Problem getting my oil changed today

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
I purchased a brand new Nissan Sentra in 2004 from Sheridan Nissan in New Castle. My sales representative was Mr. ???. He was an excellent salesman and I was very comfortable with him. When I purchased my vehicle, Sheridan was running an OIL CHANGE PROGRAM. The deal was pay $99 at the time of purchase and receive FREE OIL CHANGES for as long as you own the vehicle. I took advantage of this great program and all of my oil changes have been done at Sheridan Nissan ever since.

I've never had an issue with this until recently. A few months ago I scheduled an oil change and when I arrived they asked if I was enrolled in the oil change program, which I told them I was. They did some research, but couldn't find any record of it. Ultimately they did grant me the free oil change under the program and I was on my way.

Today I had an oil change scheduled for 10:00 am at Sheridan Nissan and upon arrival, again they asked me if I was enrolled in the oil change program. Again I told them yes and asked why they keep asking me that. They asked if I had a "BLUE" card stating that I was part of the program. I told them that I NEVER received any such card.

A gentleman from the service department was summoned to the service desk and he said that they had no record of me purchasing this program. Apparently there was some "shady" bookkeeping done in the past and no "official" records were kept of customers that did purchase the program. Mr. ??? said that they were giving away free oil changes to all customers based on their word in the past. So to stop giving away free oil changes they stopped ALL free oil changes unless you had this mysterious "BLUE" card. I was told that I would not get my free oil change today, but I could purchase the free oil change program AGAIN at the $99 price tag. I refused to pay $99 AGAIN.

While I'm sure there are dishonest people out there trying to get something for nothing, I am not one of them. Why should you believe me and not everyone else? If you look back at the service history of the vehicle, you will see that every oil change that has been done in the 5+ years that I've owned the vehicle had been done at Sheridan Nissan under this program. Why would I lie now? It is not my fault that your bookkeeping was suspect when you started this program. With today's economy and the decline in car sales, this is NOT good business practice.

YOUR THOUGHTS

97honda

5.00 star(s)
Seems very typical of the dealerships around here too. One dealership will charge $8/quart of fluid, another has the same fluid for $2.39/quart. Some charge $90 to look in a computer for a security code while others do it free. there is always fine print and always someone looking to cheat you out of something.

Not much you can do about it unless you have an invoice stating you bought the program originally. I'm suprised that the price is still $99 for that.

SevensGotAGun

5.00 star(s)
It seems like they would have AT LEAST one statement in 5 years that showed you paid nothing for one specific oil change if not several statements. Thus if you recieved any free oil changes you would have an arguement that you were under some sort of plan. But I know how some dealers are...my father was sent home with a car to try for a weekend and they only had him sign a paper stating he was responsible for the car that weekend. When he brought the car back on Monday they had ran his loan through and his "signature" was on the loan papers. Somehow they a worked in the paper he signed into loan papers.

The GU Guy

4.80 star(s)
I am a machanic in nyc and can tell you first hand that anything you go to the dealer for is a ripoff they get you for every little penny they can and they charge a arm and a leg this was probably a program they tried and when they saw a lot of people doing the program they canceled it and started some thing new with the blue card but did not tell you in hopes that you would spend another 99$ on garbage you should only get your oil changed every 3,000 miles and if they try to flush your motor tell them to flush there a-- and this also goes for the transmission as well

Myerburg311

4.90 star(s)
Atleast the dealership you bought it from is still there.. I bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee in February of 2008.. They closed this past summer so I need to find a Jeep dealership close to me to go to for those repairs!

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
Well I've already contacted some local media outlets to explain what happened. Maybe they'll run a story about their crooked ways for all to read.

97honda

5.00 star(s)
I am a machanic in nyc and can tell you first hand that anything you go to the dealer for is a ripoff they get you for every little penny they can and they charge a arm and a leg this was probably a program they tried and when they saw a lot of people doing the program they canceled it and started some thing new with the blue card but did not tell you in hopes that you would spend another 99$ on garbage you should only get your oil changed every 3,000 miles and if they try to flush your motor tell them to flush there a-- and this also goes for the transmission as well

Every 3,000 miles for an oil change is garbage as well. Use the manufacturers specs for it. The specs are in the owners manual, most recommend to get oil changes around every 6,500 miles or so. This has been the case for every car I have known and been around. Some people actually say that every 3,000 miles will hurt the car but I don't believe that.

Myerburg- Why use a dealership for everything? Most people don't realize that dealerships hire the same techs as pretty much every car shop.

Last edited:

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
I did a little searching and I found the ORIGINAL invoice showing my purchase for the $99 OIL CHANGE CLUB! I'm going to scan it and email it to their GM. Won't he and the rest of their staff look like morons!

And I agree that an oil change every 3,000 miles is ridiculous. I had mine done every 4,000 to 5,000 miles.

fatrat

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the heads-up. Sheridan is right across the river from me in New Castle. I'll avoid them like the plague!

Myerburg311

4.90 star(s)
I normally don't go to the dealers, it's just that I paid an extra 1200 for an extended warranty.. So for those issues covered by my warranty I can go to the dealership

97honda

5.00 star(s)
I normally don't go to the dealers, it's just that I paid an extra 1200 for an extended warranty.. So for those issues covered by my warranty I can go to the dealership

That makes sense then. Is it a warranty for that dealer only though or any dealership?

Dankir- That is always a good thing to find, personally I would take it there in person and talk to the manager and the employees you talked to and show it to them then, do not let them keep the invoice though.

Myerburg311

4.90 star(s)
It was a Jeep warranty.. the PIA is that the next closest dealership is like 30 minutes away without traffic, (benny season will take me 45-60 minutes)whereas this one was 5..

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
I learned to hate dealerships when I delivered radiators. We had three price sheets, one for the general public (highest price), one for dealerships (lowest price) and one for all other service stations and repair shops (middle price). What stuck in my craw was when I saw the prices dealerships charged. They get a radiator for say $200 and sell it to the customer for $600 while the local repair shop might have to pay $300 for the exact same part and only charge the customer $400.

It just seems wrong when the guy getting the best deal gives the worst deal to the consumer.

saferseas

5.00 star(s)
the every 3,000 mile oil change thing was just something service stations and jiffy lube-type of places made up in order to get more frequent business. Most typical drivers can go up to 4500 miles between oil changes, unless you drive a lot....delivery jobs, etc.

porkchops

5.00 star(s)
The 99 Saturn(122,800 miles) went right through inspection today.:D
Thought for sure they'd find something wrong.
As far as oil changes go,I wait till it's been about 4,000 miles.
Ken

clinton

5.00 star(s)
Any money chain that involves a dealer/service center/customer format will fall under the same thing. Its rather common. Its not just in car dealerships.

I learned to hate dealerships when I delivered radiators. We had three price sheets, one for the general public (highest price), one for dealerships (lowest price) and one for all other service stations and repair shops (middle price). What stuck in my craw was when I saw the prices dealerships charged. They get a radiator for say $200 and sell it to the customer for $600 while the local repair shop might have to pay $300 for the exact same part and only charge the customer $400.

It just seems wrong when the guy getting the best deal gives the worst deal to the consumer.