Strat-o-Matic v. APBA?

Spiff

5.00 star(s)
Right now I play a lot of MLB Showdown. Enjoy the game a lot but there are several drawbacks. The biggest is that the company no longer makes the game so there's no way to get new players.

Was kind of considering switching to a different game. Needs to be a board game, not computer. The two that stood out so far have been Strat-O-Matic and APBA. I have never played either so have little idea of what I am looking at.

Anyone play either of those? Have any thoughts? Thanks.

seawolf17

5.00 star(s)
Strat's the winner for me. If you want an APBA game, I have one of the board games -- complete, with all the team cards -- from the late 90s (1998 or 1999, I think) that I'd sell you. Bought it thinking I would get into it, but it just didn't take.

Spiff

5.00 star(s)
What are the big differences and why do you prefer Strat? In case I decide to go that way, what are you wanting for the APBA game?

JamesNevans

5.00 star(s)
I've never played APBA, but I've played the Strat-O-Matic board game for 35 years. They've improved it over the years beyond just the lefty/righty breakdowns, they have range & error ratings, stolen base ratings with good lead rating, ballpark and weather effects, clutch ratings, catcher blocking the plate, and even robbing a HR at the fence.

porkchops

5.00 star(s)
Never played "Strat",but have been a APBA fan since I was a kid.
Once you get the hang of it,the APBA"Master Game"is great.
If it's in baseball,it's in APBA.
Ken

Spiff

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the input guys. From what I am picking up Strat-o-Matic accounts for the defensive abilities of the players. Does APBA or is it all just hitting and pitching? Do either count speed for base running purposes? Are there different levels of play in each?

JamesNevans

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the input guys. From what I am picking up Strat-o-Matic accounts for the defensive abilities of the players. Does APBA or is it all just hitting and pitching? Do either count speed for base running purposes? Are there different levels of play in each?

Speed in Strat:

Based upon 1-20 results, a very slow runner is an 8, a very fast runner is a 17. Outfielder arms are from a +3 for an extremely weak arm to a -3 for a very strong arm with -4 for an exceptional and legendary would be Clemente as a -6. +2 for throws from right field to thirdbase and +2 for going with two outs. Trail runners pick up some benefit and lead runners who are held lose some speed. Players who may not be especially apt basestealers are rated differently on speed as they may be given an enhanced rating due to very perceptive in seeing a ball dropping in or understanding a player going away from his throwing motion.

In Strat there are three full levels of play, basic doesn't account for L/R splits and stealing system is very limited, the defense is rolled into one rating rather than range and error rating. Advanced gets L/R and advanced fielding and stealing, Super Advanced has clutch ratings and ballpark effects, optional blocking of the plate and robbing HRs.

Last edited:

porkchops

5.00 star(s)
The APBA"master game"covers all aspects of the players and the game.
It's alittle more $ than the "basic" game,but well worth it.
If I might suggest,go on line and check them out.
Ken
Try this link.....
http://www.apbagames.com/stadium/games/board/baseball/master.html

Last edited:

seawolf17

5.00 star(s)
Forgot to respond. I guess I just liked the simplicity of the game play better on SOM; you can pick it up and start playing, or you can go crazy on the advanced stuff.

I could probably send the game media mail; I spent ten bucks for it at a card show two years ago, so I'll sell it for ten bucks plus whatever it costs to ship.

JamesNevans

5.00 star(s)
Injuries happen. Range from one chance in 216 plate appearances for the iron men who missed at least one game, to six chances in 216 for those that were particularly fragile or limited in play.

Spiff

5.00 star(s)
Guess I'll go with Strat-O-Matic as they have contacted me about sponsoring a giveaway on my blog. Go here to get the details. Would like to see some Benchies entering.