PSA grading on 1986 Fleer Basketball set w/ stickers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trapped212

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hello,

As someone who has never sent in a card to be graded, I have the following question. We have a 1986 fleer basketball set that was put together from a box in 1986 so the cards have only been handled once or twice. After seeing the insane prices for graded versions of these cards, we wanted to know if it is in our interest to get the set graded. Is it reliable to send to PSA to have it graded? Are the stories of "sketchy" switching of cards true or just an urban legend? For example, what would be the actual cost of the Jordan being graded as opposed to a Barkley rookie or just a basic common? We plan on researching this further through PSA and such, but was just hoping that if anyone had any thoughts or opinions that they would share it here. Thank you for any time and feedback that you are willing to share.
Jeff

I dont think anybody switches the cards. That is a myth in my opinion. If you send them in, the Jordan is goin g to cost quite a bit to get graded because of their declared value. I would definately go top tier to get them back as fast as possible. To send to PSA you have to buy a membership as far as I know. I personally like Beckett better but that is just me as it seems that psa is super popular right now even with all the trimming scandals.

I rarely submit cards myself but as long as they grade well, the value will increase. I wouldn't worry about grading most cards in that set - just the key rookies. Make sure you check them over carefully for condition issues and centering does count. You can check the other cards and if you see singles that look like a 9/10 they may be worth sending as well. I always try and be extra cautious when checking cards because paying the grading fee and getting back a low grade would stink. Most people skip over the surface. so be sure you check that as well.

PSA is the way to go on these. You do not have to join the Collector's Club on PSA to submit cards - they used to give you free submission coupons when you signed up but that is gone now.

Even out of the box, cards can have condition issues - especially older cards and if they've been stored it's possible that something has happened there as well (fading, surface issues, etc.).

You may want to put it out there as a key set - highlight the Jordan, Barkley, etc. with individual scans/pictures and post as a buy it now with offers to see what you get. You might get a nice surprise.

I rarely submit cards myself but as long as they grade well, the value will increase. I wouldn't worry about grading most cards in that set - just the key rookies. Make sure you check them over carefully for condition issues and centering does count. You can check the other cards and if you see singles that look like a 9/10 they may be worth sending as well. I always try and be extra cautious when checking cards because paying the grading fee and getting back a low grade would stink. Most people skip over the surface. so be sure you check that as well.

PSA is the way to go on these. You do not have to join the Collector's Club on PSA to submit cards - they used to give you free submission coupons when you signed up but that is gone now.

Even out of the box, cards can have condition issues - especially older cards and if they've been stored it's possible that something has happened there as well (fading, surface issues, etc.).

You may want to put it out there as a key set - highlight the Jordan, Barkley, etc. with individual scans/pictures and post as a buy it now with offers to see what you get. You might get a nice surprise.
Thank you very much for the insightful reply. We truly appreciate it.