The Bench - Auction - Kicks off at 3pm Thanksgiving Day

mechjo16

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Next up 2021 Topps Chrome Aaron Judge

$1 start . 25 increments. $1.25 shipping PWE

Thank you and happy Thanksgiving!

3CFBF9B1-8442-4C3E-B460-7452489523B2.jpeg514EC20F-C56C-4EFA-8497-32E4E56ECA74.jpeg

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Hey everyone I apologize for missing the auction. I think it's a great idea, but as we were hosting festivities today I completely forgot to list my card. My apologies.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Hey everyone I apologize for missing the auction. I think it's a great idea, but as we were hosting festivities today I completely forgot to list my card. My apologies.

No problem - it happens. Was able to substitute my original card in and fill the gap.

Wanted to say thank you to everyone who put a card up for bid and for everyone who stopped by to take part in the event. I know there were definitely some hiccups that will need to get ironed out, but if this is something that interests the members, we can work on making it better and running something like this on as regular a basis as anyone would like.

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I think it went pretty well, like you said there were some hiccups that we need to address but I think if we should try it again. some suggestions I have are
-Maybe instead of six 1 hour auctions we do twelve 30 minute auctions. the hour seemed to drag along for me
-Maybe have a banner like the trade night banner counting down to the next auction day so more people can be aware
-Have a thread were people sign up for the auction and post pictures along with the starting bid amount, shipping and incremental bid amount to help peak interest
-Have a minimum card value, it seems if a card is $1.50 - $3 and your opening bid is $1 and shipping is $1.25 that you are not going to get a lot of interest in that card so it could be a waste of an auction slot.
-after a while we could not see who won the 1st few cards because the chat room messages only went so far back so we would need some one to post the winners and amounts in the thread as well. I think this would help draw interest for sellers to see that the system is working and $$ is being made.
Thank you Andy for thinking this up and seeing it through.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I think it went pretty well, like you said there were some hiccups that we need to address but I think if we should try it again. some suggestions I have are
-Maybe instead of six 1 hour auctions we do twelve 30 minute auctions. the hour seemed to drag along for me
-Maybe have a banner like the trade night banner counting down to the next auction day so more people can be aware
-Have a thread were people sign up for the auction and post pictures along with the starting bid amount, shipping and incremental bid amount to help peak interest
-Have a minimum card value, it seems if a card is $1.50 - $3 and your opening bid is $1 and shipping is $1.25 that you are not going to get a lot of interest in that card so it could be a waste of an auction slot.
-after a while we could not see who won the 1st few cards because the chat room messages only went so far back so we would need some one to post the winners and amounts in the thread as well. I think this would help draw interest for sellers to see that the system is working and $$ is being made.
Thank you Andy for thinking this up and seeing it through.

I think all of these thoughts are extremely reasonable. Was definitely winging it a bit yesterday based on short time between initiation and execution.

Completely open to how often we should try and have these, etc. We have a chat room now fully dedicated to Auctions, do we want to do pop up style, where if someone wants to auction a card off, they post it in the chat room, and than create an auction thread to let people know a card is up for sale, or going up for sale? Lots of potential opportunities that we are opening up by starting this up.

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Personally I think we should stick with Auction days and not have people doing random auctions because you might have more than 1 person trying to do an auction at the same time.
A light bulb did just go off though we could have people reserve a day or part of a day to do auctions. Say we have a sign up thread and I decide that next Friday night I want to reserve the auction chat room for 3 hours and I could do as many auctions as I want during that time. I would be the sole auctioneer, I would post a thread about what I am going to be auctioning along with times. No one else could have any auctions during the time that I have the room reserved. We could also have random auction days, with advanced notice though, for the bench community. JMO

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Personally I think we should stick with Auction days and not have people doing random auctions because you might have more than 1 person trying to do an auction at the same time.
A light bulb did just go off though we could have people reserve a day or part of a day to do auctions. Say we have a sign up thread and I decide that next Friday night I want to reserve the auction chat room for 3 hours and I could do as many auctions as I want during that time. I would be the sole auctioneer, I would post a thread about what I am going to be auctioning along with times. No one else could have any auctions during the time that I have the room reserved. We could also have random auction days, with advanced notice though, for the bench community. JMO

I do like the reserving the auction room for a period of time, that could be very popular.

newguy338

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
also I suggest having the auction price include shipping, to avoid confusion. so if a winning bid if $5, that's all you pay. and < $10 PWE and > $10 BMWT

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
newguy338- SInce the auctions are not being ran by the bench I think that is hard to dictate. In all the auctions we did yesterday everyone made it clear that shipping was additional and what the cost was. I think as long as the bench has rules that the auctioneer must disclose this at the start then it should be fine. also if I bid on an auto or gu's and win it for less than $10 I would still expect it to be in a bubble mailer.

mechjo16

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I see both sides of the shipping debate. Here’s my 2 cents. You need to know your product and account for shipping accordingly and have it posted.

Thick GU are not going to ship in a PWE rather it sells for $1 or $20, it needs to be Bubble mailer.

Regarding any auto needs to be BM, Although the option should be there if the buyer should choose upgraded shipping as was stated in this event. I only say this because if I won a auto card and the BV is $6, I’m not looking to pay $4+ for shipping.

Again when getting into higher BV cards shipping options should be offered as a standard.

As a side note I haven’t been able to ship a card across state lines for under $4 since the latest postage increase.

dragonslayer913

Legend
5.00 star(s)
I had to miss this because the internet service went down in my area for a few hours

Is there any chance another one will happen in the near future ?