• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

The Bench 2019 Sports Talk Thread

Boots

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Djokovic/Nadal final at the Australian Open. Should be good. Any other tennis fans?

Yup. Been watching. Painful to see Serena let it slip away. would have been nice to see a re-match between Williams and Osaka.
Men's final should be great.
Boots

Rabs

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Yup. Been watching. Painful to see Serena let it slip away. would have been nice to see a re-match between Williams and Osaka.
Men's final should be great.
Boots

Yeah shocked to see Serena lose after up 5-1 in the 3rd. Crazy.

Men's game hasn't changed in a decade. Federer/Nadal/Djokovic win everything! But they are so much better than all the rest.

Boots

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
European Figure Skating Championships this afternoon. Men's and Women's Free Skate.
I think these will be more interesting than the Pro Bowl!
Boots

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I disagree. The League has, in a way, spoken to the egregious play by fining the Rams DB. Yet they (read Goodell) fails to address this missed call? Yes, I'm sure there were other instances in the game where calls were missed, but this was a glaring missed call, on a dangerous play that posed physical risk to the receiver, at a critical time. there is no excuse for it. And Goodell, as the "head" of the League, should have addressed it publicly. In fact, I understand he did address it with the Saints' hierarchy privately, so why not make some statement publicly?

I am willing to wager heavily that in every single NFL game this year there was a missed call on a pass interference and/or targeting/head shot penalty. The officials miss them all the time. It just so happened that this one happened when it did.

I don't remember anyone asking for the baseball commissioner to make a statement after Jeffrey Maier CLEARLY interfered in a playoff game that cost the Orioles a chance at the world series.

Pro Bowl tomorrow! Best regards, David
Didn't watch a second of it. Didn't watch a second of the NHL all star game (didn't even know it was happening).

Warriors vs. Celtics! Best regards, David

Nice win by the Warriors - Boogie Cousins changes that teams dynamic in a hugely positive way. His presence inside is something that neither JaVale or Za Za ever gave them.

Djokovic/Nadal final at the Australian Open. Should be good. Any other tennis fans?

Nice to see Joker win - never been a Nadal guy. The womens final was much more competitive. loved that Ozaka got another major.

Boots

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
The fact that there were missed calls in other games justifies this? Ludicrous! Even so, those other games were not the Conference Championship Game, with the call coming in the final minutes.
And, apparently your memory fails you re: jeffrey Maier: the Orioles protested the game and the American League President upheld the umpire's call. So he did address the issue, not remain publicly silent as has Goodell.
I am willing to wager heavily that in every single NFL game this year there was a missed call on a pass interference and/or targeting/head shot penalty. The officials miss them all the time. It just so happened that this one happened when it did.

I don't remember anyone asking for the baseball commissioner to make a statement after Jeffrey Maier CLEARLY interfered in a playoff game that cost the Orioles a chance at the world series.

Didn't watch a second of it. Didn't watch a second of the NHL all star game (didn't even know it was happening).

Nice win by the Warriors - Boogie Cousins changes that teams dynamic in a hugely positive way. His presence inside is something that neither JaVale or Za Za ever gave them.

Nice to see Joker win - never been a Nadal guy. The womens final was much more competitive. loved that Ozaka got another major.

Last edited:

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The fact that there were missed calls in other games justifies this? Ludicrous! Even so, those other games were not the Conference Championship Game, with the call coming in the final minutes.
And, apparently your memory fails you re: jeffrey Maier: the Orioles protested the game and the American League President upheld the umpire's call. So he did address the issue, not remain publicly silent as has Goodell.

Mea culpa on not remembering the commish office reaction on the O's/Yanks incident. But it doesn't matter, nothing changes. So Godell holds a press conference and says, our refs screwed this one up, what does it change?? Nothing, the Rams are still in the Super Bowl, and Saints fans (and everyone who took the Saints -3.5) are still ticked off.

Again, this call was magnified because it was a stand alone game to go to the super bowl. Refs have been blowing calls all year. They completely blew a call in the Chiefs/Pats game that kept the final Pats drive alive with a made up hit to the QB's head, that replay clearly showed didn't happen.

I am also willing to bet that somewhere in the 17 week NFL season a call was blown that cost a team a game that may have put them in playoff contention. How often does it happen in baseball, a bad call in May costs a team a game, and then they miss the wild card by a game. Life happens, refs are human - until they put a couple of refs in a booth and let them view all angles of reply, mistakes will happen.

Just off the top of my head:
1 - US/USSR 1972 Olympic basketball gold medal game
2 - Buffalo/Tennessee football playoffs - Music City Miracle
3 - Bulls/Jazz NBA finals - Jordan clearly pushed off to clear himself for the game winner
4 - UNC/Gonzaga - NCAA championship game - kennedy meeks was clearly laying on the out of bounds line on a crucial possession
5 - Johan Santana got the Mets only no hitter in team history, although there was clearly a shot down the left field line that caught chalk and was called foul.

Now on to more positive stuff - Anthony Davis demands a trade out of New orleans. And he wants to go to the LA Lakers. After he fired his agent and signed with LeBrons' agency. And LeBron said it would be great to play with AD. But that isn't a big deal.. all on the up and up. I love the fact that everyone thinks a deal will get done by the trade deadline, despite the fact that the Pelicans have him under contract through next year. Why on earth would you trade a top 10 player for a pupu platter of nothing when you don't have to. If he becomes toxic - send him home. Not like he is carrying the team to home court advantage in the playoffs anyway. Go for the total tank - give yourself the best shot at another #1 pick and than deal him in the offseason, or better yet, deal him at the trade deadline next year after you have already basically locked up another tanking season and another high draft pick. Trust the Process - seems to have worked out pretty well for the Sixers.

Boots

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
With all due respect, I think you missed Watson's (and my) point. It is not about changing something. Nowhere in his statment does he ask Goodell to change the non-call. What he DOES ask for is that he step up and own (read address) it. I have no skin in this game. I could probaly not care less whether it is the Rams or the Saints. This is about accountability.
And the magnification because it wsa a stand alone game to get to the Super Bowl only adds to the reasons why Goodell should have addressed it!
As for the Brow, I thought I saw something last night on ESPN about the Clippers. Since I can't find anything more, I guess it was only speculation. Maybe trying to use some leverage? Unfortuante for the Pelicans franchise that what was once the hope of building blocks to a great team turns into an acrimonious situation, but that seems to be the course these days with the prima donna players trying (and in LBJ's case, succeeding) in calling the shots. Imagine if the Pels held firm with Brow, did tank and got, say Zion? or Reddish? Would Davis want to stay then? I agree they should not trade him for the "pupu platter" (love that phrase).
Boots
Mea culpa on not remembering the commish office reaction on the O's/Yanks incident. But it doesn't matter, nothing changes. So Godell holds a press conference and says, our refs screwed this one up, what does it change?? Nothing, the Rams are still in the Super Bowl, and Saints fans (and everyone who took the Saints -3.5) are still ticked off.

Again, this call was magnified because it was a stand alone game to go to the super bowl. Refs have been blowing calls all year. They completely blew a call in the Chiefs/Pats game that kept the final Pats drive alive with a made up hit to the QB's head, that replay clearly showed didn't happen.

I am also willing to bet that somewhere in the 17 week NFL season a call was blown that cost a team a game that may have put them in playoff contention. How often does it happen in baseball, a bad call in May costs a team a game, and then they miss the wild card by a game. Life happens, refs are human - until they put a couple of refs in a booth and let them view all angles of reply, mistakes will happen.

Just off the top of my head:
1 - US/USSR 1972 Olympic basketball gold medal game
2 - Buffalo/Tennessee football playoffs - Music City Miracle
3 - Bulls/Jazz NBA finals - Jordan clearly pushed off to clear himself for the game winner
4 - UNC/Gonzaga - NCAA championship game - kennedy meeks was clearly laying on the out of bounds line on a crucial possession
5 - Johan Santana got the Mets only no hitter in team history, although there was clearly a shot down the left field line that caught chalk and was called foul.

Now on to more positive stuff - Anthony Davis demands a trade out of New orleans. And he wants to go to the LA Lakers. After he fired his agent and signed with LeBrons' agency. And LeBron said it would be great to play with AD. But that isn't a big deal.. all on the up and up. I love the fact that everyone thinks a deal will get done by the trade deadline, despite the fact that the Pelicans have him under contract through next year. Why on earth would you trade a top 10 player for a pupu platter of nothing when you don't have to. If he becomes toxic - send him home. Not like he is carrying the team to home court advantage in the playoffs anyway. Go for the total tank - give yourself the best shot at another #1 pick and than deal him in the offseason, or better yet, deal him at the trade deadline next year after you have already basically locked up another tanking season and another high draft pick. Trust the Process - seems to have worked out pretty well for the Sixers.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
With all due respect, I think you missed Watson's (and my) point. It is not about changing something. Nowhere in his statment does he ask Goodell to change the non-call. What he DOES ask for is that he step up and own (read address) it. I have no skin in this game. I could probaly not care less whether it is the Rams or the Saints. This is about accountability.
And the magnification because it wsa a stand alone game to get to the Super Bowl only adds to the reasons why Goodell should have addressed it!
As for the Brow, I thought I saw something last night on ESPN about the Clippers. Since I can't find anything more, I guess it was only speculation. Maybe trying to use some leverage? Unfortuante for the Pelicans franchise that what was once the hope of building blocks to a great team turns into an acrimonious situation, but that seems to be the course these days with the prima donna players trying (and in LBJ's case, succeeding) in calling the shots. Imagine if the Pels held firm with Brow, did tank and got, say Zion? or Reddish? Would Davis want to stay then? I agree they should not trade him for the "pupu platter" (love that phrase).
Boots

This is why I love talking sports and being on The Bench. It is 100% clear that we will agree to disagree on the Saints issue, as I am just not sure what people would want him to say -- "Sorry the refs screwed up, just like they have been all year? Luckily you were one of only 32 teams affected by a bad call this year? I am going to fire the head of officials and we fire every official we had this year and start over next year?" I just see it as - it happened, it sucks that happened, but nothing you can do after the fact.

But than, in the very next sentence, very next topic - we are 100% in agreement! If I am the Pelicans, he isn't going anywhere. If the Lakers want him, they are sending me Kuzma, Ball, Ingram, the kid from Nova whose name escapes me right now and two first rounders. no reason at all to give him to the Lakers just so LeBron has a chance at getting more rings. I have heard, Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, Sixers, & Celtics. Still not sure how the NBA lets LeBron start an agency while he is still an active player, that just screams collusion.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)

You might remember a few weeks ago we were commenting on the lack of success in the NBA by the premier big men's teams like Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony-Towns. With this new trade request by A.D. FINALLY someone on sports talk radio remarked about him being a great talent but that talent strangely does not translate into wins or Playoff success or appearances. Doug Gottleib was one of the guys who mentioned that and one other guy whose name I can't recall. How guys with that much talent cannot win even a moderate amount is mystifying. Part of it is that even at 7"0" tall they negate their size advantage by playing at the 3 point line. It is nice that guys that big an shoot the 3 but their size becomes a non factor 25 fett from the basket.

I wonder how many times guys like Shaq, Duncan, Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon and the other elite big men of the last two decades missed the playoffs in years where they were healthy? Their number of times they missed the playoffs might add up to less than what Davis and Towns have in their short careers.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
You might remember a few weeks ago we were commenting on the lack of success in the NBA by the premier big men's teams like Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony-Towns. With this new trade request by A.D. FINALLY someone on sports talk radio remarked about him being a great talent but that talent strangely does not translate into wins or Playoff success or appearances. Doug Gottleib was one of the guys who mentioned that and one other guy whose name I can't recall. How guys with that much talent cannot win even a moderate amount is mystifying. Part of it is that even at 7"0" tall they negate their size advantage by playing at the 3 point line. It is nice that guys that big an shoot the 3 but their size becomes a non factor 25 fett from the basket.

I wonder how many times guys like Shaq, Duncan, Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon and the other elite big men of the last two decades missed the playoffs in years where they were healthy? Their number of times they missed the playoffs might add up to less than what Davis and Towns have in their short careers.

I do remember that conversation - and will add another name to the underachieve list - Kevin Garnett. When he was a T-Wolf, it was 1st round and done all the time. THe sixers were able to make it to the 2nd round last year on Embiid's back.

AD gets fined $50k for the trade comments, which is the max the league can fine before a player can file a grievance? Of course someone did the math and that $50k is about 6.5 minutes of playing time.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I do remember that conversation - and will add another name to the underachieve list - Kevin Garnett. When he was a T-Wolf, it was 1st round and done all the time. THe sixers were able to make it to the 2nd round last year on Embiid's back.

AD gets fined $50k for the trade comments, which is the max the league can fine before a player can file a grievance? Of course someone did the math and that $50k is about 6.5 minutes of playing time.

I'm with you on Garnett. For a short time he was considered the best player in the game but I never bought that. He at least made the playoffs unlike Towns and Davis . But he and Melo were the Kings of "one and Dones" when it came to the NBA Playoffs.

It looks like AD may be all done with the Pelicans........kind of like Kawai part II. This traend could be a killer for the NBA with the top players going to the glamour cities and the other cities pretty much being feeder systems for the big market glamour teams,

You'll get a kick out of the following excerpt from the LA Times talking about where "The master of the chest Pass" wants to land if traded.

Although Lonzo Ball has no say in where he lands in a trade, his preference would be for the Lakers to find a third team such as Chicago or New York as a landing spot for the second-year point guard if he were part of a deal for New Orleans Pelicans star Anthony Davis, according to sources not authorized to speak publicly.

Apparently his brand of snappy chest passes and brick laying only sells in big markets. I'd love to see him end up with one of those two garbage teams and everyone would see just how "special" his game is.

Boots

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Well, the Knicks move QUICKLY and trade The Unicorn! As my late Father-In-Law would say: W-O-W!!!
It would make imminent sense for the Knicks to (somehow) get the Chest Pass Master: they are both incompetent and want the spotlight.
For us Knicks' fans,we can only pray for the day that Dolan and his regime are excised from this franchise.
this is a far cry from my Knicks of Red Holzman!
Boots

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Well, the Knicks move QUICKLY and trade The Unicorn! As my late Father-In-Law would say: W-O-W!!!
It would make imminent sense for the Knicks to (somehow) get the Chest Pass Master: they are both incompetent and want the spotlight.
For us Knicks' fans,we can only pray for the day that Dolan and his regime are excised from this franchise.
Boots

That trade was announced just as I hit "Post" on my previous post!

It looks like the Knicks acquired a pretty highly regarded point guard so I think that means the master of the chest pass will have to go to Chi-town where his father is sure to declare he was better than MJ.........just like his father was! LMAO!!!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I'm with you on Garnett. For a short time he was considered the best player in the game but I never bought that. He at least made the playoffs unlike Towns and Davis . But he and Melo were the Kings of "one and Dones" when it came to the NBA Playoffs.

It looks like AD may be all done with the Pelicans........kind of like Kawai part II. This traend could be a killer for the NBA with the top players going to the glamour cities and the other cities pretty much being feeder systems for the big market glamour teams,

I never once bought into Melo as a great player. Still not sure how everyone talks about him as a sure fire HOF'r, maybe college HOF, but not the NBA. If he is in, might as well add Mitch Richmond and every other scorer out there...

I would honestly laugh and laugh if the Pelicans just looked at AD and said go home - we will call you next year around this time to let you know where you can get a plane ticket to. Enjoy your time off and enjoy your time in LA with LeBron, since he will be another year older and they had to give up all the supporting cast to get you....

Boots

i am not sure I understand this trade at all from the Mavs perspective??? Smith and two #1's for Porzingis (who may or may not be an injury risk)? I am assuming that the Knicks are acquiring assets to move for AD?? Two or three #1's, Kevin Knox and Kanter's expiring deal?? Is that better than Kyrie and two #1's or Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and a #1?