Question for cat owners

pac_rat_76

5.00 star(s)
Have you ever had to have an enema done to your cat? One of our cats had what I would describe as dry heaves and was not eating for a couple of days, so I brought him to the vet yesterday. X-Rays revealed he was really backed up so they performed an enema and gave him some fluids. Today he had his appetite back but while I was out running some errands he had thrown up all that he had ate. Is that common after an enema or is it a sign of more serious complications? I called the vet but they must be really busy as I have yet to hear back from them. I'm hoping it's just stress or something as he is not a happy camper in car rides or at the vet's office!

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
Lifetime cat owner here and I used to work at a vets practice:)

Not uncommon for your cat to have thrown up. Even though he had fluids he doesn't understand that and may have gorged himself, which would explain why the food was undigested. Throwing up should have nothing to do with the enema as long as any blockage was pretty much taken care of. I would still check with your vet of course but my bet is they will tell you not to worry unless it keeps happening over the next couple of days.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Love cats....I would image...it was feeling better and was probably starved so....it over ate....and this lead to it throwing up! But like Meliah said..best to talk to your vet! Best regards, David

pac_rat_76

5.00 star(s)
Well, he has held down his last two meals but still has a gag reflex every now and then. Nothing comes up, but it bothers me that he's doing it. The vet said to just monitor him and if he starts throwing up again or not eating then they would like to do some blood work. Man, I have no kids and this little guy is like my best friend...too stressful for me!

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
Well, he has held down his last two meals but still has a gag reflex every now and then. Nothing comes up, but it bothers me that he's doing it. The vet said to just monitor him and if he starts throwing up again or not eating then they would like to do some blood work. Man, I have no kids and this little guy is like my best friend...too stressful for me!
Is your cat long or short haired?

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
Man, I have no kids and this little guy is like my best friend...too stressful for me!
I feel your pain. I get VERY attached to my animals.

Both of these gals are long since gone but I can get choked up when remembering them.

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
He is a short hair with a stubby tail by the name of Buster. I'm not sure if the link will work but I have some pics of him on my Facebook if you want to check him out. :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=593142295#!/album.php?aid=17533&id=593142295
Very cute, was he born with that tail or did he lose it as a kitten?

You may not have to deal with it much seeing as how Buster is a short haired cat but I know my long haired ones have hair balls all the time. A lot of times they gag for a bit before or afterwards, I'm guessing something is tickling them or still being worked out:eek: Hopefully nothing out of the norm for him.

How is he been doing today and last night?

pac_rat_76

5.00 star(s)
He was born with the stubby tail which is why we chose him. It made him "unique" and stand out from the rest of the litter.

As far as his health he has been acting normal, eating normal, and is still playful. We have 2 cats so it is kind of hard to monitor, but I have not visibly seem him drink water or use his litter box (#2). I got him to take some water with his food and I believe he did use his box overnight but am not sure if it was him or the other cat. They have 2 separate litter boxes but for some reason she insists on using his lately..which makes it difficult! The vet believes that there is some kind of obstruction in him and that the gagging is attempts to pass it. She says not to worry too much right now and to just keep monitoring him to see if he passes it or if conditions worse. They did the bloodwork and found nothing. The next step, which hopefully it NEVER comes to, is an exploratory surgery. :(

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
He was born with the stubby tail which is why we chose him. It made him "unique" and stand out from the rest of the litter.

As far as his health he has been acting normal, eating normal, and is still playful. We have 2 cats so it is kind of hard to monitor, but I have not visibly seem him drink water or use his litter box (#2). I got him to take some water with his food and I believe he did use his box overnight but am not sure if it was him or the other cat. They have 2 separate litter boxes but for some reason she insists on using his lately..which makes it difficult! The vet believes that there is some kind of obstruction in him and that the gagging is attempts to pass it. She says not to worry too much right now and to just keep monitoring him to see if he passes it or if conditions worse. They did the bloodwork and found nothing. The next step, which hopefully it NEVER comes to, is an exploratory surgery. :(
Make sure they do x-rays again before getting to that point. I have one cat that eats so much weird stuff I've been thru this a few times:p

pac_rat_76

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the advice and concern! You just don't realize how attached you really are to your pets unless something happens to them. :eek:

Last edited:

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the advice and concern! You just don't realize how attached you really are to your pets unless something happens to me. :eek:
Actually if something happened to you I don't think my cats would be the first thought in my head. First thought would be "Now why would pac think that juggling chainsaws was a good idea?":p

pac_rat_76

5.00 star(s)
Actually if something happened to you I don't think my cats would be the first thought in my head. First thought would be "Now why would pac think that juggling chainsaws was a good idea?":p
Oops..I meant them! Braid dead sometimes. :)

Sponsors