Should I worry? (UPDATE)

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
In the center console of my car I keep a plastic container that I throw all my change into. I use this change to buy coffee for my morning drive to work. Well this morning I stopped for coffee and when I got back in my car and went to put the change in the container, my container was gone. The console was open too. Now I always lock my vehicle (i'm sure I locked it this morning too) and I think I would have noticed if the console was open when I left my house this morning. The reason why is because my right elbow usually leans on the console while i'm driving. Besides I was in Royal Farms for maybe 5 minutes. There was a lady standing outside when I pulled up, but I don't see how it could have been her. So I lost maybe $4 in change. That sucks, but no big deal. However, I also keep my dog tags in this container because the chain gets caught in the hair on my chest when I wear them around my neck. Stamped on my dog tags is my social security number. This is bad...Or is it?

Last edited:

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
My wife had her identity stolen a few years ago, though hers was either from a leak at our bank or mortgage company. All I know is it was one huge pain getting everything cleared up and off our credit report.

7guns

5.00 star(s)
As a military member I would say keep an eye on your credit report for 6 mounts or so and if nothing is fishy you should be OK my command says up to a year though.Just make sure you check it often good luck.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
As a military member I would say keep an eye on your credit report for 6 mounts or so and if nothing is fishy you should be OK my command says up to a year though.Just make sure you check it often good luck.

Good idea! Hopefully....there will throw the dog tags away....Most of the time....there after the money. Best regards David

Last edited:

Jeffo65

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
You can place a 90 day credit fraud alert on your social security number for free. Just call the numbers below. You can also do it on line if you want.

Experian: www.experian.com 1-888-397-3742

Equifax: www.equifax.com 1-800-525-6285

TransUnion: www.transunion.com 1-800-680-7289

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
You can place a 90 day credit fraud alert on your social security number for free. Just call the numbers below. You can also do it on line if you want.

Experian: www.experian.com 1-888-397-3742

Equifax: www.equifax.com 1-800-525-6285

TransUnion: www.transunion.com 1-800-680-7289

Thanks!

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
I found it. Actually my neighbor found it at the end of her driveway. She was nice enough to walk over when I got home from work. I have no idea how it got there, but it's a relief.

dale

5.00 star(s)
It sounds like someone got into your car while it was still in your driveway, which of course sucks. Nothing worse than not feeling safe in your own home. You might want to have a gas light or other lighting around your home to help scare would-be thieves away.

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
It sounds like someone got into your car while it was still in your driveway, which of course sucks. Nothing worse than not feeling safe in your own home. You might want to have a gas light or other lighting around your home to help scare would-be thieves away.

Though I can't prove anything, nor will I assume/accuse anyone, I kind of feel the same way.

dale

5.00 star(s)
It was probably kids. Once when I went to a Blue Jays game in Toronto, kids threw a rock through my car window and stole two boxes of pop tarts and my kids' Dragonball Z cards, but left more valuable things. My kids quickly learned not to leave things visible through the window. Around my neighborhood there's been a rash of GPS and laptop thefts from cars which seem to be what most thieves are looking for.