September Hit Streak Contest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The marathon that was August is wrapped up..so...Here we go..THE HIT STREAK CONTEST- September!

Basic rules- pick a player, if he gets a hit, you are good. If for whatever reason he doesn't get a hit that day, you will get a strike (to include a DNP or a rainout). This time around, we will go with three strikes and you are out, rather than one and done. And there will be no minimum number of games needed to be played to win. Once you have selected a player, you can not choose him again. Your pick must be made prior to the FIRST GAME of the day. Pretty basic stuff. You may use a player in a doubleheader, with both games counting as "that" day's game.

Nothing new in terms of rules from last year:
1 - once you get a third strike, you are eliminated rather than one and done.
2 - I am hosting a side contest for those interested. I am participating in the contest and anyone who would like to challenge me is welcome. If you are interested in the challenge, just note it with your first pick. If you beat me, you can pick any card off of my Blog Tradelist as a prize (GU's/Autos etc. not included). If I beat you, I get to pick any card off your Trade Page. Max Value of $5 card. The side contest is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY.

**Please edit your initial post with your picks**
**Please include the players team name with your pick** CAN NOT EMPHASIZE THIS ONE ENOUGH!!!!

Bumping up the prizes again this year.

The winner of the contest will get to choose one card from the A list, one card from the B list, one card from the C list and one card from the D list:

A LIST:
BOBBY JENKS:08 TOPPS HERITAGE CHROME SN1959
HIROKI KURODA:10 TOPPS CHROME X-FRACTOR DODGERS

B LIST (AU):
DALLAS MCPHERSON:05 UPPER DECK ARTIFACTS AUTOFACTS SN599 ANGELS
JIMMY GOBBLE:03 DONRUSS CLASSICS SIGNIFICANT SIGNATURES/500 ROYALS

C LIST (GU):
MIGUEL TEJADA - 03 FLEER SPLENDID SPLINTERS KNOTHOLE GANG
TRAVIS HAFNER:07 ULTRA SWING KINGS INDIANS

D LIST (GU):
CASEY KOTCHMAN:05 SPX SN99
DONTRELLE WILLIS:06 Bowman Heritage

Good luck - the contest officially starts Monday September 1st.

And, as promised, I have decided to take the game up a notch for the participants. Since this is a hit streak contest, time to honor the two longest on record in MLB. Anyone who goes 45 games without missing will get a Pete Rose AU card and anyone who can go 57 games will get a Joe DiMaggio card (I probably can't afford an AU card, but will get you something nice). I will carry it month to month, longest streak last year was 11 games.

**update to the streak within the streak - I have decided to make it 45 games without striking out, rather than 45 straight correct picks, that will help with the DNP's and weather related misses. And it will be carryover - for the winner of the previous month only.

To address concerns from last year - I will try and keep tabs on when picks are posted, but this is really more about the honor system.

Please start your player list with either September 1 or Game 1 - it will make it easier for me to track on a daily basis.

For August participants - please see the last post in the August thread - please post a guess (1-11) to win the card giveaway for the month. Thanks.

And as mentioned at the end of the August contest - going to try a new rule to help eliminate the dreaded DNP's. Please select a designated hitter prior to the first game to use for the entire month in the event that your player on a particular day ends up as a DNP or a weather casualty. Take note, it must be a DNP - if your player for the day shows up in the box score, the DH rule will not take affect. I hope this makes sense, please ask questions if it doesn't, and since it is the first time using it, please don't be upset if it doesn't work out perfectly

September DH - Dee Gordon - Marlins
September 1 - Mike Trout - Angels
September 2 - Andrew McCutchen - Pirates **STRIKE 1**
September 3 - Lorenzo Cain - Royals
September 4 - Xander Boegarts - Red Sox
September 5 - Joey Votto - Reds
September 6 - Miguel Cabrera - Tigers
September 7 - Carlos Gonzalez - Rockies

Last edited:
count me in and side bet also will have my players up tonight Pirates

DH- Andrew McCutchen
1st-- M Cabrera-- Tigers
2nd-- Gordon-- Marlins
3rd-- Harper-- Nationals
4th Goldschmidt--Diamondbacks
5th-- Brantley-- Indians
6th-- Kipnis--Indians
7th-- Pollock--Diamondbacks
8th--Posey--Giants
9th-- fielder--Rangers
10th-- Bogaerts--Red Sox
11th Cruz--Mariners
12th-- Altuve-- Astros
13th--Cain--Royals
14th-- Votto--Reds
15th-- Hosmer--Royals

Good Luck to all and hope it goes like last months contest
Chief

Last edited:
Sept. 1 Molina Cardinals STRIKE 1
Sept. 2 Heyward Cardinals Hit
Sept. 3 Hosmer Royals Hit
Sept. 4 Kinsler Tigers Strike 2
Sept.5 Strike 3

Last edited:
September DH - Prince Fielder (Rangers)
September 1 - AJ Pollock (D'Backs) - HIT
September 2 - Jose Altuve (Astros) - STRIKE 1
September 3 - Bryce Harper (Nats) - STRIKE 2 - Really? 4 Walks
September 4 - Matt Carpenter (Cards) - STRIKE 3 - OUT
September 5 - Albert Pujols (Angels)
September 6 -

Last edited:
i'm in again and will pass on the sidebet this month
DH - Prince Fielder (Rangers)
1st - Curtis Granderson (mets) K
2nd - Nick Markakis (braves) - DNP - Prince Fielder H
3 - Joe Mauer (twins) H
4 - Kris Bryant (cubs) H
5 - Xander Bogaerts (red sox) H
6 - Bryce Harper (nationals) H
7 - Logan Forsythe (rays) H
8 - Josh Donaldson (blue jays) H
9 - Manny Machado (baltimore) - H
10 - Anthony Rizzo (cubs) DNP - K
3 K

Last edited:
DH- Mike Trout
  • Sept 1- Matt Carpenter (Cardinals) Strike one
  • Sept 2- Bryce Harper (Nationals) Strike two
  • Sept 3- Adrian Gonzalez (Dodgers)
  • Sept 4- Adam Jones (Orioles)

Last edited:
DH: Adrain Gonzalez (Los Angeles Dodgers)

Sept. 1st: Paul Goldschmidt (Arizona) HIT
Sept. 2nd: Dee Gordon (Miami) HIT
Sept. 3rd: Trevor Plouffe (Minnesota) K
Sept. 4th: A.J. Pollock (Arizona) K
Sept. 5th: Mike Trout (Angels) HIT
Sept. 6th: Jacoby Ellsbury (Yankees) HIT
Sept. 7th: Brett Gardner (Yankees) K

I'M OUT

Last edited:
DH - Yoenis Cespedes

Sept 1 - A.J. Pollock (Diamondbacks) (1-3 & 2-5)
Sept 2 - Kris Bryant (Cubs) (1-4)
Sept 3 - Eric Hosmer (Royals) (3-4)
Sept 4 - Mike Trout (Angels) (1-3)
Sept 5 - Xander Bogaerts (Red Sox) (1-5)
Sept 6 - Jose Altuve (Astros) (3-5)
Sept 7 - Dee Gordon (Marlins) (1-3)
Sept 8 - Prince Fielder (Rangers) (1-4)
Sept 9 - Aramis Ramirez (Pirates) (1-4)
Sept 10 - Jhonny Peralta (Cardinals) (1-3)
Sept 11 - Anthony Rizzo (Cubs) (1-4)
Sept 12 - Josh Donaldson (Blue Jays) (2-4)
Sept 13 - Bryce Harper (Nationals) STRIKE 1
Sept 14 - Matt Duffy (Giants) (2-4)
Sept 15 - Andrew McCutchen (Pirates) (2-4)
Sept 16 - Melky Cabrera (White Sox)

Last edited:
The marathon that was August is wrapped up..so...Here we go..THE HIT STREAK CONTEST- September!

Basic rules- pick a player, if he gets a hit, you are good. If for whatever reason he doesn't get a hit that day, you will get a strike (to include a DNP or a rainout). This time around, we will go with three strikes and you are out, rather than one and done. And there will be no minimum number of games needed to be played to win. Once you have selected a player, you can not choose him again. Your pick must be made prior to the FIRST GAME of the day. Pretty basic stuff. You may use a player in a doubleheader, with both games counting as "that" day's game.

Nothing new in terms of rules from last year:
1 - once you get a third strike, you are eliminated rather than one and done.
2 - I am hosting a side contest for those interested. I am participating in the contest and anyone who would like to challenge me is welcome. If you are interested in the challenge, just note it with your first pick. If you beat me, you can pick any card off of my Blog Tradelist as a prize (GU's/Autos etc. not included). If I beat you, I get to pick any card off your Trade Page. Max Value of $5 card. The side contest is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY.

**Please edit your initial post with your picks**
**Please include the players team name with your pick** CAN NOT EMPHASIZE THIS ONE ENOUGH!!!!

Bumping up the prizes again this year.

The winner of the contest will get to choose one card from the A list, one card from the B list, one card from the C list and one card from the D list:

A LIST:
BOBBY JENKS:08 TOPPS HERITAGE CHROME SN1959
HIROKI KURODA:10 TOPPS CHROME X-FRACTOR DODGERS

B LIST (AU):
DALLAS MCPHERSON:05 UPPER DECK ARTIFACTS AUTOFACTS SN599 ANGELS
JIMMY GOBBLE:03 DONRUSS CLASSICS SIGNIFICANT SIGNATURES/500 ROYALS

C LIST (GU):
MIGUEL TEJADA - 03 FLEER SPLENDID SPLINTERS KNOTHOLE GANG
TRAVIS HAFNER:07 ULTRA SWING KINGS INDIANS

D LIST (GU):
CASEY KOTCHMAN:05 SPX SN99
DONTRELLE WILLIS:06 Bowman Heritage

Good luck - the contest officially starts Monday September 1st.

And, as promised, I have decided to take the game up a notch for the participants. Since this is a hit streak contest, time to honor the two longest on record in MLB. Anyone who goes 45 games without missing will get a Pete Rose AU card and anyone who can go 57 games will get a Joe DiMaggio card (I probably can't afford an AU card, but will get you something nice). I will carry it month to month, longest streak last year was 11 games.

**update to the streak within the streak - I have decided to make it 45 games without striking out, rather than 45 straight correct picks, that will help with the DNP's and weather related misses. And it will be carryover - for the winner of the previous month only.

To address concerns from last year - I will try and keep tabs on when picks are posted, but this is really more about the honor system.

Please start your player list with either September 1 or Game 1 - it will make it easier for me to track on a daily basis.

For August participants - please see the last post in the August thread - please post a guess (1-11) to win the card giveaway for the month. Thanks.

And as mentioned at the end of the August contest - going to try a new rule to help eliminate the dreaded DNP's. Please select a designated hitter prior to the first game to use for the entire month in the event that your player on a particular day ends up as a DNP or a weather casualty. Take note, it must be a DNP - if your player for the day shows up in the box score, the DH rule will not take affect. I hope this makes sense, please ask questions if it doesn't, and since it is the first time using it, please don't be upset if it doesn't work out perfectly

September DH -
September 1 -

contest can not start on sept 1st monday because the 1st of sept is a Tuesday typo error

September DH: Edwin Encarnacion (Blue Jays)
September 1: Josh Donaldson (Blue Jays) HIT
September 2: Dee Gordon (Marlins) HIT
September 3: Adam Eaton (White Sox) HIT
September 4: Jose Altuve (Astros) HIT
September 5: Michael Brantley (Indians) HIT
September 6: Adrian Gonzalez (Dodgers) HIT
September 7: Lorenzo Cain (Royals) HIT
September 8: Jacoby Ellsbury (Yankees) HIT
September 9: Manny Machado (Orioles) HIT
September 10: Dexter Fowler (Cubs) GAME PPD - STRIKE 1
September 11: Matt Carpenter (Cardinals) HIT
September 12: Prince Fielder (Rangers) HIT
September 13: Adrian Beltre (Rangers) HIT
September 14: Miguel Cabrera (Tigers)
September 15: Andrew McCutchen (Pirates)
September 16: David Wright (Mets)

Last edited:
I'm in for the side bet.

DH: Xander Bogearts BOS
Sept 1: Paul Goldschmidt ARI HIT
Sept 2: D.J. LeMahieu COL HIT
Sept 3: Lorenzo Cain KC HIT
Sept 4: Joey Votto CIN DNP RAINOUT Xander Bogearts HIT
Sept 5: Brandon Phillips CIN HIT
Sept 6: Franklin Gutierrez SEA DNP Xander Bogearts HIT
Sept 7: Bryce Harper WAS STRIKE 1
Sept 8: Buster Posey SF HIT
Sept 9: Eric Hosmer KC STRIKE 2
Sept 10: Stephen Piscotty STL HIT
Sept 11: Nelson Cruz SEA
Sept 12: Francisco Lindor CLE

Last edited:
And away we go....we only have 10 participants for the August version, too bad the numbers went down as the season progressed instead of up. By my count, we have 3 takers on the side bet (jaybo374, chieftazmisty, david k.).

Through the first day...a couple folks pick up their first strike and no DH uses, which hopefully is a fail-safe that doesn't get used too often!!

Three Strikes - NONE

Two Strikes - NONE

One Strike - anginomics, tennelson55, david k.*

No Strikes - katester44, chieftazmisty*, topaz77, greatdadx2, mrknicks, tgutta, jaybo374*

First pitch today is at 12:10pm. Still time to get entered with only a single strike against you.

Once the contest is complete, I will post up all side bets. Good luck to everyone.

For those that haven't done so, please see the August thread and pick a number for the free card giveaway.

A couple of you did not select a DH, if you would like to have one for the month, please add to your initial post. Thanks.

Last edited:
And away we go....we only have 10 participants for the August version, too bad the numbers went down as the season progressed instead of up. By my count, we have 3 takers on the side bet (jaybo374, chieftazmisty, david k.).

Through Day 2...a couple more folks pick up their first strike and we have our first DH save in history!

Three Strikes - NONE

Two Strikes - david k.*

One Strike - katester44, anglinomics, topaz77, tennelson55

No Strikes - katester44, chieftazmisty*, topaz77, greatdadx2, mrknicks, tgutta, jaybo374*

First pitch today is at 1:10pm. Still time to get entered with two strikes against you.

Once the contest is complete, I will post up all side bets. Good luck to everyone.

For those that haven't done so, please see the August thread and pick a number for the free card giveaway.

A couple of you did not select a DH, if you would like to have one for the month, please add to your initial post. Thanks.

Through Day 3...a couple more folks pick up their first strike and we have a 3 and out!

Three Strikes - david k.*

Two Strikes - topaz77

One Strike - katester44, chieftazmisty, anglinomics, tennelson55, greatdadx2

No Strikes - mrknicks, tgutta, jaybo374*

First pitch today is at 2:20pm. Time is up..no more entrants at this point.

September DH - Prince Fielder (Rangers)
September 1 - AJ Pollock (D'Backs) - HIT
September 2 - Jose Altuve (Astros) - STRIKE 1
September 3 - Bryce Harper (Nats) - STRIKE 2 - Really? 4 Walks
September 4 - Matt Carpenter (Cards) - STRIKE 3 - OUT
September 5 - Albert Pujols (Angels)
September 6 -

Wow! That was quick. Good luck.

Through Day 7...lots of folks disappear over the weekend! The DH seems to be working out well for some...and not so much for others. Special shout out to the Rockies for sticking Cargo into the game for a half inning after Arenado got hurt.

Three Strikes - david k.*, katester44, anglinomics, topaz77, greatdadx2

Two Strikes - tennelson55

One Strike - chieftazmisty*, jaybo374*

No Strikes - mrknicks, tgutta

First pitch today is at 7:05pm. Time is up..no more entrants at this point.

For those that haven't done so, please see the August thread and pick a number for the free card giveaway. Last day to make a guess - if it isn't claimed by tomorrow, I will keep the cards and give them away somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.