• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

The 2020/21 NCAA Hoops Thread

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
With all the craziness that 2020 has brought - hopefully we will get to crown an NCAA champion in 2021.

The season kicked off this past week and we have already had 4 top ten teams go down - Kansas, Virginia, Villanova and Kentucky. Will say though, the Kansas loss isn't as bad, as it was to the #1 ranked Gonzaga squad.

Personally hoping for a nice bounceback season from the boys down in Chapel Hill. Opened with a nice victory over Charleston and get UNLV this evening. They actually made FT's to seal the game, which is already an improvement over last year - now they just need to start hitting 3 balls!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The Big Ten is going to be brutal this year. Six teams in the Top 25, THREE in the Top 5. As much as I love my Hoosiers, that's a steep mountain to climb.

Could be an early matchup if the Hoosiers and Tar Heels can make it to the finals of the Maui (in Asheville NC). Got nervous when the Heels went down 13-0 to start last nights game......

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I watched the Kansas/Gonzaga game. I know it is early but Gonzaga looked REALLY good. They hung 100 on the Jayhawks which should tell you something.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I watched the Kansas/Gonzaga game. I know it is early but Gonzaga looked REALLY good. They hung 100 on the Jayhawks which should tell you something.
Completely agree - Gonzaga could be the real deal #1 from start to finish this year.

Another top 10 goes down (and I always enjoy typing this) -- Duke loses, at home, to Michigan State.

Carolina/Texas for the Maui crown tomorrow -- the last 3 times that Carolina has won the Maui, they have won the national championship. I think they can compete for a championship this year, but don't think they can win it all in March. But already a much improved version of last years team!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Carolina loses the Maui on a buzzer beater - would have been a good win, but they didn't play overly well and probably didn't deserve to be the champs.

Haven't followed how the Big 10 contingent is doing right now. Will get to see them all next week with the Big 10/ACC showdown. I believe that Carolina gets Iowa. Should be a fun week of hoops.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The Gonzaga/West Virginia game was a great game. Gonzaga pulled it out but West Virginia gave them everything they could handle. Huggins is a great coach in my opinion and knows how to get everything out of his players. I would not want to face them in the tournament with all those bigs they have.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Baylor looks real good, maybe even better than last year, lots of defense and a deep bench

Haven't seen Baylor play yet this year -- but if they are anything like last year, will be tough

The Gonzaga/West Virginia game was a great game. Gonzaga pulled it out but West Virginia gave them everything they could handle. Huggins is a great coach in my opinion and knows how to get everything out of his players. I would not want to face them in the tournament with all those bigs they have.

Missed this game, but saw the final, and it did look like WVU gave them everything they could handle. Huggins always seems to do well in the regular season, but tends to struggle a bit in the post season.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I know it is still early in the season -- but what is going on down in Lexington?? Kentucky with its worst start (1-3), in a long, long time. Wondering if they are going to struggle like the Heels did last year? Not every year can be a run to the final four...even if you are a blue blood!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
We did not defeat Baylor, but knocked Duke off! ILL!!!

View attachment 5249

Big 10 is destroying the ACC this year in the challenge! Watched the Carolina/Iowa game -- felt like Carolina was a more complete team, but too many turnovers and the fact that Iowa couldn't miss from 3 point land. Garza is a beast, but Carolina big men kept in check for the most part. Although not sure how Garza ended up with 3 fouls and the 4 Carolina big men ended up with 16 fouls between them.

Gnep31

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
More than 80% of games are being played and coach K is telling the NCAA they should not be playing. The ACC and other conferences are who make those decisions, not the NCAA. I'm not sure if he was just frustrated about the loss, but he is much smarter than his comments indicated.

The Big 10 is going to be fun. One item that may have an impact is no fans. Home court advantage in the BIG is generally a huge factor! We might see more road wins this yr. Will be some great basketball being played regardless.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
More than 80% of games are being played and coach K is telling the NCAA they should not be playing. The ACC and other conferences are who make those decisions, not the NCAA. I'm not sure if he was just frustrated about the loss, but he is much smarter than his comments indicated.

The Big 10 is going to be fun. One item that may have an impact is no fans. Home court advantage in the BIG is generally a huge factor! We might see more road wins this yr. Will be some great basketball being played regardless.

Coach K is a tool. He has been whining since Dean Smith was kicking his butt and he hasn't stopped since. Anytime he thinks he is losing some type of advantage, the whining starts. Who was the biggest complainer about Kentucky and Pitino and one/dones - Coach K. And what is Coach K now - nothing but one and dones. If he was 4-0 right now, he wouldn't have a complaint in the world.

As for Big 10 -- looked real deal this week. Still think Baylor and Gonzaga are the cream of the crop, but lots of contenders everywhere this year!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Been a quiet college hoops week so far. Should pick up this weekend, I know the Heels get another crack at a Big 10 team in Ohio State.