Set builders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lprimus

5.00 star(s)
Not to plug another site or nothing, but SCF has just added a section for set builders themselves.

Though, I've posted a wantlist for my vintage sets a few days ago and haven't gotten one reply yet. :(

Jason

JamesNevans

5.00 star(s)
I'm a set builder myself, but I'm generally at least a few years behind. I get a lot cheap that gets me a good start and then I build from there. You can look at my www to see my close to finished sets to get an idea what I'm working on (but not exclusively). I'm with you, people want specific player's cards, and then only the ones they don't have, for set building needs.

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
I personally think there are a ton of set builder already here.

Also the number of overall collectors who are set builder is slowly declining. Most newbies stick to players or teams due to so much product being out there. That is why so many people are looking for players only.

I would create a new section for set builders but that would just increase the number of places people would post the same thing, between the baseball wants and the vintage section some peeps already double post. I think it would be counter active to add a setbuilder section. But that's my opinion and I'm open to everyones thoughts on this subject.

Peter

EELindy

4.90 star(s)
I am a Set Builder. I generally will trade straight across for BV of cards I need. I have alot of GU/Auto/Inserts, but I generally use them for trade bait. :)

Mark Wing

5.00 star(s)
Of the sites, I have looked at, I have found The Bench to be most friendly to set builders. That is big reason why I am here and not somewhere else. If you were looking to buy, one alternative I would recommend is Bidville. Bidville's fee structure makes it feasable to sell commons.

I do like the idea of having seperate set builder forums. My thinking is it may help attract even more set builders to The Bench. I realize double or even triple posting might become a problem. What if "Baseball Wants" was eliminated in favor of something like "Baseball Set Wants" and "Baseball Team and Individual Player Wants". Would that be enough to discourage double posting?

Just my thoughts...

Mark

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
Not being a set builder myself I always love to clear space by getting rid of some commons. Problem is 95% of them are not organized yet and it takes so long to go through them. I have most of my 2003's listed and plan on keeping up with the 2004 ones the best I can. So if you guys need 2004's keep me in mind--and I don't ask for GU or autos in return (unless offered of course) but do like to at least get a few cards I need from the guys I collect be it base or insert or whatever.

Been burned a few times though--thought I had a deal and went through tons of cards to pull off of a list and then they don't want them anymore. Now that's a lot of time wasted! I swear I should hire someone to come over here and put my commons in numerical order and then list them on my site:)

degbowl

5.00 star(s)
NYBBNUTT said:
Anyone know of a good site and I can join for set building. Everyone here is pre-occupied with autos, G/U, numerered, etc. If they do have commons they want high end inserts for them. Heck I can buy them cheaper at card shows, just don't have the time to go running off every weekend to a show to hunt down commons. Maybe eBay? Any ideas?

I am a set builder and I have received alot of help from the bench. I went to your website to look for a wantlist for sets that you are building but I could not find anything. If you send me some wantlists maybe we can make a trade.

PriorityCards

4.90 star(s)
Stick it out....

I am a set builder and am working on my website that will be very friendly to set builders. It will reference all of the sets that I have extras to and will constantly be updated to stay current. It is a lot of work to get it to that point , but once achieved will be worth the work...... I created a vintage set builders reference to help find others interested in working on older sets... There was a good deal of interest it appears and hopefully we can draw in a few more with organized collections to help out. I don't think it would hurt to try the set builders forum and see what happens...If it is not a success, it can be moved to baseball wants and taken down....

Troy

Jeffo65

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I am a set builder myself as well. I only collect inserts of the players that I collect. I pick up certain inserts, GUs and autos only for trade or my personal collection. Let us know what sets and cards you are working on. I am sure all of us here at The Bench can/will help.

jeff

NYBBNUTT

5.00 star(s)
Wow This was a shock that I experienced the other day. Been unemployed for a few weeks so I decided to head out to a card shop a few towns over. I use to pick up various inserts and actually started my 01 & 02 Topps Archives/Reserve and my 96 & 97 Topps Mantle reprint sets there. The owner has been in the area for a number of years. Pulled into the parking lot and the store has been vacated. Could have moved but there were no signs and I haven't follwed up yet.

NYBBNUTT

5.00 star(s)
I am a set builder and I have received alot of help from the bench. I went to your website to look for a wantlist for sets that you are building but I could not find anything. If you send me some wantlists maybe we can make a trade.

I don't list trade or want lists anymore. I'd ask for set help and the next thing I know the fellow trader is asking for my best game used cards. A few times they were listed in my photobucket as NFT? I realize that not everyone here is like that and there are a lot of decent traders on this site, but set building is almost a part of the hobby that will disappear like the baseball card shop because it has very minimal financial value. WHy go thru and search for 50 commons/minor stars when someone will beat you to it and make the trade. As for checklist, there are a few sites that have complete set list. I use one that has the set listed by team and then resort it by number. Both are handy for trading.

PriorityCards - what did you do to get banned?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.