Question about custom frames

Matthewbritton

5.00 star(s)
Hey Benchies,

This year I had the pleasure of having my childhood hero, Ryne Sandberg, autograph a jersey in person. I'd like to get it framed, but from the little shopping I have done so far it seems as if it will cost in excess of $300 even with the 55-60% discounts at Michael's. Has anyone had any luck finding good deals on custom frames, or have any suggestions of where I might find a better deal?

Thanks!
Matt

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
Around here there used to be "you frame it" stores. Don't know if they even exist anymore but you might check it out. Of course you have to have a rudimentary idea of what you're doing.

ragtop12

5.00 star(s)
Framing is expensive in general. My aunt-in-law owns a framing store and the material needed for the frame is expensive, especially if you get the good glass to protect the jersey. Also, it takes framers a lot of time to frame specialty items. Good luck with your hunt in finding a cheap framer... just remember, if it is TOO cheap, it may be TOO good to be true :)

Matthewbritton

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for all of the suggestions. It sounds like I just may have to save up if I want to get it done. For those who have done it, do you think it was worth it?

jimmyharcar

5.00 star(s)
Yes, it is worth it. I bought an original 1/1 20 by 24 canvas painting of Dizzy Dean that is awesome. Very classy as well. I paid to get it properly framed at Michaels. They have the 60% off coupons every week or two and most of their competition does as well. Something as nice asa painting or signed jersey is worth it to me to pay the extra to get it professionaly framed. It looks classier. Just my two cents.

Brettfan

5.00 star(s)
Matthew,

I am a "professional" picture framer. Quotes because I never took the time to be certified but I have worked in this industry since 1992. Worked at Michael's for a couple of years and wouldn't trust them with a signed Ryne Sandberg jersey. They employ high school students and poorly trained individuals (saw plenty of stuff ruined while working there).

The problem with framing jerseys is the time required to mount them. In most cases they are hand sewn to an acid-free matboard. Plus, like Obed stated framing materials in general are pretty expensive.

I have a couple of signed jerseys that need framing. At one of the shows that I attended I purchased the following jersey frames~

http://www.framinglife.com/

One of the reasons I like this system is that the jersey can easily be removed and repositioned if necessary. Also, the matboard behind the piece can be changed but most importantly all of the materials are archival safe so the jersey won't fade or discolor over time.

Hope that helped,
Melissa

Matthewbritton

5.00 star(s)
Matthew,

I am a "professional" picture framer. Quotes because I never took the time to be certified but I have worked in this industry since 1992. Worked at Michael's for a couple of years and wouldn't trust them with a signed Ryne Sandberg jersey. They employ high school students and poorly trained individuals (saw plenty of stuff ruined while working there).

The problem with framing jerseys is the time required to mount them. In most cases they are hand sewn to an acid-free matboard. Plus, like Obed stated framing materials in general are pretty expensive.

I have a couple of signed jerseys that need framing. At one of the shows that I attended I purchased the following jersey frames~

http://www.framinglife.com/

One of the reasons I like this system is that the jersey can easily be removed and repositioned if necessary. Also, the matboard behind the piece can be changed but most importantly all of the materials are archival safe so the jersey won't fade or discolor over time.

Hope that helped,
Melissa

This is very helpful. I will look further into this. Thanks very much.