The Dog Days.... (2019 MLB Thread)

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The Phillies season in a nutshell.....Stake your starter to a 7 run lead and end up losing 19-11..TO THE MARLINS!!!!!! Velazquez/Pivetta/Eflin all need to go. As does Kapler.

Dig the black and white players weekend unis - my only suggestion would be for the white home unis, use one of the team colors for the names on the back, so they can be seen a bit easier.

AL Central/NL Central and both WC slots in both leagues are going to be a fun follow for the rest of the year!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Hmmm..groundhog day...phillies stake Nola to a 2 run lead, and he gives up 3 in the bottom of the same inning. This team is borderline unwatchable at this point..until Kapler goes, they don't have a shot.

The Tribe losing Ramirez to a broken wrist is a huge blow. He was ice cold to start the season, but was hot as could be over the last month or so.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Judge is the 3rd fastest to 100 HR's in terms of games played - he seems to be heating up a bit as we enter the stretch run.

And than there are the Phillies -- Sean Rodriguez walks one off and than says in post game interview the fans shouldn't be booing him...umm, you were 1-20 before that HR, with 11 strikeouts, pretty sure they can boo you. And Rhys, way to drop the relay throw on the double play and let the winning run score - you are having a stellar year. And to Gabe Kapler who had a tie score and runners and 1st/2nd with no outs and chose not to bunt them over and instead ended up having a double play turned against you because your base runner forgot the basic principal of not straying off the bag on a line drive. Just an absolute trainwreck of a team that can't handle the basics. Not to mention losing 2 of 3 to the Marlins - how does that happen when you are in a playoff race...ARGGGHHHH!!!!

Other than that, enjoying the season very much thank you!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Twins still holding 1st by 3.5 games.....held off the first challenge by the Indians.....

It has been fun watching the Twins this year - something tells me that the Tribe has at least one more run in them before the season is out. Twins have an easier schedule (by opponent winning %) than the Tribe to finish out the season. AL wild card is pretty much down to Tribe/A's/Rays - lots of fun left for lots of fans.

Forgot to mention Pete Alonso setting the Mets team record for HR's as a rookie...first player to do that for any team.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The Phillies bullpen blows another one - after Nola pitches a gem through 6 innings....

I know I will get his name wrong, but Aritesmes Aquino - Cincinnati Reds - knocks Cody Bellinger out of the record books by hitting the most home runs in a calendar month by a rookie, as he got his 14th two nights ago in Miami.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Verlander tosses his 3rd no-no! Joins a select few who have thrown that many. I haven't heard or seen the list - only name off the top of my head that I could come up with is Nolan Ryan.

The NL Central is beating each other up - they may knock one or both of their wild card contenders out of the hunt if they keep it up. Phillies lose 2 of 3 to the Mets, and tried to get swept, but even Kaplers ineptitude couldn't allow that to happen. If there is a worse game manager than Kapler in professional sports, I would love to hear about it!!!

AL wild card still looks undecided with the Rays/Indians/A's fighting it out. The Twins seem to be in the drivers seat in the AL Central, and at worst a wild card slot.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Looks like the Twins have beaten the dog days of summer.....up by 6.5 games...with 24 to go! Best road record with 47 wins and record HR total on the road. Best regards, David

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Twins up by 6.5 games and only 22 games lefted.......Head to head match with Indians starts tomorrow....Best regards, David

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Twins up by 6.5 games and only 22 games lefted.......Head to head match with Indians starts tomorrow....Best regards, David

The Tribe take game 1 of the series in extra innings....

The Phillies once again manage to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. I am so happy there are only 20+ games left in their season - they have passed train wreck into dumpster fire territory. Kapler figured out a way to blow a double switch on Thursday by pulling a pitcher and a positional player and not swapping them in the batting order, so the pitcher was still due to lead off the next inning. The incompetence is SHOCKING!!!

AL Wild card is still up for grabs. NL wild card is still up for grabs. Feel like all but the NL Central is pretty much decided at this point, minus a complete and epic collapse by someone.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The Cubs and D-Backs are trying to keep the faltering Phillies in the WC hunt.... Next series is the Braves, why do I feel a sweep coming (and not for the good guys) that will get Philly solely focused on the Eagles!

In the AL, the Tribe has fallen out a WC spot, as the Rays and A's just keep on winning.

Cards starting to pull away in the NL Central......

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
about 18 games lefted and Twins up by 5.5 games! Best regards, David

Big weekend series coming up against the Tribe!!!

Shohei out with knee surgery for the rest of the year. Yelich out for the rest of the year after fracturing his knee cap on a foul ball. Feels like MVP in the NL is right there for Bellinger.

Cardinals may be in the drivers seat for the NL Central. Phillies have 4 teams to jump over to get that last NL wild card slot - Mets/Cubs/DBacks/Brewers - this is why they signed you Bryce, get it done!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Twins beat Indians twice in double header in Cleveland! Up 5.5 games with about 13 lefted in the season......Twins have a great road record! Best regards, David

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Crazy! 5 Teams in reach of winning 100 games! Twins have the best road record....50 wins and 24..... Dodgers, Yankees, Braves, Twins, Astros....Best regards, David

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Twins beat Indians twice in double header in Cleveland! Up 5.5 games with about 13 lefted in the season......Twins have a great road record! Best regards, David

That double header sweep may have locked up the AL Central for the Twins, but may have also bounced the Tribe out of the wild card hunt. The A's and Rays just don't want to lose. Should be a great last couple weeks of the season.

Unless you are a Phillies fan...than it will just stink like it has for the past 8 years....The fact that they didn't sign Kuechel and felt Pivetta/Velasquez/Eflin were enough to carry the team to the playoffs, is all you need to know about the leadership of that team...