The Bench 2019 Sports Talk Thread

David K.

5.00 star(s)
San Jose Sharks 6 to 3 over the St. Louis Blues.....second game on Monday. Best regards, David

Last edited:

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Pete Alonso leads all MLB rookies with 12 HRs. Hits one tonight and the Mets help deGrom snap his streak of starts without a win.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Mad Bum submits a list of 8 teams to which he would not approve a trade-all contenders that might want to acquire him from the Giants, not teams he wants to avoid! very strategic!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
One hitter by Hyun-Jin Ryu 5-1 ....8th inning with one out and Para hits ground rule double. Best regards, David PS Cody goes 3 for 3 with one base on balls against Strasburg 3-3.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Masahiro Tanaka spins seven innings, 1ER and the Yankees pull to within 1/2 game of the Rays for first place.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Bumgarner’s strategically-chosen teams are the Braves, Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, Brewers, Yankees, Phillies, and Cardinals. However, don't think the Twins are in the running.....Limited $$$ Best regards, David

Boots

5.00 star(s)
John Beilein (former LeMoyne BSKB Coach) leaving Michigan to take on the Cavalier's head coaching job!
Best of luck, Coach B!

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
John Beilein (former LeMoyne BSKB Coach) leaving Michigan to take on the Cavalier's head coaching job!
Best of luck, Coach B!

I was surprised to hear that as he had a heck of a program going at U of M. I'd assume the money was much greater in the NBA even though Michigan is a very wealthy university.

Beilein's son just recently left Lemoyne to become the coach of Niagara. Pretty good coaching lineage coming out of tiny LeMoyne college!

Boots

5.00 star(s)
I was surprised to hear that as he had a heck of a program going at U of M. I'd assume the money was much greater in the NBA even though Michigan is a very wealthy university.

Beilein's son just recently left Lemoyne to become the coach of Niagara. Pretty good coaching lineage coming out of tiny LeMoyne college!

Can you believe that? And it is not in Fresno, Cali, Minnesota or Kansas City!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Bumgarner’s strategically-chosen teams are the Braves, Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, Brewers, Yankees, Phillies, and Cardinals. However, don't think the Twins are in the running.....Limited $$$ Best regards, David

Wouldn't surprise me if he added the Twins to the list -- sometimes a shot at a championship will make you change your mind.

Best of luck, Coach B!

Surprised they didn't ask Lue to come back - since he rejected the Lakers - I know the Knicks are the biggest front office dumpster fire in the NBA, but right now, the Lakers have to be a close second. Glad they took Vogel AFTER signing Kidd to be an assistant - pretty much that means that coach Frank should be renting and not buying in LA!

Twins starting to pull away from the pack. Best regards, David

Second best record in the AL right now... Long way to go, but if the Tribe doesn't start hitting and Kluber/Clevinger don't come back, Minny has a great shot.

Tiger has teed off this morning in search of the 2nd leg of the grand slam and his 16th major - Bethpage Black. Won the 2002 US Open there, so hoping it has good memories for him.

Glad to see hockey isn't immune to the recent rash of horrible officiating. Four officials on the ice and not one of them saw an amazingly blatant hand pass that set up the winning goal for the Sharks in OT??

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Blues smoke the Sharks in the Sharks' building to take a 3-2 series lead. Blues can close it out at home on Tuesday.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Wow did the good vibes of Tiger winning in Augusta fade quickly as he missed the cut at the PGA at Bethpage. Brooks Koepka was running away with the title for 3+ days...and than the wind whipped up and things got ugly! Almost lost a 7 shot lead on the last day of a major - would have been the biggest collapse ever. But he pulled it together on the last 4 holes and Dustin Johnson stumbled on the last 4 with a couple unforced errors that turned into bogeys...

That is now 4 majors for Koepka in the last 8 majors he has played. Other than that, he only has 2 tour titles. I think I would be completely okay with that tradeoff!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Wouldn't surprise me if he added the Twins to the list -- sometimes a shot at a championship will make you change your mind.

Surprised they didn't ask Lue to come back - since he rejected the Lakers - I know the Knicks are the biggest front office dumpster fire in the NBA, but right now, the Lakers have to be a close second. Glad they took Vogel AFTER signing Kidd to be an assistant - pretty much that means that coach Frank should be renting and not buying in LA!

Second best record in the AL right now... Long way to go, but if the Tribe doesn't start hitting and Kluber/Clevinger don't come back, Minny has a great shot.

Tiger has teed off this morning in search of the 2nd leg of the grand slam and his 16th major - Bethpage Black. Won the 2002 US Open there, so hoping it has good memories for him.

Glad to see hockey isn't immune to the recent rash of horrible officiating. Four officials on the ice and not one of them saw an amazingly blatant hand pass that set up the winning goal for the Sharks in OT??

Most good players take a past on the Twins.....in the past the only way .....they came from Minn and we're looking to end their career with them. Best regards, David

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Most good players take a past on the Twins.....in the past the only way .....they came from Minn and we're looking to end their career with them. Best regards, David
Here is my thing, as a life long Twins fan. In the 70's and 80's while Calvin Griffith was still the owner, he had no time for free agency. In the 70 Blyleven was traded to the Rangers for Roy Smalley and Mike Cubbage. Carew was traded to the Angels for Dave Engle, and Paul Hartzell. Once Smalley and Cubbage were eligible for Free agency they were shipped off in the early 80's. Ron Davis, Greg Gagne were aquired from the Yankees in a couple deals. Gary Ward got shipped off to the Rangers for Mike Smithson and John Butcher. Although Ward at one point felt that was more a racial deal than because of the money he made. 1984 comes along and Kirby Puckett gets called up, the team is sold to the Pohlad family and they come within games of winning the AL West. (although that year they would have been no match for the Tigers)
In 1987 Dan Gladden and Jeff Reardon were both trades, and of course Blyleven had come back a year and a half before so again no big FA signings. Viola was shipped off to the Mets in 89 for Tapani, and Dave West. In 91 several small deals brought in Pags and Chilli which was huge along of course with Jack Morris. Through the 90 Winfield, Molitor and Steinbach all came home and once the team fell apart again in the mid 90's Erickson, Tapani, Aggie, were all shippped off in deadline deals. My point I guess I am trying to make is when they have gone for the big money, splashy FA signing it hasn't worked out. AKA Lance Lynn.
The Pohlad family has more money than the Steinbrenner's but fewer outside revenue streams. I would much rather see them build from the ground up like they did between 98 and 2010. Hunter, Jones, Cuddyer, Koskie, A.J., Radke, Santana, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, it was a fun time to be a Twins fan and although only a few could be considered superstars, all those 2000's teams were so much fun to watch. If we were to get Mad Bum, it would be great, but I wouldn't want to mortgage the future for a rental.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Mets get bad news Cespedes breaks ankle in fall on his ranch. He was going to comeback after the All-Star break. Best regards, David