The Bench 2017 Sports Talk Thread

dragonslayer913

5.00 star(s)
Dodgers trade Adrian Gonzalez / Scott Kazmir / Brandon McCarthy and Charlie Culberson to the Braves for Matt Kemp-Gonzalez will be designated for assignment and Kemp will be released by the Dodgers trade is all about getting the Dodgers under the Luxury Tax threshold of 197M

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Phillies sign Carlos Santana 3 yrs 60M
Philles trade Freddy Galvis to the Padres for minor leaguer Enyel De Los Santos
Angels sign Zack Cozart 3 yrs 38M guessing Cozart will play 3rd with Kinsler at 2b and Andrelton Simmons at SS

If Machado does get traded its not going to be to any of the A.L. East teams personally I see him with the Orioles in 2018
Will the Pirates move McCutchen or Harrison ???

Still trying to grasp the Santana signing for the Phillies, while Santana shouldn't be the boat anchor that Howard was...is the Philly front office convinced they are close enough to contending for a playoff spot that this is a worthwhile move??

Bowl season has started.....41 games...three that matter.....one champion, which will be Alabama, who wasn't good enough to win SEC West, let alone the SEC...but give them a spot so they can jack up ratings. How many potential first/second round picks don't even suit up.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Kansas City Chiefs 30 over Los Angeles Chargers 13.......Best wishes, David

Completely missed that there was football on Saturday. Was too busy watching another top 3 NCAA hoops team fall - Wichita State loses to Oklahoma..at home, that isn't the way to grab a #1 seed in the tourney.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Only 8 days to Christmas! Best wishes, David

Hope everyone is getting their shopping done!

Sounds like the Carolina Panthers will be up for sale after the season, as long as they don't cash the check until after December 31st, I will throw my name into the ring!

Marvin Lewis out as head coach of the Bengals after the year is done - feel like he did a great job building that franchise back up, but probably should have left 2-3 years ago.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Evan Longoria to the SF Giants. Curious to see if this will result in a bit of a rejuvenation for his career. He seems to have stagnated a bit in Tampa.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
And/or will it result in a Giants return to the W.S. in an even year, having missed in 2016 for the first time this decade!
Boots
Evan Longoria to the SF Giants. Curious to see if this will result in a bit of a rejuvenation for his career. He seems to have stagnated a bit in Tampa.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
And/or will it result in a Giants return to the W.S. in an even year, having missed in 2016 for the first time this decade!
Boots

I think the Giants need a lot more than Longoria to get back to the Series.

Another top 5 hoops team loses last night...Tar Heels drop one at home to Wofford...brutal game to watch. Much like their loss to Michigan State, they couldn't have thrown it into the ocean, standing on the beach.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
As Yogi said: "Good hitting always beats good pitching, and vice versa."
My friend's son is a freshman on the UNC team (Andrew Platek). I've tried to watch their games, but missed last night's. Roy must be pulling his hair out!
Boots

Another top 5 hoops team loses last night...Tar Heels drop one at home to Wofford...brutal game to watch. Much like their loss to Michigan State, they couldn't have thrown it into the ocean, standing on the beach.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
As Yogi said: "Good hitting always beats good pitching, and vice versa."
My friend's son is a freshman on the UNC team (Andrew Platek). I've tried to watch their games, but missed last night's. Roy must be pulling his hair out!
Boots

Very cool - showed this post to my son and his eyes lit up! Platek is definitely getting some run right now, hopefully he is enjoying his time at Chapel Hill. The Heels are a sweet 16 team this year - will be national title contenders again starting next year. Hoping they get slotted in one of the Pittsburgh regionals this year so we can go see them play again.

David K.

5.00 star(s)

Giants need pitching! Happy Holidays, David

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Wins by Boise State, Wyoming and now Fresno State! Only lose so far San Diego St. Fresno State 33 to 26 over Houston! From 1-11 last year to 10-4 this year. Happy Holidays, David

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
My Mets need healthy pitching! They have paid the price for their push to the playoff/series in 2015 & 2016 when they pushed their young starters.
Boots

Agree, they are struggling a bit, but again, so is everyone else! You look at the Astros - do they win the series without the last minute pick up of Verlander???

Nice bounceback by the Heels to beat Ohio State in New Orleans on Saturday - ACC play starts this weekend. Should be a fun ride.