Shipping delays are to be expected

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
It's come to my attention that I should take some time to reiterate what the USPS has been saying for a while now. Please note that, because of the shortage of staff caused by COVID-19, the USPS is experiencing some delays in shipping items. This is especially difficult now because of the increase in holiday shipping.

I know most folks are well aware of this, but evidently there are some who still expect every package to arrive in the same amount of time it always has. I'm asking that all members please allow up to a week extra before reporting transactions, or getting upset that your package isn't there yet. Some will arrive on time, and some late. I mail all my group break packages on the same date every month, and the last few months the delivery dates have been off by as many as 3-4 days on some.

Here's a news release posted a few weeks ago by the USPS: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...rces-importance-of-mailing-packages-early.htm

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
This is the first time I have heard about the PO letter managing expectations. It seems like most collectors print their own postage saving the PO a great deal of time. They have raised there revenue by making tracking mandatory on packaging. In both cases one would think that the customer should receive some benefit from those changes. Obviously with the mandatory tracking, they have bitten off more than they can chew.

So it would be helpful if the PO didn't promise 3-5 days on a first class package. Perhaps they should modify those expectations by putting up realistic shipping times. However, if they did that and got away with it, they just might make those expectations permanent. So I think the post office needs to have their feet held to the fire, so we don't have a permanent change in shipping time. But for now, their are many extraneous situations that we should give the PO a break.

With that said, the post office has been a burden on the government for a long time. If their losing money on each package sent, I think we will see some permanent changes coming. It can't continue as is, even if packages do arrive on time. Mail used to arrive by horse, so maybe their is hope. Maybe the mandatory tracking is a benefit because packages which were previously lost are now late. I lost 2 packages at Christmas about 10 years ago where I didn't use tracking. Otherwise, None of my mail in or out has been lost.

Last edited:

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Just received one today, that took over 5 weeks to arrive. We just need to be patient until they have an opportunity to get caught up.

I am waiting for a package from a friend in southern California, he mailed on the the 5th, and am still waiting, 3 1/2 weeks later.....I am sad, but glad to know you had one take 5 weeks, there is still hope that everything will get sorted out and delivered!

Blessings,

Kevin

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
This is the first time I have heard about the PO letter managing expectations. It seems like most collectors print their own postage saving the PO a great deal of time. They have raised there revenue by making tracking mandatory on packaging. In both cases one would think that the customer should receive some benefit from those changes. Obviously with the mandatory tracking, they have bitten off more than they can chew.

So it would be helpful if the PO didn't promise 3-5 days on a first class package. Perhaps they should modify those expectations by putting up realistic shipping times. However, if they did that and got away with it, they just might make those expectations permanent. So I think the post office needs to have their feet held to the fire, so we don't have a permanent change in shipping time. But for now, their are many extraneous situations that we should give the PO a break.

With that said, the post office has been a burden on the government for a long time. If their losing money on each package sent, I think we will see some permanent changes coming. It can't continue as is, even if packages do arrive on time. Mail used to arrive by horse, so maybe their is hope. Maybe the mandatory tracking is a benefit because packages which were previously lost are now late. I lost 2 packages at Christmas about 10 years ago where I didn't use tracking. Otherwise, None of my mail in or out has been lost.
I had the exact same problem about 10 or 12 years ago, I think tracking was an extra charge at that time....I didnt pay for insurance then either, never made either of those mistakes again!!

Blessings,

Kevin

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Cincinnatti and Cleveland distribution mailing centers are a black hole for wait times. Other than that, nothing noticeable yet for me

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Knock on wood here in Central PA -- so far the worst I have witnessed is an Xmas package that took 4 days to get from Philly to here (2.5 hour drive).

Have had amazing luck with the postal service here locally!

togaman

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Still waiting on package from St Louis area from December 4/5. He got my cards mailed from Houston within 5/6 days after I mailed at a UPS Store. He then mentioned he had to pay an extra $ 2+ postage to get the cards I sent even though the UPS Store weighed and measured and mailed the bubble mailer package. The Post office costs have gotten ridiculous charging $ 4 for a small bubble mailer with maybe 5 or 6 cards in one thick toploader. Gotten to point where the postage is more than the value of the cards. For me curtailing trading for sure other than maybe PWE with 1-3 cards max. .

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Generally speaking, I am happy that there is a post office. I wouldn't want to be forced to use Fed Ex or UPS. My town of 700 people has their own post office. Towns of similar size 5 miles north and west each have their own PO as well. No other carrier would have an office in such towns. With the most recent retirement of small POs, mine was being considered. I think my PO will be one of the first to go in just a few years. Fortunately for now mail is considered a right, and the government will continue to subsidize it. I'm stating that as a fact, without getting into politics.

tglg

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I have issues from Dec 3 both to me and from me. It's ridiculous.
St. Louis is terrible. I have had some things finally show Christmas Eve that was postmarked Nov 19th. I have several packages I mailed out on Dec 15th that track to St. Louis, and have sat there with nothing since their arrival. It is bad in STL.

roger16

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Not sure what's going on with the Post office. I sent Dave Gman23 cards on January 1st. They were checked in the PO on the 2nd. Just checked the tracking today and they're out for delivery finally. That was from Indiana to Pennsylvania. Made a trade this weekend with jmboehm33. Jeff created his shipping label 11AM Saturday in California. Received the cards today in Indiana.

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Not sure what's going on with the Post office.
Nobody is...and it doesn't appear to be consistent. I mailed the group break cards out last week, and most were delivered Saturday, but I've got cards that I mailed out 2 weeks ago that still haven't made it to their destination. Some of those are in the same state as packages that were delivered. 🤦‍♂️

7timecy

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I know one thing on top of all the problems they are having, postage went up. Does anybody know if there is a grace period because now all the forever stamps that were 70 are now 75 cents.

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Does anybody know if there is a grace period because now all the forever stamps that were 70 are now 75 cents.
The way I understand it, forever stamps are just that, forever. I don't think it matters how much the postage goes up, you can still use your forever stamps.