The Bench - Auction - Kicks off at 3pm Thanksgiving Day

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Want to gage interest in a thought that is a bit off the wall. I had a brief discussion about it when @Shaggy assumed command of The Bench mothership.

The thought was - what if we used the chat room to run an auction style event. A member would put a card up for sale (auction) - winning bid takes it home. I take a walk every morning and it gives me 30-40 minutes of uncluttered thinking time, so I have been using the past couple weeks to try and work on the details that would make this successful.

Here is what I came up with:
1 - do it on Thanksgiving when a lot of people will be home or chilling in settings that they aren't overwhelmed in
2 - do it on a small test run type basis
3 - keep each auction to 1 hour and run them back to back, not concurrently, so no bid mixups occur

What is the "detailed" plan?
We would use this thread to have members sign up for a time slot of one hour to list their card and their shipping cost and starting bid. They would post a picture of the card (front & back) in the chat room at the start of their designated time slot. At the end of the hour, the high bid wins and next person that is signed up list their card. I will have to test it, but I believe that I can create a chat room within the main chat room specifically for something like this.

I would think that if we could get 6 members to want to do this tomorrow, we could do 10-4 or 11-5 as our 6 time slots. If it is a hit, it could become a monthly thing like the trade night.

Please respond in this thread if you would be interested. Or if you have any questions.

Current Auction Schedule:
3pm - steelers8873
4pm - newguy338
5pm - mechjo16
6pm - kclj520
7pm - kirbyfan34
8 pm - trishlp

Last edited:

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Yeah I remember being apart of the discussion concerning this in the chat

I'm all for it

Sounds good. I couldn't remember who else was involved in early discussion. I just know it has been on my mind the past couple weeks. I think it would be a great way to get the membership a bit more involved outside of just the occasional trade discussion.

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
Open bidding on the auction...does not sound good to me for the short time for the auction....would be better if it had a Buy it now or best offer. Just my 2 cent worth. Best regards, David

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Open bidding on the auction...does not sound good to me for the short time for the auction....would be better if it had a Buy it now or best offer. Just my 2 cent worth. Best regards, David

Those are reasonable points and something to be considered for the future if this works out positively. My recommendation would be to go with a $5-$10 card that you don't mind selling for a couple bucks. I wouldn't put anything to high value up in the initial test run. I would definitely feel a bit bummed if someone put a really nice auto or #'d card up and it went for a buck because the audience wasn't there yet.

Hopefully throughout the day and evening today, people will post their interest and final details can be worked out and ready to go for tomorrow, along with a schedule for 6 cards to go up.

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Would it be better to do later in the evening? I know I have to cook dishes to take to my Aunt's to be there at 1pm EST so the time frames you mentioned wouldn't be practical for me an possibly for others. Maybe if it went 3-9pm EST and we also would have to think about the Benchies on PST starting at 10am EST would be 7am PST. If we had the later times I would sign up for 8pm as I would be home by then. JMO

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Would it be better to do later in the evening? I know I have to cook dishes to take to my Aunt's to be there at 1pm EST so the time frames you mentioned wouldn't be practical for me an possibly for others. Maybe if it went 3-9pm EST and we also would have to think about the Benchies on PST starting at 10am EST would be 7am PST. If we had the later times I would sign up for 8pm as I would be home by then. JMO

Completely reasonable suggestion. Can certainly make it any timeframe necessary to get the most participation. I know everyone will be eating at different times and that tryptophan will kick in throughout the day.

Steelers8873

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I like the idea but I am a bit skeptical of the results. Being a member over the last few years I have noticed that comparing eBay sales and bench sells are night and day and I'm not saying this to be disrespectful but the bottom line is people on the Bench don't pay like people on ebay. I can't count the amount of times I've heard people say "I won't pay eBay prices!" Not exactly sure what that means but it's not just this forum it's all of them I'm not sure where the sense of entitlement comes in at I mean we all pay the same rediculous prices for boxes and cards whether we belong to trading forums or not atleast people on ebay will pay you what your card is worth I mean I don't have money to burn so when I sell a card I expect a fair and decent return you seldom will get that on a trading site. Just my opinion nobody has to share it or agree with it.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I like the idea but I am a bit skeptical of the results. Being a member over the last few years I have noticed that comparing eBay sales and bench sells are night and day and I'm not saying this to be disrespectful but the bottom line is people on the Bench don't pay like people on ebay. I can't count the amount of times I've heard people say "I won't pay eBay prices!" Not exactly sure what that means but it's not just this forum it's all of them I'm not sure where the sense of entitlement comes in at I mean we all pay the same rediculous prices for boxes and cards whether we belong to trading forums or not atleast people on ebay will pay you what your card is worth I mean I don't have money to burn so when I sell a card I expect a fair and decent return you seldom will get that on a trading site. Just my opinion nobody has to share it or agree with it.

That is a reasonable concern. My personal opinion would be, that if you don't want to take that risk in this setting, than you don't have to participate. My take would be the opposite though - there is a chance that a card on here would stay a little below value and maybe I could grab something for my PC at a price a bit below I would have to pay on the "open market". Which is also why I would recommend to any of the potential 6 sellers, that they don't put up anything they aren't afraid to not make book on. If I put up a $7 card and only get $2.50 for it, I am not going to worry about it. If I put up a $50 card and only get $11 for it, I would definitely be a bit upset.

That is why we will use tomorrow as a test run and see how things go in terms of participation, attendance and enthusiasm. This isn't my site, but it is like a 2nd home to me and I am willing to roll the dice a bit in hopes of keeping it fresh and coming up with new ideas to keep the membership active and involved.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I will help test it out, I have a couple of customs I could list, if that works, @katester44 ?

In my eyes, that would be fine by me. I am hopeful that once everyone settles in this evening, they will have a chance to take a look at this and decide if they want to be a buyer, a seller, or a supporter. I would be happy with any of the 3. I am planning on putting the first card up myself and being the test dummy so to speak. But if we get 6 other members who want to participate, I will gladly give up my chance at a slot.

I appreciate the interest from folks so far, it is never easy to mess with the status quo, and I say that as one who hates to mess with the status quo. In my eyes though, after much thought, seems like an opportunity to add another new twist to The Bench and continue our upward ascent after the re-tooling and re-branding.

I am thinking around 9pm or so, I will add a post here to allow folks to sign up for a selling slot.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
In my eyes, that would be fine by me. I am hopeful that once everyone settles in this evening, they will have a chance to take a look at this and decide if they want to be a buyer, a seller, or a supporter. I would be happy with any of the 3. I am planning on putting the first card up myself and being the test dummy so to speak. But if we get 6 other members who want to participate, I will gladly give up my chance at a slot.

I appreciate the interest from folks so far, it is never easy to mess with the status quo, and I say that as one who hates to mess with the status quo. In my eyes though, after much thought, seems like an opportunity to add another new twist to The Bench and continue our upward ascent after the re-tooling and re-branding.

I am thinking around 9pm or so, I will add a post here to allow folks to sign up for a selling slot.
I think that is a great idea! I'm in!

Blessings,

Kevin

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
So far it seems like we have some interest in doing this tomorrow. Still hopeful that lots of people are taking a look at this thread and will visit the chat room tomorrow.

Will agree with Trish's suggestion about starting a bit later than originally thought about. so let's plan on it running from a 3pm slot to an 8pm slot (which will be Trish's if she wants it). I was planning on taking the 2pm slot, but as mentioned, if enough folks are interested, I will give up my slot.

So that would give us:
3pm - katester44 (will step out if necessary)
4pm - open
5pm - open
6pm - open
7pm - kirbyfan34
8 pm - trishlp

Once we finalize who will be selling, we can start posting pics of the cards for sale and trying to pump up interest for the event

Last edited:

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I would be willing to participate as a seller. Could take the 7pm spot. Great idea!
Sounds good - 7pm is yours. I will update that and add it to the original post.

I was able to create a chat room specifically for the auction -- The Bench Auction House. It should be accessible just like the regular Bench chat. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is post pictures directly in the chat if @Mike121 is around, could use a tutorial. I know it is possible, but can't remember if it has to be a link or if it can be a regular uploaded image.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The 4pm slot has been filled - newguy338 has added the following card to go up for auction - starting bid will be $1.

sandberg front.jpgsandberg front 2.jpgsandberg back.jpg

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Andy,
I went to the chat room and at the bottom is an insert image button just like in the threads here, is that how we would insert pictures?
Thanks,
Trish