The Bench 2019 Sports Talk Thread

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Kansas City looks like they have no idea how to solve New England in the 1st half. It is only 14-0 but feels like 50-0.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Patriot dynasty continues to roll. Third year in a row in the Super Bowl.

I always root against the Pats but I do have a grudging admiration for them. They truly are the all time greatest NFL dynasty. The have the GOAT at QB and at coach and all other parts are interchangeable.

Once the Texans lost to the Eagles late in the season and gave up the 2 seed to NE, I had a bad feeling they were going to be the AFC representative in the Super Bowl and I was sadly correct.

The two plays that determined those two games were the non call against the Rams for PI. At that point the Saints just had to take a few knees and kick a chip shot FG for the win. Granted they still had to make the kick but odd were heavily in their favor to be successful.

And the Chief who lined up offside nullifying the interception with a little less than 2 minutes left was the other key play. Talk about an unforced error! Stuff like that separates the Pats from the rest of the NFL. They would never make a mistake like that in the clutch.

Next year it'll be 50 years since the Chiefs were in the Super Bowl and as great as they looked this year, there is no guarantee they will return ias the 2019 SFC representative.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
I always root against the Pats but I do have a grudging admiration for them. They truly are the all time greatest NFL dynasty. The have the GOAT at QB and at coach and all other parts are interchangeable.

Once the Texans lost to the Eagles late in the season and gave up the 2 seed to NE, I had a bad feeling they were going to be the AFC representative in the Super Bowl and I was sadly correct.

The two plays that determined those two games were the non call against the Rams for PI. At that point the Saints just had to take a few knees and kick a chip shot FG for the win. Granted they still had to make the kick but odd were heavily in their favor to be successful.

And the Chief who lined up offside nullifying the interception with a little less than 2 minutes left was the other key play. Talk about an unforced error! Stuff like that separates the Pats from the rest of the NFL. They would never make a mistake like that in the clutch.

Next year it'll be 50 years since the Chiefs were in the Super Bowl and as great as they looked this year, there is no guarantee they will return ias the 2019 SFC representative.

We have a LOT of New England fans in this area, but I have historically disliked them. As Big Blue fan I was nothing short of ecstatic when we beat the Pats not once, but twice in the SB. (You can call it "luck", "freak plays" or whatever you want, it does not change the scoreboard at the end of the game). Nonetheless, I have come to a grudging respect for their organization. Every year they seem to be able to plug one or two or three (or more) guys who are "nobodies" in and they produce and win. That shows me that coaching and player management is more important than many give them credit for.
The Rams win was heavily tainted by the non-call on PI. There wasn't even a referee conference after the play to re-consider. A travesty of a way to lose.
Boots

Rabs

5.00 star(s)
Every year they seem to be able to plug one or two or three (or more) guys who are "nobodies" in and they produce and win. That shows me that coaching and player management is more important than many give them credit for.

This 100%. This is what makes the team great year after year. Brady gets all the credit usually because he's the QB. Brady doesn't play defense. Brady doesn't create the gameplan to stop the other team and exploit the weakness. I could go on and on. Yes Brady is great as much as I dislike him, but Belichick is the force that makes the team great. So many no name players like you said that get cut or don't make it on other teams come to New England and excel. All a product of the amazing Belichick system.

More on Brady...he is probably the most immobile QB in the NFL yet never gets sacked (didn't last night and didn't against the Chargers I don't think). It's incredible how well the o-line and RBs block for him. If you notice many of his passes are to RBs or across the middle because these are safe, high percentage throws. They also allow him to get the ball out faster than most other teams do which means he never gets hit/sacked. If you saw Mahomes last night he was constantly pressured and rolling out of the pocket making crazy plays (much like Rodgers). How many times does Brady do this? Never. System is perfect for him and his skill set. Again, what makes Belichick the best. If you pressure Brady he is not very good which is very evident when it happens and is why the Pats have lost those SBs (especially the Giants). But again it is so hard to do even when you blitz because the line/RBs pick it up and he knows he can get rid of the ball before taking a sack.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
We have a LOT of New England fans in this area, but I have historically disliked them. As Big Blue fan I was nothing short of ecstatic when we beat the Pats not once, but twice in the SB. (You can call it "luck", "freak plays" or whatever you want, it does not change the scoreboard at the end of the game).
Boots

I don't think the Giants were any luckier or greater beneficiaries of freak plays than the Pats have been over the years. (the tuck rule, the Seattle and Atlanta coaching decisions in recent Super Bowls). The Giants matched up well against the Pats in those two SBs much like the Rams may be with Donald and Suh. I actually think the Rams may have a better shot at the Pats than the Saints would have. The Saints have struggled mightily in the last month or two and after seeing their coach's very questionable decisions yesterday, the Rams may be the better matchup. His decision making was horrible in that Rams game. And remember the Saints were lucky to get by the Nick Foles led Eagles at home last week so they have not been any dynamo as of late.

The experts always say Beichek takes away the #1 option on the opponents offense and he sure did that with Tyreke Hill yesterday. Hill had 1 catch for 42 yards and zero rushing attempts. He may not be their most frequent option but he is the Chief's most dangerous one and he seemed not to even be in the game.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Well, the Chiefs start the head rolling by 86'ing their defensive coordinator, making him the first culprit of the dashing of their Super Bowl dreams.
Boots

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Well, the Chiefs start the head rolling by 86'ing their defensive coordinator, making him the first culprit of the dashing of their Super Bowl dreams.
Boots

I don't know if you saw what happened to the Defensive Coordinator right after the game in the locker room but it was caught on tape in the following clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNX_wGyKhmM

I had no idea that guy was the Chiefs GM!!!!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Wow..get pulled away for over a week and all heck just breaks loose in the sporting world.......

Not sure why the DC in KC got axed. That loss was twofold - one complete ignorance on the defensive end who lined up in the neutral zone negating a basically game ending interception...and of course Andy Reids total inability to know when to call a timeout. First fail was on the last drive of the game, if he doesn't waste his last time out on an 11 yard completion, he would have been able to use any route he wanted with 15 seconds left and had multiple shots at the endzone..... The second fail was, how do you not call a timeout on one of those 3rd and 10's in OT and give your D a chance to get their wind. What are you saving them for at that point????? Typical Andy Reid, total clock mismanagement...

As for the Saints non-Pi call...whatever. If the Saints had scored TD's on the first two drives, the game would have been over and it wouldn't come down to the end of the game. Sean Peyton should be more upset about his horrible game plan than that call (no matter how bad it was). There were enough bad calls that went against the Rams and helped the Saints out - no one has any idea how the clock would have been affected at the end of the game. Especially the TD the Saints scored after the play clock expired....... Plus they got the ball first in the OT. Go score a TD and quit whining.

Enough football...time for James Harden talk. He has 200+ points in his last 5 games -- not a single one came with an assist. That's right, it was all FT's and iso ball. That is pretty dang impressive.

Sticking with hoops.....Boogie Cousins just made the Warriors even tougher. Has looked solid while getting his legs back under him.....

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Tough break for the Pacers and Victor Oladipo last night - ugly injury, hoping it looked worse than it truly was. He was having a great season, and assuming that he would have been an all star.

Still not sure how the Sixers won their game against the Spurs.....When Bellinelli hit the fall away 3 to go up 8?? with about 3 minutes left, thought it was over....

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Bravo to Ben Watson for calling out Roger Goodell:
“Your continued silence on this matter is unbecoming of the position you hold, detrimental to the integrity of the game and disrespectful and dismissive to football fans everywhere,” Watson wrote. “From the locker room to Park Ave, accountability is what makes our league great. Lead by example. We are waiting.”

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Bravo to Ben Watson for calling out Roger Goodell:
“Your continued silence on this matter is unbecoming of the position you hold, detrimental to the integrity of the game and disrespectful and dismissive to football fans everywhere,” Watson wrote. “From the locker room to Park Ave, accountability is what makes our league great. Lead by example. We are waiting.”

Personally, I don't think you will hear anything from the commissioner, and quite frankly he doesn't need to say anything.

If he does, I would hope it is something like this -- "to the fans of the new orleans saints, yes, there was a missed call at the end of your playoff game, bummer. If your defense had stepped up and stopped the Rams on the ensuing drive, you would have won. If your head coach had run the ball on 3rd and 6, more time would have come off the clock and the Rams wouldn't have had time to kick the tying FG. You won the toss in OT, if you did what the Patriots did and went down and scored a TD, you would have won the game. If your offensive line had blocked in the OT, Brees wouldn't have been on his back throwing up a floater. So please, quit whining about a single call and realize you had several opportunities to close out the game and as a team, you failed" oh, and this.."please don't forget about all the blatant calls that were missed that would have benefited the Rams throughout the game, it goes both ways".

Don't always look for a scapegoat outside your own organization. Take some responsibility and own your mistakes.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Personally, I don't think you will hear anything from the commissioner, and quite frankly he doesn't need to say anything.

If he does, I would hope it is something like this -- "to the fans of the new orleans saints, yes, there was a missed call at the end of your playoff game, bummer. If your defense had stepped up and stopped the Rams on the ensuing drive, you would have won. If your head coach had run the ball on 3rd and 6, more time would have come off the clock and the Rams wouldn't have had time to kick the tying FG. You won the toss in OT, if you did what the Patriots did and went down and scored a TD, you would have won the game. If your offensive line had blocked in the OT, Brees wouldn't have been on his back throwing up a floater. So please, quit whining about a single call and realize you had several opportunities to close out the game and as a team, you failed" oh, and this.."please don't forget about all the blatant calls that were missed that would have benefited the Rams throughout the game, it goes both ways".

Don't always look for a scapegoat outside your own organization. Take some responsibility and own your mistakes.

I disagree. The League has, in a way, spoken to the egregious play by fining the Rams DB. Yet they (read Goodell) fails to address this missed call? Yes, I'm sure there were other instances in the game where calls were missed, but this was a glaring missed call, on a dangerous play that posed physical risk to the receiver, at a critical time. there is no excuse for it. And Goodell, as the "head" of the League, should have addressed it publicly. In fact, I understand he did address it with the Saints' hierarchy privately, so why not make some statement publicly?