Question about offering arbitration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vman1111

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Are we going to be allowed to offer arbitration to our FA if we don't have any room in our budget? I am confident that my budget will increase next year but as it stands I have no room to resign any of my free agents.

When I played my practice league.. You were able to counter the
arbitration price and then the arbiter would decide who wins and
sets the price for the following year.. Hoping that it is the same for
BSL league.. Gives you the chance to at least save some of the
salary that the greedy players are looking to get.

Are we going to be allowed to offer arbitration to our FA if we don't have any room in our budget? I am confident that my budget will increase next year but as it stands I have no room to resign any of my free agents.

I think that's why there is an estimated arbitration figure in your budget already so you can plan going forward. It's nobody's fault but your own if you exceed the ability to offer money to these guys because you were a freespender in other areas of your budget. I know that a lot of people called up their best prospects this year without regard to how it impacts their ability to manage out their contracts long term. Some guys you'll find are better off to walk, and too many people are offering extentions well beyond the usefulness of a player to the overall team budget concept. This is roughly the same group of people from the other league who had a dozen guys making big bucks and everyone else a minimum rookie salary.

The next season's budget (media revenue, revenue sharing from luxury tax, etc) is provided by the game the day after the World Series. Teams will go up and down according to owner preference, team performance, etc.

The arbitration 'estimates' are already calculated into your projected payroll figures, so unless you lose a lot of budget room, you have an idea of what the PLAYER will want. Keep in mind, you can non-tender (not offer a salary to, essentially releasing) a player, and also you can offer LESS than the player wants. On the arb day, the cases go before a panel, and the game panel decides if the player or team is 'victorious'. In my testing, it varied greatly on player performance, their financial expectations, etc.

Cory