wireless internet it just kept coming up. So I ran Norton anti virus software which took about an hour and it didn't even find any problems! I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on this PC so I loaded it up on the other and thankfully I finally got rid of the problem last night.

After seeing other members with photobucket problems and experiencing them first-hand, I see it highly unlikely that I will ever click a photobucket link again. Definately not going to risk clicking them at work!!!

I am going to sign up for the Picasa and play around with that for a while. I'm just nervous about somehow getting photos in my bucket transferred over...

I may have to add to my sig that I do not check "Photobucket" pages...

anyone else?

p.s.: i see a new acronym coming along in the near future.... "CMP"

Last edited:

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
welcome to the club Biggio!

played with the Picasa program last night and I'm very impressed! It even has an option to import the photos directly from your scanner...so no opening of one program then saving then opening browser then uploading. It is all done in one easy to use application! Also has nice photo editing options/effects...

CMPWA :)

porkchops

5.00 star(s)
I've yet to notice any problem with my bucket or when looking
at others.Do these things just strike randomly or should we all
be experiencing it?
Ken

mightydon

5.00 star(s)
Yeah, I am not a computer expert so hopefully I have many of my pics saved on my comp somewhere so I can just upload them to picasa....photobucket RIP!

porkchops, I would watch out and be careful what you click on...Seems like there are more and more people having issues.

baseball24

5.00 star(s)
add me to the list of ex-photobucket users!

I was on here at The Bench on our other PC yesterday evening...clicked a link from a member advertising their bucket and was immediately locked up. Had to power down manually to restart. When it started back up I kept getting the annoying pop-ups saying my computer was infected and I needed to download this and that to get rid of it. Kept CTRL-ALT-DELETEing the program and since the computer is wireless internet it just kept coming up. So I ran Norton anti virus software which took about an hour and it didn't even find any problems! I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on this PC so I loaded it up on the other and thankfully I finally got rid of the problem last night.

After seeing other members with photobucket problems and experiencing them first-hand, I see it highly unlikely that I will ever click a photobucket link again. Definately not going to risk clicking them at work!!!

I am going to sign up for the Picasa and play around with that for a while. I'm just nervous about somehow getting photos in my bucket transferred over...

I may have to add to my sig that I do not check "Photobucket" pages...

anyone else?

p.s.: i see a new acronym coming along in the near future.... "CMP"

I had the same problem. At first, I ran Norton Scan and it found nothing as well. I eventually kept CTRL-ALT-Delete for about 5-10 minutes and finally closed the program before it closed itself.

tigerace14

5.00 star(s)
Interesting to know guys...thanks....I don't like photobucket anyhow and still haven't learned how to upload from there. I have clicked on a few buckets and my Norton caught the virus right away, thankfully.

I will try picasa and see how I do....it would be nice to get some scans up of my cards.......finally....:D

bjbsue

5.00 star(s)
:confused:
So,as long as you don't click on any downloads,
you should have no problem? Or not?
Ken

Hi,

I don't think you have to click on anything. We have gotten a message twice from our MacAfee that it blocked a trojan while we were on Photobucket. And I NEVER click on any ads on a site like Photobucket.

But, I looked at Picasa once for work and did not like it. I just had a hard time trying to do what I wanted. I have well over a 1000 images in my bucket and really don't want to move them to another site.

Sue

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
Think of how easy it is to jump to photobucket through links too. The WWW buttons here probably take you to that site on a number of members..I believe mine does, but then again, maybe I still have ebay linked.

I read somewhere that Safari is unaffected, which is what my computer has, but I hesitate to test that theory. Don't need any computer hassles!!

porkchops

5.00 star(s)
I have no intention of switching from Photobucket to Picasa
or anything else.Since my Bucket is(mostly)for display and
not(mainly)for trading,staying put won't affect anything along
that line.Besides,I like the way things are setup there.I've
experienced no problems to date and"IF"I should get a message
advising me to exit,well,I'll exit and come back later.
Drop in if inclined and feel free to leave any comments as to
content or setup.Most items are NFT,but you never know.
Hopefully,this mess will get straightened out soon,
Ken

cadets68

5.00 star(s)
I have been hit with the virus 2 times this year. And I hardly ever use the lousy site anymore. I am going to have to figure out Picasa.

Shawn