Rangers and Dodgers Spring Training trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbrown2626

Prospect
So I took the family to Spring Training again this year to see the Rangers. After learning the ropes last year we were much more prepared this year and it paid off.

Got to the hotel Wed evening and decided to go to the lobby as I know Ranger players go in and out. Sure enough, 10 minutes after being in the lobby, Neftali Feliz walks by and my kids get his auto. While he is signing, Jurickson Profar starts talking to Feliz and sure enough signs all 4 cards my kids had of him also. Shortly there after, Ranger #1 prospect Rougned Odor comes through and then Jario Beras. Both Odor and Beras seemed a little shocked that they were recognized in their plain street clothes. Not a bad start to the trip I might say.

First day on back fields crowds are light, Both kids get Shin-Shoo Choo on ROMLB’s. Not much else is happening as the Rangers are playing away so we head over to Peoria to catch the game. Literally maybe 1000 folks at the game. In the first, Elvis Andrus jogs in and my kids yell at him for the ball. He tosses it to them and my kid drops it. Elvis walks over and says “you gotta catch that man” and hands him the ball. Elvis signed the ball for him after the game as well. Kids got Ian Kennedy and Josh Johnson after the game from the Padres side.

Day two we head to Dodgers camp as we moved from LA to TX 10 yrs ago so mom and dad are Dodgers fans also. Kids stake out a spot and sure enough it pays off. They got Mark McGwire, Kershaw and Ron Cey all on ROMLB’s. Not much happening in the game as my kids were wiped out by the practice fields and the crowd.

Day three. We hung out on the Ranger back fields all day. Minors were doing game simulations using pitching machines. My kids were literally the only 2 kids back there. The got about 2 dozen foul balls and then the autos started. Got all the Rangers top prospects, Alfaro, Guzman, Williams, Gallo, Brinson, etc. you name it they got it.

Day 4 last day, we hung out at the big league camp. My wife of all folks got Yu Darvish while my kids were waiting for Prince or Beltre (neither of which signed). Kids got Moreland, Arancibia, Martin Perez, Matt Harrison and many more. Here are some of the pics:

Martin Perez
108_zpsad2b184e.jpg

Nick Martinez
104_zps54132a4d.jpg

Lewis Brinson
094_zpsf77eda00.jpg

Alfaro
089_zps607e727f.jpg

Gallo
084_zps2873440a.jpg

Moreland
079_zps44e4ac5f.jpg

Abraham Lincoln
068_zpsba06e965.jpg

Guzman
036_zps14091ebc.jpg

Choo
028_zpsc2bd6d5a.jpg

Kershaw
020_zpsff92e079.jpg

Congrats on a great haul! This is what memories are made of. Thank you for sharing! That's awesome!

Looks awesome. Those books working out well for the kids?

They are a life saver. My kids love them and I think the players appreciate them since you are prepared and they don't have to wait while you thumb through 100 cards looking for theirs. I got a ton of complements on them from folks who were scrambling to get cards out for their kids and several inquiries on how to go about making them.

I actually went with a friend with kids and they missed out on autos because he had to set everything down and thumb through his stack to find the card and by the time he found it, the player had moved on all while my kids were at the ready.

They are a life saver. My kids love them and I think the players appreciate them since you are prepared and they don't have to wait while you thumb through 100 cards looking for theirs. I got a ton of complements on them from folks who were scrambling to get cards out for their kids and several inquiries on how to go about making them.

I actually went with a friend with kids and they missed out on autos because he had to set everything down and thumb through his stack to find the card and by the time he found it, the player had moved on all while my kids were at the ready.

You guys are smart to use those, I used the cardboard back of a legal pad before with photo corners on both sides. Held 12 cards, 6 on each side, and slid it in a plastic sleeve for graphing, but I think the books make more sense so you can always be prepared, even with players you dont know are going to for sure be there. I see stories all the time where people say "I saw ------- but didnt have anything for him to sign" and this approach makes it much easier. PLUS, when a player sees this, you have a much better chance of getting them to sign whatever you put in front of them. I have seen so many players holding other items (bats, bags, water bottles, Gatorade, phone, etc.) and trying to juggle all of that and hold a pen and card or ball to sign, this just makes it much easier. Especially if your children are trying to collect, it makes the player more at ease, and your child has a better experience. Great work guys, love to see this kind of stuff!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc