Post Character Limit

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Effective immediately, there will now be a post character limit of 100,000 characters. Any posts over that many characters will not be allowed. A vast majority of you will never even notice this limit, and those of you who do will only see it in a few of your posts.

Just for information's sake, at the time of this writing there are over 975,000 posts on The Bench. Of those, only 23 posts are currently above the 100,000 character limit.

These posts are throwing server errors because they're timing out while processing. In other words, it's taking the server longer than 30 seconds to process some of these posts, so the server is just giving up. Also, the threads with these posts in them take a long time to render, use more server memory, and take a long time to download if you're on a slower connection.

We may have to reduce the limit more at a later time, but we'll see how it goes with a 100,000 character limit first.

In case we do have to reduce the limit later, here a few more numbers for you all so you can feel better about the fact that it won't affect you much. There are only a total of 53 posts over 75,000 characters long and only 95 posts over 50,000 characters long.

I don't anticipate having to reduce the limit to anything under 50,000 characters, and I'm hoping 100,000 will be fine, but I just wanted to get you all that info just in case.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Mike, I'm not sure if my posts are that long. What will happen to the few that are over the limit? Thanks. Dave

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Mike, I'm not sure if my posts are that long. What will happen to the few that are over the limit? Thanks. Dave
Mike
I know my trade post is over that limit. Will I be able to fix that tonight when I get home from work?
@anglinomics, nothing will happen to the ones that are over the limit right now, unless you try to edit them.

@greatdadx2, yes, all your posts will be just as they are now. I'm not going to edit/remove anything from any posts that already exist on the site. This only applies to new posts, or posts that are edited.

If you try to edit the post, unless you get it below the limit, you'll be met with an error and it won't save.