Real or fake ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not sure about the Soriano, but the others that were shown above (Clemens and McCovey) most certainly look real! Why would I differentiate? Look at the top layer corners of card that cover the patch (in the "5" of McCovey and the corner of the "P" of Clemens). Someone is EXTREMELY talented to not only remove something without bending those areas - but removing AND replacing with thicker patches? I can see how it would be easier with squares, circles, or othe rpolygons that didn't hav ethe angles going internal - but those two inparticular would make me a believer that patchs can come in cards #'d to 50 and higher.

Not saying Soriano is real, but I definitely see enough evidence to say it is not an automatic fake.

Tim

Wouldn't it be easier for a person replacing GU pieces with patches to just go into the card from the side and not the front? Like DarkBrown mentioned it's the thickness of the cards that make it easier to mess with.

Wouldn't it be easier for a person replacing GU pieces with patches to just go into the card from the side and not the front? Like DarkBrown mentioned it's the thickness of the cards that make it easier to mess with.

Never thought of that, but I'd have to think that separating the layers of the card would make the thin, top layer warped or something. I don't know.....I just wish that card companies would take the time to scan multi-color patches and have a database to match patch with serial number. It would add to the chase of finding a specific patch, and it would protect the people buying the cards at the secondary market level. I know it would be time consuming and would be costly, but I have to think that the company would make more customers spend since the effort is there to thwart con artists.

Tim

Lot of good points guys..

The patch on this Soriano is not thick at all though..The patch is not like bulging out of the card like a lot of patches do..If it's fake, it sure is a well placed fake..I don't see no creasing,no damaged edges around the patch and sides don't look tampered with..To me it still looks to well placed to be true but i can't see no signs that the card has been tampered with and that is what has me curious.

Last edited:
isnt there a year mismatch from when the card says it was worn and from when the patch was actually used on the jerseys? If the years dont jive then I'd say fake. Another thing is that for some reason most of the nice patches are not centered up well by the card companies...a lot are even upside down...so..if you see one that looks really straight and nice...throws up a red flag for me.

The patch on this Soriano is not thick at all though..The patch is not like bulging out of the card like a lot of patches do..If it's fake, it sure is a well placed fake..I don't see no creasing,no damaged edges around the patch and sides don't look tampered with..To me it still looks to well placed to be true but i can't see no signs that the card has been tampered with and that is what has me curious.

That's just too funny ! Unfortunately not ha ha funny. The card companies have done such a poor job that when people see a really nice looking patch they're skeptical of it's authenticity.

Never thought of that, but I'd have to think that separating the layers of the card would make the thin, top layer warped or something. I don't know.....I just wish that card companies would take the time to scan multi-color patches and have a database to match patch with serial number. It would add to the chase of finding a specific patch, and it would protect the people buying the cards at the secondary market level. I know it would be time consuming and would be costly, but I have to think that the company would make more customers spend since the effort is there to thwart con artists.
Tim

I haven't given any thought to how one would seperate cards without damaging the edge at least a little but I actually had a pretty thick Arod gu card from Playoff that seperated on it's own, so there was no damage. It didn't occur to me at the time but I could have made any kind of crazy card I wanted and it would have looked perfect. I just put some contact cement it and put under a book for a day.