PO Might cut Saturdays

cdahlk2001

5.00 star(s)
they need to cut out a tuesday or wednesday too! they going to go belly up soon...... i think the saturday is a great idea. prices maybe able to hold for awhile.... at least 6 monthes ;)

OriolesFan8

5.00 star(s)
they need to cut out a tuesday or wednesday too! they going to go belly up soon...... i think the saturday is a great idea. prices maybe able to hold for awhile.... at least 6 monthes ;)
They are talking about cutting Saturday and raising postage prices. Not good news for us traders who have to use the mail.

Todd

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
Set collectors like myself, are screwed cause how else are we going to complete our sets.

worldwideed

5.00 star(s)
If rates go up any more I could see myself cutting way back of trades and probably even some ebay stuff.

I love how when Postage goes up $0.20 eBay seller fees go up $1. And the description always reads something like this, "sorry I had to raise my rates because of the recent USPS hike, there is nothing I can do about this, please don't contact me about it".

jflan702

5.00 star(s)
Well, I guess I'll just have to buy more blasters to complete my sets. It's a good thing that I'm only doing the base Topps sets now. I guess this could be an upside to UD getting booted by MLB, less sets for me to put together.
I think email will finally put the PO out of business.

Thanks,

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Cut back on my trades after the May rate hikes! I was doing about 98 trades per month...since May.....doing about 83 trades per month...Next rate hike...I could be doing 68 trades per month......They have been talking about this for years... dropping Saturday....They will be open and taking mail..just no delivery it. Best regards, David

Last edited:

David K.

5.00 star(s)
People were complaining about the 2 cent rise on first class mail......The killer .....that most people did not see...but seller and traders...was the .50 cent to .75 cent for the Delivery confirmation ......a 50 percent hike rate!!! Best regards, David

SevensGotAGun

5.00 star(s)
Im getting conflicting reports as to the news at 4pm, they reported that the Sat. service HAD been suspended but then I heard they were going to vote. I would think that a weekday possibly Tuesday instead of Saturday would be more appealing. Many people (not myself) cant get to the P.O. all week and only mail on Sat.
I also understand the email and online bill pay deal that cuts into thier profits. Why dont they offer a hub where you can do all of these sanctioned by the USPS. Would give them extra income to make up for a portion of thier losses. Ebay and card traders dealing should if anything make up for a nice portion. Can you imagine if all the card traders quit or cut back because of rate hikes and the deficit the USPS would face then.
Our govt is collapsing around us piece by piece and no one seems to know how to fix it. Its a shame the customers have to bail them out.

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
Im getting conflicting reports as to the news at 4pm, they reported that the Sat. service HAD been suspended but then I heard they were going to vote. I would think that a weekday possibly Tuesday instead of Saturday would be more appealing. Many people (not myself) cant get to the P.O. all week and only mail on Sat.
I also understand the email and online bill pay deal that cuts into thier profits. Why dont they offer a hub where you can do all of these sanctioned by the USPS. Would give them extra income to make up for a portion of thier losses. Ebay and card traders dealing should if anything make up for a nice portion. Can you imagine if all the card traders quit or cut back because of rate hikes and the deficit the USPS would face then.
Our govt is collapsing around us piece by piece and no one seems to know how to fix it. Its a shame the customers have to bail them out.
They are in a $10BIL hole as it is, I work in the mail industry and it's not pretty.

The "Green" movement is killing a ton of jobs. Not just the online bill pay but the option to go paperless statements it's all a great big snow ball. I can see it being down to mail delivery twice a week in the very near future. The post offices around here already have a different schedule (been like that for 2 years now) Open at 10AM and close at 4PM, good thing they have APC or I would never get out a package.

Mail twice a week makes sense and would save a ton of money on salaries an benefits, what's the difference if I get me cable bill on Monday or Thursday it's still not due for 2 weeks.

cdahlk2001

5.00 star(s)
the PO isnt shut down....just delivery on saturday. u can still go to the po and send stuff out and pick up stuff. just no carrier delivery. they look at saturday cuz buisnesses are open (MAJORITY of them NOT ALL) M-F and this benfits them. thats the big uproar. the consumer wants a tuesday or wednesday and the buisnnesses want saturday. they have offered the businneses PO boxes so they still can get therte mail on saturday if its all that important. so there are ways around. but PO needs to do something or u will be sending stuff UPS and u think the PO is bad w/ prices.... UPS and FedEx are MORE. 44 cents for a letter IS NOT THAT BAD.....

David K.

5.00 star(s)
If they decide to rise the first class mail price..Hopefully, it will be a nice round figure of 50 cent......and lock it in for at least one whole year! Best regards, David

cdahlk2001

5.00 star(s)
yes every place has IFs....If the cop dosent abuse his power, If the zCEO dosent fake profits to boost the Stock, If the car salesmen dosent sell you a hoopty, If the Cable guy comes between 10-3, If that teacher dosent cross the line w/ a student.... there are IFs Everywhere. Yes there are BAD employees everywhere..... thats why i wish there wasnt UNIONS to protect the fools.

dp33

5.00 star(s)
It still costs less to mail a card than buy a pack, so a slight rise in price won't really impact my trading. If I needed five cards for a set or a refractor for my pc, it would still cost me less to mail someone a trade then to buy the pack, even if I managed to beat the nearly impossible odds of getting all 5 cards I need in one pack or finding the exact refractor I'm looking for. (though I went to the LCS last night needing a 2010 Heritage Lincecum SP and got one in the 6 packs I opened).

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
Mail twice a week makes sense and would save a ton of money on salaries an benefits, what's the difference if I get me cable bill on Monday or Thursday it's still not due for 2 weeks.

I ALMOST agree. I think two days would be too big a cut but I could certainly see a mon-wed-fri schedule for deliveries and have the bm po's open monday thru saturday. Maybe even close em on tuesday or wednesday.

Last edited:

chief wahoo

5.00 star(s)
I wish they would cut out Tuesdays instead of Saturdays. Tuesday is the day we get all the crap junk mail ... I think they intentionally hold regular pieces for the next day so they can sort through and get out all of the coupons and catalogs in one day.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Only the PO thinks that raising prices will help drive a revenue increase. If Wal-Mart has 10,000 microwave ovens that have been in their warehouse for a year and aren't selling at 100 bucks apiece, they aren't raising the cost to 125 bucks to get rid of them, they will drop the price to 75 bucks, watch them all sell and pick up additional money because of the additional in store traffic.

Every time they raise the 1st class rate, more people make the decision to go to online bill pay and once those people are gone, they aren't coming back. Just my humble opinion, but if the PO dropped the price to 40 cents a stamp and held all other prices the same and eliminated all the unnecessary positions at the PO, I would wager their revenues would take a jump.

indigo27

5.00 star(s)
Except that the USPS doesn't have any "other" product for which additional foot traffic would be useful.

Adjusted for inflation, postage should actually be more -- about .50. And even that's still way too low considering the costs of actually delivering mail. Would you expect UPS or FedEx to EVER charge you less than $7-8 for anything? Yet we expect the USPS to deliver parcels for about half of what the competition does?

Strangely, in spite of all the gripes against the USPS, I still get my USPS deliveries much, much faster through them than with the much more expensive UPS.

Only the PO thinks that raising prices will help drive a revenue increase. If Wal-Mart has 10,000 microwave ovens that have been in their warehouse for a year and aren't selling at 100 bucks apiece, they aren't raising the cost to 125 bucks to get rid of them, they will drop the price to 75 bucks, watch them all sell and pick up additional money because of the additional in store traffic.

Every time they raise the 1st class rate, more people make the decision to go to online bill pay and once those people are gone, they aren't coming back. Just my humble opinion, but if the PO dropped the price to 40 cents a stamp and held all other prices the same and eliminated all the unnecessary positions at the PO, I would wager their revenues would take a jump.

Sponsors