Server/software upgrades

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Once again The Bench's server has been upgraded to use the latest software available. This includes server software, as well as the forum software. The forum upgrade was only bug fixes this time around, so no new functionality was added.

If you notice any issues with the site, especially ones that weren't there before today's update, please let me know so I can look to get those fixed as soon as possible.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Unrelated to this post, but the question to enable push notifications is still asked everytime I login. Even though I have enabled them. I mention this again, because you may have thought it was fixed already. This is a low priority for me. I'm using windows 10 on a pc.

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Unrelated to this post, but the question to enable push notifications is still asked everytime I login. Even though I have enabled them. I mention this again, because you may have thought it was fixed already. This is a low priority for me. I'm using windows 10 on a pc.
I think I know what's going on here but let me get back home this evening so I can post a better reply.

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Ok, so there could be a few different things happening here, that I know of.

The first thing to know about this is that push notifications are only enabled per device. So, if you've enabled them on your phone then log in on your desktop, it will ask again.

Also, the information on whether you have them enabled, or not, is stored in a cookie in your browser. If, for any reason, that cookie is removed from your browser (or if your browser refuses to store that cookie), the site doesn't know that it's already asked you about it.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Ok, so there could be a few different things happening here, that I know of.

The first thing to know about this is that push notifications are only enabled per device. So, if you've enabled them on your phone then log in on your desktop, it will ask again.

Also, the information on whether you have them enabled, or not, is stored in a cookie in your browser. If, for any reason, that cookie is removed from your browser (or if your browser refuses to store that cookie), the site doesn't know that it's already asked you about it.
Understood. Today it didn't ask me. But I'm sure the cookies were the issue. Thanks. Dave

DaSoxFan

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Mike

I just wanted to say thanks, I read a lot of negative comments as we began the transition and I am glad you treated them with respect and have made this site better than it was.

Henry

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Mike

I just wanted to say thanks, I read a lot of negative comments as we began the transition and I am glad you treated them with respect and have made this site better than it was.

Henry
Thanks for the kind words. I knew it'd be tough for some but the hope was always that those folks would get used to it and realize that it's what was best for The Bench in the long run.