The Bench 2017 Sports Talk Thread

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Simple: one of them, probably Stanton, plays LF.
Lineup is potentially lethal.
Now Cashman only has to fix the pitching staff.
Boots

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Simple: one of them, probably Stanton, plays LF.
Lineup is potentially lethal.
Now Cashman only has to fix the pitching staff.
Boots

I think your last sentence is more important than the first sentence - without pitching, they will go nowhere.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I really do not know how the Spurs do it. They are 19-8 without Kawaii Leonard playing a single second this year and without Tony Parker for most of the year. They beat Boston on Friday night when GINOBILIIII hit the game winning 3 pointer in the final seconds. That would be 40 year old Manu GINOBILIIIII.

The they turn around the very next night and beat Phoenix on the second night of a back to back. Granted Phoenix is not great shakes but the Spurs played without Leonard, Green and Anderson who were out with injuries and Gasol, Parker and GINOBILIIIIII who were rested. That is 6 rotation player that were out and they still won. They did have Aldridge, Murray, Rudy Gay and Patty Mills but the other 6 guys who played last night, I have no idea who they are!!!

I know I am a Spurs fan but it really is safe to say they are the best run organization in sports. And a strong case could be made for Popovich being the greatest coach of all time. It is highly doubtful any other coach could consistently have his team perform at this high a level, over this period of time with the merry band of mostly anonymous players he has had especially in recent years. It is a shame they lost Jonathan Simmons (one of those anonymous players) to Orlando in the of season or they would be right there with Houston and GSW. As it is they are only 2.5 games behind them.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
I really do not know how the Spurs do it. They are 19-8 without Kawaii Leonard playing a single second this year and without Tony Parker for most of the year. They beat Boston on Friday night when GINOBILIIII hit the game winning 3 pointer in the final seconds. That would be 40 year old Manu GINOBILIIIII.

The they turn around the very next night and beat Phoenix on the second night of a back to back. Granted Phoenix is not great shakes but the Spurs played without Leonard, Green and Anderson who were out with injuries and Gasol, Parker and GINOBILIIIIII who were rested. That is 6 rotation player that were out and they still won. They did have Aldridge, Murray, Rudy Gay and Patty Mills but the other 6 guys who played last night, I have no idea who they are!!!

I know I am a Spurs fan but it really is safe to say they are the best run organization in sports. And a strong case could be made for Popovich being the greatest coach of all time. It is highly doubtful any other coach could consistently have his team perform at this high a level, over this period of time with the merry band of mostly anonymous players he has had especially in recent years. It is a shame they lost Jonathan Simmons (one of those anonymous players) to Orlando in the of season or they would be right there with Houston and GSW. As it is they are only 2.5 games behind them.

Amen to that. Ginobili's shot was one for the ages-I think it scraped the ceiling- but it went in which is all that matters. Pop is incerdible; I just wish he was a little less petulant when asked a question.

I think your last sentence is more important than the first sentence - without pitching, they will go nowhere.

As Yogi said: "Good pitching will always beat good hitting, and vice versa." They can only hope Montgomery is te real thing, that they can squeeze a another year like last out of C.C., and that Betances gets back in the groove and finds the strike zone.
It could be a real fun year in the Bonx!

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Boots, I was watching when GINOBILIIIII shot that 3 pointer with that high arc and because of that arc, it looked like it was going to be good..........which it sure was. And I think Pop's shortness with reporters now is more schtick than anything. When he first gave those short answers to the questions, I think he was legitimately irritated. Now, I think it is more of an act just to get people laughing.

Chiefs-Raiders was THEE rivalry when I was growing up in both the AFL and NFL. Those games were really nasty and the teams legitimately did not like each other. I think that rivalry has kind of faded over the decades though as both teams have fallen on hard times for long stretches. Here is a short video about the most famous Chiefs/Raiders brawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6EF9bBmOKU

I was in grade school when that occurred and I remember it like it was yesterday. My favorite player, Otis Taylor rightfully went after Ben Davidson. And watch #30 of the Chiefs, Gloster Richardson, punch Davidson right in the package. LOL The wailing and gnashing of teeth if that happened today would have been ridiculous. I was a huge fan of the Chiefs back then and I wish that rivalry was still as intense today as it was back then.

I gotta agree with HOF QB Jim Kelly questioning why no one on the Bills went after Gronk last week when he dove into the back of the head of the Bills DB. The fact that no one went after Gronk was just shocking to me. What a difference between the reactions of the players back then and the ones today

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Boots, I was watching when GINOBILIIIII shot that 3 pointer with that high arc and because of that arc, it looked like it was going to be good..........which it sure was. And I think Pop's shortness with reporters now is more schtick than anything. When he first gave those short answers to the questions, I think he was legitimately irritated. Now, I think it is more of an act just to get people laughing.

Chiefs-Raiders was THEE rivalry when I was growing up in both the AFL and NFL. Those games were really nasty and the teams legitimately did not like each other. I think that rivalry has kind of faded over the decades though as both teams have fallen on hard times for long stretches. Here is a short video about the most famous Chiefs/Raiders brawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6EF9bBmOKU

I was in grade school when that occurred and I remember it like it was yesterday. My favorite player, Otis Taylor rightfully went after Ben Davidson. And watch #30 of the Chiefs, Gloster Richardson, punch Davidson right in the package. LOL The wailing and gnashing of teeth if that happened today would have been ridiculous. I was a huge fan of the Chiefs back then and I wish that rivalry was still as intense today as it was back then.

I gotta agree with HOF QB Jim Kelly questioning why no one on the Bills went after Gronk last week when he dove into the back of the head of the Bills DB. The fact that no one went after Gronk was just shocking to me. What a difference between the reactions of the players back then and the ones today
Faded over the years...are u kidding me!! Raiderfans have been on the downside 12 of the last 13 years!! Plus the Chiefs have been the last 3 years....6 and 2 over the Faders....and over Derek Carr!! Best wishes, David

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Morris and Trammell make it into the Hall.....Having trouble figuring out why Trammell would be in, but not Lou Whitaker, feels like they were the exact same player in Detroit for years.....

And sorry Eagles fans, we just aren't allowed to have nice toys to play with....If Wentz is truly down with an ACL, once again it is wait until net year....

Fun game in Buffalo...and same for Army/Navy. That is how I remember football in the backyard.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Morris and Trammell make it into the Hall.....Having trouble figuring out why Trammell would be in, but not Lou Whitaker, feels like they were the exact same player in Detroit for years.....

And sorry Eagles fans, we just aren't allowed to have nice toys to play with....If Wentz is truly down with an ACL, once again it is wait until net year....

Fun game in Buffalo...and same for Army/Navy. That is how I remember football in the backyard.

On the radio....claiming that theses players were denied a fair chance of being voted in the HOF because of all the Users being on the HOF ballots......during the above players voting period. Best wishes, David PS Not agreeing with them...just stating what they .... the Board who voted them in claims.

Last edited:

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Everything I have heard or read concerning the Buffalo/Indy snow game has been totally positive. I turned the game on at the beginning of the 4th quarter and was shocked to see the weather conditions. I ended up watching the rest of the game which is the only game I have watched this year besides the Thanksgiving games witch are kind of a tradition for me. One of the many, many reasons the NFL has slowly lost me over the last 40 years is the number of teams that play indoors instead of in the elements.

I was shocked to find out that Frank Gore is the 5th leading rusher in NFL history. I had no idea! And it is not due to the number of carries as he has one more carry than Ladanian Tomlinson and has several hundred more rushing yards than LT. His career average yard per carry is equal or better than LT, Dorsett and Dickerson all of whom were considered speed/breakaway threats where Gore has always been considered a grinder. I never considered him a HOFer until I saw his career stats. I think the fact he did not have any dominant years like a guy like the others is the reason he has not been held in higher regard. I figured his AYPC was around 4.0 or 3.9 but is a very respectable 4.4.

I always put Morris and Trammel in the group with guys like Dale Murphy, Lou Whitaker, Lee Smith, Larry Walker and the like that were under consideration for the Hall but would probably fall short.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Morris Winning the 7 game of the 1991 World Series for the Twins ....1-0 was outstanding! Best wishes, David

If Morris is in, than Schilling is in. And while I think that 1991 Game 7 performance was one for the ages, you shouldn't get into the HOF for one memory. I never turned on the TV to watch Alan Trammell. I turned on the TV to watch Mike Schmidt, to watch Nolan Ryan, to watch Ozzie Smith. We have had this discussion over and over - there is a HOF and there is a Hall of Really Good.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Andy:
AGREE!
Boots
If Morris is in, than Schilling is in. And while I think that 1991 Game 7 performance was one for the ages, you shouldn't get into the HOF for one memory. I never turned on the TV to watch Alan Trammell. I turned on the TV to watch Mike Schmidt, to watch Nolan Ryan, to watch Ozzie Smith. We have had this discussion over and over - there is a HOF and there is a Hall of Really Good.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Twins picked up a pitcher from the Yankees Micheal Pineda 10 million for two years....recovering from TJ Surgery.................so he could only pitch maybe half of next year?? Best wishes, David

dragonslayer913

5.00 star(s)
Angels acquire Ian Kinsler from Tigers for 2 minor leaguers Wilkel Hernandez / Troy Montgomery
Cardinals acquire Marcel Ozuna from the Marlins for 2 minor leaguers Zac Gallen / Daniel Gastano
Athletics acquire Stephen Piscotty from the Cardinals for 2 minor leaguers Yairo Munoz / Max Schrock

Who will Manny Machado be traded to? front runner appears to be the White Sox with the Giants being a close second-The Giants offered Christian Arroyo and don't count the Phillies out on this.

Yankees/ Pirates discussing possible Gerrit Cole trade.Pirates are rumored to be interested in Clint Frazier and Chance Adams in return.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Twins picked up a pitcher from the Yankees Micheal Pineda 10 million for two years....recovering from TJ Surgery.................so he could only pitch maybe half of next year?? Best wishes, David

If memory serves me correctly, wasn't Pineda a sure fire HOF'r when he started out. Would love to see him and Hughes get healthy and good again to lead that rotation.

Angels acquire Ian Kinsler from Tigers for 2 minor leaguers Wilkel Hernandez / Troy Montgomery
Cardinals acquire Marcel Ozuna from the Marlins for 2 minor leaguers Zac Gallen / Daniel Gastano
Athletics acquire Stephen Piscotty from the Cardinals for 2 minor leaguers Yairo Munoz / Max Schrock

Who will Manny Machado be traded to? front runner appears to be the White Sox with the Giants being a close second-The Giants offered Christian Arroyo and don't count the Phillies out on this.

Yankees/ Pirates discussing possible Gerrit Cole trade.Pirates are rumored to be interested in Clint Frazier and Chance Adams in return.

Not sure who will pay the price for Machado, unless they can get a long term deal signed with him. If he is going to be a FA after next season, why give up prospects when you can just shell out cash next year. Especially if you aren't in position to make a deep playoff run this year - so count the Phillies out!

Piscotty deal was more about being close to family than anything (think his mom is sick?) - if that is the case, class move by the Cardinals and Athletics for making the deal happen.

Angels appear to be all in on this year, at least offensively - not sure about any of their arms though!

dragonslayer913

5.00 star(s)
Phillies sign Carlos Santana 3 yrs 60M
Philles trade Freddy Galvis to the Padres for minor leaguer Enyel De Los Santos
Angels sign Zack Cozart 3 yrs 38M guessing Cozart will play 3rd with Kinsler at 2b and Andrelton Simmons at SS

If Machado does get traded its not going to be to any of the A.L. East teams personally I see him with the Orioles in 2018
Will the Pirates move McCutchen or Harrison ???