• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

The 2020/21 NCAA Hoops Thread

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Just saw that they changed the matchup for the 4 teams this weekend. Carolina gets Kentucky and UCLA gets Ohio State.

Trying to remember what happened the last time Carolina and Kentucky met...Luke Maye. Luke Maye happened!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Gonzaga and Baylor both looked good -- still the clear 1/2 to this point.

Carolina/Kentucky was a horrible game to watch. At one point, there were 4 fouls called in a 60 second stretch and I think 50+ overall. Kentucky looked good in the 1st half, couldn't understand how they were 1-4. Than the 2nd half happened, couldn't shoot and to many turnovers. It was the exact recipe that Carolina followed last year to a losing record.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Fighting Illini have dropped to no. 13, still leading the Big 10 though!

Playing Rutgers at the moment, winning by 1 point!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Fighting Illini have dropped to no. 13, still leading the Big 10 though!

Playing Rutgers at the moment, winning by 1 point!

Close one..that Rutgers ended up winning by 3. Michigan State also got beat yesterday. Lots of upsets throughout the top 20 this year so far.

Fallout from the Kentucky game is Calipari asking one of his freshmen to step away from the team for a bit. That can not be a good sign for Big Blue Nation. Ashley Judd has to be pulling her hair out!

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Old Jimmy B said today that Syracuse will never play the University of Buffalo again because they never stopped talking trash. Seriously?? That is weak.

Gnep31

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Old Jimmy B said today that Syracuse will never play the University of Buffalo again because they never stopped talking trash. Seriously?? That is weak.
I have not seen highlights, but it must have been significant for him to make a comment like that.

I seem to recall Syracuse players in the past talking a lot as well....especially when they were good. It was the major reason I always rooted against them and Georgetown.

Dave Gman23

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I think Villanova looks good this year and hopefully they can make a run. But as of right now baring injuries Gonzaga is by far the best team in college basketball and I think they will win the tournament. They got the number 1 pick in the NBA draft in 2021 in Jalen Suggs which should make it very hard to beat them.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member

I just read this story. Boeheim comes across as totally whiny. I think the whole scandal a couple years back took a toll on him and he hasn't been the same since. I know Syracuse made it to the final four about 5 years ago, but that was sort of a miracle run, and they haven't been overly competitive lately.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I agree 100% about the Zags. I just really hope that there is a tournament this year.

In somewhat related tourney news -- the Duke womens team just opted to cancel their season. No idea what their record is, or how competitive they are this year, but that seems like a stretch, when they really just needed to shut it down for a couple of weeks to get everyone healthy again.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I just read this story. Boeheim comes across as totally whiny. I think the whole scandal a couple years back took a toll on him and he hasn't been the same since. I know Syracuse made it to the final four about 5 years ago, but that was sort of a miracle run, and they haven't been overly competitive lately.
Boeheim is worried about UB surpassing Syracuse as the premier D1 Basketball program in New York. He lost to them last year (or was it the year before?) and if not for a miraculous block in the final seconds of this last game, UB would have won 2 i a row after blowing a 16 pt lead no less. He's used to beating up on the Cornells and Colgates of the world and this UB program is a threat to his big fish in a little pond status in New York basketball. To me this looks like a 1960s/70s situation with Wooden's UCLA teams and the upstart Long Beach State teams of Jerry Tarkanian. Both Syracuse and UCLA have been scandal plagued and they'll do (or did) anything to denegate the legitimate competitors.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Boeheim is worried about UB surpassing Syracuse as the premier D1 Basketball program in New York. He lost to them last year (or was it the year before?) and if not for a miraculous block in the final seconds of this last game, UB would have won 2 i a row after blowing a 16 pt lead no less. He's used to beating up on the Cornells and Colgates of the world and this UB program is a threat to his big fish in a little pond status in New York basketball. To me this looks like a 1960s/70s situation with Wooden's UCLA teams and the upstart Long Beach State teams of Jerry Tarkanian. Both Syracuse and UCLA have been scandal plagued and they'll do (or did) anything to denegate the legitimate competitors.

It is funny you worded things the way you did - I would honestly say that I haven't thought of Syracuse as a big fish (in terms of college hoops) since probably Chris Mullin (maybe Billy Ownes). They have had some talent come through, but never enough to truly energize their chances of winning a title. As compared to a former Big East rival in Connecticut -- UConn would have horrible years, but every so often they would catch the lightning in a bottle and make a run towards a championship.

Side note - loved Tark and those UNLV teams.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
It is funny you worded things the way you did - I would honestly say that I haven't thought of Syracuse as a big fish (in terms of college hoops) since probably Chris Mullin (maybe Billy Ownes). They have had some talent come through, but never enough to truly energize their chances of winning a title. As compared to a former Big East rival in Connecticut -- UConn would have horrible years, but every so often they would catch the lightning in a bottle and make a run towards a championship.

Side note - loved Tark and those UNLV teams.
I think Syracuse basketball falls into the same category as University of Michigan football in that I still view them as national powers even though they no longer are. You did forget about the one title SU won with Carmelo Anthony but it seems most of their tournament runs are when they have mediocre teams. The talent they recruit is always hyped big time but when Elijah Hughes (the ACC's leadng scorer last year) was drafted in the 2nd round this year he was the first SU player drafted since Tyler Lydon was selected by Denver in the 1st round in 2017 and his career lasted a whopping 26 games.

I think the funniest thing was SU winning by 1 point this year over a school named Bryant. I know a lot of obscure colleges but had no idea who Bryant was. Thankfully they did not win or talk trash or they would have been blackballed too!!!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I think Syracuse basketball falls into the same category as University of Michigan football in that I still view them as national powers even though they no longer are. You did forget about the one title SU won with Carmelo Anthony but it seems most of their tournament runs are when they have mediocre teams. The talent they recruit is always hyped big time but when Elijah Hughes (the ACC's leadng scorer last year) was drafted in the 2nd round this year he was the first SU player drafted since Tyler Lydon was selected by Denver in the 1st round in 2017 and his career lasted a whopping 26 games.

I think the funniest thing was SU winning by 1 point this year over a school named Bryant. I know a lot of obscure colleges but had no idea who Bryant was. Thankfully they did not win or talk trash or they would have been blackballed too!!!

I am trying to figure out how I put Mullin at Syracuse. Clearly he was at St.Johns. And how I didn't remember Carmelo Anthony is beyond me. That is what happens when you don't focus and try to do to many things at once!

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I am trying to figure out how I put Mullin at Syracuse. Clearly he was at St.Johns. And how I didn't remember Carmelo Anthony is beyond me. That is what happens when you don't focus and try to do to many things at once!
I'm shocked I did not catch the Mullins part. I'm guessing you were talking about Coleman and Owens who were the big duo at Syracuse back in the late 80s/early 90s. The 'Cuse does not get players like that anymore. I'm still surprised that group did not win an NCAA title given aall the talent on those teams. But college basketball was much more talent laden back then where there seemed to be NBA players on every major confernece team.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I'm shocked I did not catch the Mullins part. I'm guessing you were talking about Coleman and Owens who were the big duo at Syracuse back in the late 80s/early 90s. The 'Cuse does not get players like that anymore. I'm still surprised that group did not win an NCAA title given aall the talent on those teams. But college basketball was much more talent laden back then where there seemed to be NBA players on every major confernece team.

So many variable when guessing who will win a title year to year. All it takes is one off night, or one night of someone lighting it up and you are done. You mention some of these teams that have fallen off the map. UCLA. One title since Wooden. Indiana. No titles since Knight. Arizona. last title was Lute Olson? Trying to think of other 2-3-4 title teams that have not had much success lately. Duke and Kentucky for all their one and done bluster, have been competitive but have one won title each in the last 10 years going that route. Despite their fall off the cliff last year -- in my opinion, the two most dominant teams of the past 10-15 years have been Carolina and Villanova.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So many variable when guessing who will win a title year to year. All it takes is one off night, or one night of someone lighting it up and you are done. You mention some of these teams that have fallen off the map. UCLA. One title since Wooden. Indiana. No titles since Knight. Arizona. last title was Lute Olson? Trying to think of other 2-3-4 title teams that have not had much success lately. Duke and Kentucky for all their one and done bluster, have been competitive but have one won title each in the last 10 years going that route. Despite their fall off the cliff last year -- in my opinion, the two most dominant teams of the past 10-15 years have been Carolina and Villanova.
Two other power programs that have fallen off are UNLV and Georgetown. Both programs were totally coach driven with Georgetown getting some help from being in the Big East when that conference was a power.

Mu buddy told me a few weeks ago that Indiana has never won the Big Ten Toernament which is hard to believe given their history. That is just an illustration on how that program has fallen off.

That Duke and Kentucky statover the last 10 years is shocking. I had no idea since it seems one or the other is always #1 in the rankings.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Two other power programs that have fallen off are UNLV and Georgetown. Both programs were totally coach driven with Georgetown getting some help from being in the Big East when that conference was a power.

Mu buddy told me a few weeks ago that Indiana has never won the Big Ten Toernament which is hard to believe given their history. That is just an illustration on how that program has fallen off.

That Duke and Kentucky statover the last 10 years is shocking. I had no idea since it seems one or the other is always #1 in the rankings.

Another one came to mind - Kansas. I think they are one championship this century? And I would wager they have been ranked #1 for as many weeks as the Carolinas, Dukes, Kentuckys of the world lately. When was the last Michigan State title - Mateen Cleaves????

In other news - sounds like the NCAA has a plan to play the tournament this year. Every game to be played in Indiana at a combination of different venues. I truly hope it works out. Of all the sporting events nixed last year, March Madness and The British Open were the two I missed the most.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Was watching Carolina last night online, since we don't get the ACC Network here. Still some serious growing pains that they are going through. That front line is tough, and they made free throws -- last year, this game would have been a loss. Lots of players getting playing time.

In contrast - I looked at the box score of the Duke/VT game (which VT won rather easily), 4 of their 5 starters played over 40 minutes. The 5th played 38 minutes. They only had 4 players come off the bench, 1 for 2 minutes, 1 for 4 minutes, 1 for 12 minutes, 1 for 14 minutes. This seems to be a pattern that has developed down in Durham the past decade or so. K just rides his top 5 or 6 guys and hopes they can carry him to a win.