Serial Numbers Matching Jersey Numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was browsing through some TP9 autos tonight and came across this one.

It led me to a question. Do you all put a premium on cards where the serial number matches the player's jersey number? It doesn't matter to me, but I have noticed through the years that the prices are a little higher when that's the case.

What's your take? Do you pay more for these "eBay 1/1" cards?

I was browsing through some TP9 autos tonight and came across this one.

It led me to a question. Do you all put a premium on cards where the serial number matches the player's jersey number? It doesn't matter to me, but I have noticed through the years that the prices are a little higher when that's the case.

What's your take? Do you pay more for these "eBay 1/1" cards?
I haven’t personally purchased cards with the same serial number as jersey number of player, but I sure do think it’s cool! Don’t know if I would put a premium on it though, maybe that’s a FeeBay thing...My Derek Jeter 2020 Topps 20 Years of the Captain patch auto is a 2/2! Pulled that from a jumbo box...

Attachments

• 0BF456BC-8A1E-4901-A00A-E045951F4BE2.jpeg
    0BF456BC-8A1E-4901-A00A-E045951F4BE2.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 3
I haven’t personally purchased cards with the same serial number as jersey number of player, but I sure do think it’s cool! Don’t know if I would put a premium on it though, maybe that’s a FeeBay thing...My Derek Jeter 2020 Topps 20 Years of the Captain patch auto is a 2/2! Pulled that from a jumbo box...
I agree. If I had one, I certainly wouldn't complain. At the same time, though, I wouldn't pay extra for one if I didn't have to. If there was a 9/50 Tony Parker and a 34/50 I'd still buy whichever one was the cheapest. Also, of all the TP9 cards I have, I don't think I have a single one that is jersey numbered.

Also, great pull on the Jeter!

I've sold a handful of cards like these on eBay and they always go for more than a regular one.

No a true 1/1 .....but I believe they (sellers) use it bring in the buyers who are looking for the true 1/1's...... But to answer your question.....Yes....if value of the card is $100.00...I normally would kick in and extra 10% or $110.00. But thats just me! Best regards, David

I've sold a handful of cards like these on eBay and they always go for more than a regular one.
No a true 1/1 .....but I believe they (sellers) use it bring in the buyers who are looking for the true 1/1's...... But to answer your question.....Yes....if value of the card is $100.00...I normally would kick in and extra 10% or $110.00. But thats just me! Best regards, David
I think it's fair to say that a lot of sellers do it because it works! I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd do it too (as a seller)!

I know several folks who would gladly pay extra for those eBay 1/1s, even if they had another option, so you're definitely not alone there David.

I actually had one I didn't even know I had. It was an Adam Thielen auto and when it sold for 2x as much as the other ones I didn't really know why and then I looked at the serial # and it was #19/25. His jersey #.

I usually do them as auctions because you never know what kind of premium someone is willing to put on them.

I usually do them as auctions because you never know what kind of premium someone is willing to put on them.
...and with auctions you could get lucky and have two people who can't stand to lose. I overpay for stuff more than I'd like to admit simply because I don't like to lose, but that's a conversation for another thread. Ha!

Yes, sellers try to add a premium for the first card in the series (01/25), the last cards in the series (25/25), and to the jersey number card. Collectors seem to eat this up. I couldn’t care less about it.

I think jersey numbered cards are pretty cool and unique. If i have a chance to pick one up in a trade or for a decent sell price i'll pull the trigger. As for paying a premium i'll pass. I do have 40+ in my greg maddux collection.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps