Spring Training Trip - Pic heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbrown2626

Prospect
Made my first trip to Spring Training with my wife and two boys and another family this past week. What an experience. We went to Surprise AZ to go to the Rangers camp. The backfields were definitely the highlight of the trip. We went to the backfields each of our three days there and my two boys raked it in as far as autos and souvenirs was concerned.

Day 1 – Luckily I went with a seasoned spring training veteran who quickly showed me the ropes. The Rangers were playing away that day so the crowd was light (better for us). Auto highlights that each boy got were: Tateyama, Tanner Scheppers, Michale Kirkman and Matt Harrison. All four of these guys were great. They signed for anyone that wanted an auto and Harrison and Tateyama would pose for pictures as well

118_zps76d9f517.jpg

056_zpsa3c39f25.jpg

046_zpsab2e4c1e.jpg

Day 2 – The Spring Break masses showed up on this day. There was 5x’s the number of folks there so we got a lot of minor leaguers. We did get one “A” lister. AJ Pierzynski singed for a little while so it was good to get the newest Ranger that day

051_zps1259ab05.jpg

108_zps20d6afa4.jpg

Day 3 – I call this the “Big Haul” day. We stayed at a hotel right by the stadium and several players stayed there as well. That morning my boys got Neftali Feliz and Alexi Ogando in the hotel lobby. Both were great sports about it and were more than happy to sign for the kids. Headed to the backfields and again the masses were out. We had little hopes of getting any big names. By now the boys were veterans and they had their spots picked out by the field were all the “A” players were. This was the first day back for Elvis Andrus as his team had lost in the WBC so everyone was excited to see him out there. Ian Kinsler and Elvis were clowning around and bantering back and forth about signing autographs. Then it happen, Kinsler cam out and started to sign. The mad rush was on form the fans but luckily our boys held there ground and were at the right spot. Kinsler signed for both of my boys and the other boy we went with. Then Andrus came out after Kinsler and did the same. So now they had Feliz, Ogando, Kinsler and Andrus. How do you top that? We went to the game and our section was even with the on deck circle for the Rangers. The coaches sit on the field at spring training so Ron Washington came out and signed for the boys as well.

Kinsler - Madness
KinslerandColin_zps2bd4b2e7.jpg

Feliz in the lobby
892014_10200282317493596_2065304332_o.jpg

Andrus
206_zps8a68425a.jpg

Ron Washington
217_zpseccaca5a.jpg

Fergie Jenkins
182_zps70a3bbcb.jpg

So many Rangers were really good to the kids. The ones that I’m a big fan of now is Matt Harrison (posted and signed for everyone the one day he was out). Tanner Scheppers, signed every day I saw him and was having a great time. Kinsler and Andrus, made sure the kids were the priority. But our single best interaction was actually with the Rangers Minor League pitcher of the year, Cody Buckel. We went to dinner one night as we had to wait for a table. While waiting I noticed two really young guys and a girl waiting as well. I thought one of them was Cody Buckel but I wasn’t sure as my minor league recognition is not too good. I had the baseball cards and balls in the car from earlier in the day so I found some Buckel minor league cards and pulled them out. I walked up to Cody with my kid and asked if his name was Cody. He was shocked and replied “yes”. At that moment his friend busted out his phone and took a picture and posted it to twitter because it was the first time Cody had been recognized in public. Cody singed and then said we needed to get his friends autograph as well. I had no clue who the friend was but we got him to sign the ball. Turns out his buddy is Trevor Bauer. Both Bauer and Buckel joked around with us for a while as we waited for our tables. The next day Cody took a picture with the kids while in his ranger uniform. We are now big Cody Buckel fans to say the least.

Buckel

550057_10200272959899662_1747970491_n.jpg

098_zpsec7c7ac0.jpg

The only negative I took away from the entire experience was the behavior of some adults. I understand we are all fans and we all want that great souvenir but the number of adults I saw reaching over little kids, wedging in and pushing kids to the side etc. was appalling. My friend and I literally had to block adults at times so our kids didn’t get pushed over or overlooked. If you are one of those type of people then shame on you. 99% of you are not but for those 1% don’t be surprised if you get laid out one day by a father or mother who shows more restraint than I did.

ha ha..that's funny.i saw that tweet about cody getting spotted at olive garden and even replied back to bauer to ask if they had cody sign a dick's sporting goods flyer(thats the commercial buckel is in right now)...what a time, looks like your kids had a blast. i agree scheppers and harrison are really great about signing..and cody is a super nice guy, same with trevor..

awesome job..i do hear the adults in ST can be pretty overzealous..

Totally agreed on the attitude of some adults out there. Having been the kid trying to get stuff signed in the past, I always try to make sure the kids get theirs first, or at least that I'm not interfering with them or running them over. Usually the players really appreciate that too and are more likely to sign for you if they see you helping kids out.

Very nice pick ups! I agree with you on some adults. I even see some of it during the Durham Bulls. It can be ridiculus.

How was Bauer when you met him? I got the opportunity to meet him during the AAA Championship game and he was very genuine and overly nice. he signed after the game for a good 30 mins for anyone who wanted him.

Very nice pick ups! I agree with you on some adults. I even see some of it during the Durham Bulls. It can be ridiculus.

How was Bauer when you met him? I got the opportunity to meet him during the AAA Championship game and he was very genuine and overly nice. he signed after the game for a good 30 mins for anyone who wanted him.

Bauer and Buckel were both great. I didn't know who Bauer was until later. I dont follow the national league. I know he has rubbed a lot of old timers the wrong way but we were all yucking it up for a little while and he was having a lot of fun at Buckels expense.

I saw the picture of Fergie, was he signing cards for a fee?

Yeah, he had a tent with Gaylor Perry and Willie Wilson set up. For $20 you got to pick an 8x10 or ball already signed and take pictures. He then signed a couple more for my boys so we got 3 autos for $20 and it went to a charity so I had no problem with that.

Nice haul. I am in Phoenix now and can't agree with you more about some of the adults. Its amazing how many dealers (and their teams) are here getting multiples.

Tom

First off congrats on your ST trip.

You know I sit back and read these posts about and read how people knock the adults who collect autographs. It does get crazy at times, I myself have collected autographs for over 22 years and I am 30 now. I am not a dealer and dont care to be, I have sold some autos but only because trades werent possible at the time.

What is more disgusting than dealers or adults as some say is when adults send their kids in to get autographs and you see the kid doesnt give a crap about doing it. My father never pushed me one bit to do this hobby but I'm thankful we were able to have fun together and he get autos too. So I would say next time look around see what kids really want to be there and who doesnt.

On the topic of getting multiple items signed. I personally am not going to waste my time to get 1 card signed especially if I drive multiple hours on the trip. My moto has always been if I am getting one signed I might as well get a page of nine signed. Its kinda like making money in a sense, people dont say "Ahh I'm only going to make this amount of money." No your going to make the most you can and do the best you can at whatever you do.

This sight like many others is setup to "Trade" if people dont have multiple autos or duplicate cards then there is no trading and we should just dismantle the whole trading community. I am not defending anyone or justifying any actions but merely explaining the collecting habits from another viewpoint.