The Bench 2018 Sports Talk Thread

Boots

5.00 star(s)
James Harden goes for 60 with a triple double (first with 60 pts) against Orlando!
Wall out for Wizards as is Love for Cavs.
Still time, but playoffs are getting closer.

Boots

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Speculation I heard last night watching the Celtics\Nuggets game, was that they're trying to make a run at LeBron and George this summer and getting rid of salary to do it...

I heard the same thing - I just don't think there is ANY chance that Lebron goes to a Western Conference team - the cakewalk in the East is tough to move away from. There is a reason he has made it to 8 straight finals - and he wants no part of playing the Warriors or Rockets or anyone tough just to get to the Finals....

NOOOOO! Chiefs traded Alex Smith to Washington for a defensive player and 3rd round draft pick. Winning record for the chiefs since 2011! Without Alex Smith 2 and 14 in 2010....Best regards, David PS best of luck to Alex Smith!

Shocking...No clue what the Redskins were thinking on this one. Other than they were afraid to pay Cousins....and they gave up a starting cornerback in the process, because, you know, those grow on trees!!! So where does that leave Cousins??? And what do the Skins get back for him??? If I am the Browns, I offer a 2nd and 4th round and see if they bite.

Kevin Love out 6-8 weeks with a broken hand...wonder if any of his teammates will complain about him missing time with this injury. The Cavs are a trainwreck right now. Haven't seen any nights with 3 or 4 of them sitting in the stands "resting" this year....

rotorob

5.00 star(s)
I heard the same thing - I just don't think there is ANY chance that Lebron goes to a Western Conference team - the cakewalk in the East is tough to move away from. There is a reason he has made it to 8 straight finals - and he wants no part of playing the Warriors or Rockets or anyone tough just to get to the Finals....

Shocking...No clue what the Redskins were thinking on this one. Other than they were afraid to pay Cousins....and they gave up a starting cornerback in the process, because, you know, those grow on trees!!! So where does that leave Cousins??? And what do the Skins get back for him??? If I am the Browns, I offer a 2nd and 4th round and see if they bite.

Kevin Love out 6-8 weeks with a broken hand...wonder if any of his teammates will complain about him missing time with this injury. The Cavs are a trainwreck right now. Haven't seen any nights with 3 or 4 of them sitting in the stands "resting" this year....

Not so sure that the East will be the cakewalk it has been. Celtics, 76ers, Raptors and (to hear them tell it) the Wizards are much tougher than the Pacers, Hawks, and the others he went through to get there.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Not so sure that the East will be the cakewalk it has been. Celtics, 76ers, Raptors and (to hear them tell it) the Wizards are much tougher than the Pacers, Hawks, and the others he went through to get there.

Maybe? Wizards just took a hit with Wall going down. Sixers..still learning the process. Celtics...only if Heyward comes back - Irving/Tatum can't handle all the scoring. Raptors...they may be the ones....

And I goofed on the Cousins info - he is a free agent, so the Browns could sign him and not have to give up a single draft pick to get him.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Literally....nothing of note happened in sports yesterday....

Will go local for the news of the day - Nationally ranked Division III York College (PA) mens hoops teams won again last night. I believe they are 16-2 and in the drivers seat for the CAC regular season championship.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Davey Lopes has retired! Baserunning/base stealing guru! He was a good, solid, dependable member of the '70's and '80's Dodgers' infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey that was one of the best in the game and went to several W.S. He then made a career out of teaching guys how to steal and run the bases. He was in the game for 45 straight years!
Sad to see someone with his degree of expertise hang them up, but I guess you do what you want to do. Sounds like it was pretty much his own decision.
Replaced by Tim Bogar (scratches head).

Boots

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Thanks to Alex Smith! Winning seasons and making the playoffs! 7 years...Best wishes to you with the Washington! Best regards, David

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Spring training boycott???? Yikes!!!!
What do you think the chances are? Is there enough solidarity among players?
Boots

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Spring training boycott???? Yikes!!!!
What do you think the chances are? Is there enough solidarity among players?
Boots

0% chance. Players are complaining about the "bad" FA offers. Moustakas got a 7 year/$150 million?? offer. And I know other offers have been out there. What the two agents who brought this up see as collusion, I see as owners finally wising up and not giving 10 year/$250 million offers out to guys who don't deserve more than 2 years/$10 million offers. Just wait until next year when Harper and Machado hit the open market, plenty of cash will be thrown around at that point.

If the players want these big offers, than the owners will ask for a salary cap and non guaranteed contracts. You need a way to escape from these boat anchor contracts, especially if you are a smaller market.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
7 hours until game time....and somehow we are already 72 hours into pre-game coverage.

Glad to see Brian Dawkins get into the Football HOF - my favorite player on my favorite team. And than some other guys made it in as well.

Another crazy day in college hoops, feel like a half dozen or so Top 25 teams went down. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Oklahoma, off the top of my head. March Madness just gets crazy earlier every year! I mean are really supposed to believe that Purdue and Virginia are the teams we should be putting our $$$ on to cut down the nets at the end!

dragonslayer913

5.00 star(s)
7 hours until game time....and somehow we are already 72 hours into pre-game coverage.

Glad to see Brian Dawkins get into the Football HOF - my favorite player on my favorite team. And than some other guys made it in as well.

Another crazy day in college hoops, feel like a half dozen or so Top 25 teams went down. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Oklahoma, off the top of my head. March Madness just gets crazy earlier every year! I mean are really supposed to believe that Purdue and Virginia are the teams we should be putting our $$$ on to cut down the nets at the end!

I have a crazy feeling Eagles are going to pull it off - Think Brady is going to be forced into making some bad passes and throw a few interceptions think Eagles win 24-21

Boots

5.00 star(s)
I don't have a dog in this fight, as I am a Big Blue fan, so I'm ambivalent. In this area there are a lot of Patriot fans (as there are Red Sox and Celtic fans) given that we are as close to Boston as to NYC. On the other hand, my roomie from college (who now lives in the area) married a gal from the Philly and I was close to her family.
For all the criticism, etc, you have to admire what the Patriots are able to do in putting together a competitive team every year with a team first attitude.
But, the Eagles have not had much success lately, so the underdog thing tugs.
I just hope it is a good game, well played and exciting.

Boots

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
My heart says Philly. My brain/wallet says New England.

What he said.

I don't think it is going to be close at all. I think the Patriots will win easily. Philadelphia has lost more key players for the year than Carson Wentz this year and if you are going to dethrone the Pats you have to be near 100%. Plus, I no longer trust the officiating. Every key call and every controversial call goes against the Patriots opponent and very few penalties are called on New England. It happens too often to be coincidental,

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will because I am.......and not just when it comes to sports.

I very much want Philly to win but think it'll be New England 31-10. If it happens to be a close game look for a big call to go against Philly to derail their chances.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
One, repeat ONE penalty against the Pats. Fly Eagles Fly!!!!!

It is nothing but green and white fireworks out my back window right now!!!

Cloud 9 baby!!!!

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Eagles 41 over Pats 33!!! First time champs! Best regards, David

What? Did the NFL strip the Eagles of their 1948, 1949 and 1960 Championships? I need to find out what that was all about!!

I too noticed there was only one penalty on the Pats a 5 yard illegal procedure against Gronk. I'm shocked the rfs did not say he was induced by the Eagles to jump.

I think the NFL did not dare to overturn the one controversial TD by the Eagles after the history of the Pats benefiting from calls like that on 3 separate occasions in the regular season. That could have been a costly overturn by the NFL if they had reversed that call. A lot of fans would have given up on the NFL for good had that happened. And I have no idea how the announcers thought Eartz's game winning TD was not a catch. What the heck was that all about?

If you had told me that the Eagles had won and I had not seen the game, I would never have thought it was Nick Fowles playing out of his mind that was the deciding factor. I would have guessed the D played a stellar game (they were awful) or that the Egles had run for an astounding amount of yards and won the game by ball control. While the running game was very good it was not the deciding factor.

Glad my prediction was wrong and very happy for the Eagles!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
I like the Eagles in the Superbowl! Best regards, David PS Kansas Chief beat both teams in the Superbowl....Eagles peaking at the right time.

What? Did the NFL strip the Eagles of their 1948, 1949 and 1960 Championships? I need to find out what that was all about!!

I too noticed there was only one penalty on the Pats a 5 yard illegal procedure against Gronk. I'm shocked the rfs did not say he was induced by the Eagles to jump.

I think the NFL did not dare to overturn the one controversial TD by the Eagles after the history of the Pats benefiting from calls like that on 3 separate occasions in the regular season. That could have been a costly overturn by the NFL if they had reversed that call. A lot of fans would have given up on the NFL for good had that happened. And I have no idea how the announcers thought Eartz's game winning TD was not a catch. What the heck was that all about?

If you had told me that the Eagles had won and I had not seen the game, I would never have thought it was Nick Fowles playing out of his mind that was the deciding factor. I would have guessed the D played a stellar game (they were awful) or that the Egles had run for an astounding amount of yards and won the game by ball control. While the running game was very good it was not the deciding factor.

Glad my prediction was wrong and very happy for the Eagles!

Said the guy who felt the Pats were going to win! Best regards, David