The Dog Days.... (2019 MLB Thread)

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Give it a rest....Mr. Negative. Best regards, David

I think you may have mis-interpreted my comments.....They are positive - not negative, I am actually excited that the Twins won the central and are back in the playoffs. It just stinks that they have to go against the Yankees who have had pretty good success against them in past playoff matchups. Definitely not trying to rain on the Twins parade.

Yup - the Phils have finished the year strong. 6 game losing streak. And now they have to go play the toughest team in the NL East, at least to them - the Marlins. After this absolute collapse, they need to dump Kapler, find some position players with a pulse and get at least one true starting pitcher to help Nola out. Today is the first day of the season that they have dipped under .500.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Twins become the first team to hit 300 home runs in a season. Seems fitting in 1988 they became the first American League team to draw 3 million fans so...

Also will need to do my annual playoff simulation now that the playoff teams are set for the most part. The one I just finished with was based on standings as of Sept 20th. Had the Twins getting swept in the WS by the Cubs.
Just have to see if the Brewers can overtake the Cardinals and get the exact match ups and settle in for a MLB the Show Marathon!

Last edited:

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Twins become the first team to hit 300 home runs in a season. Seems fitting in 1988 they became the first American League team to draw 3 million fans so...

Also will need to do my annual playoff simulation now that the playoff teams are set for the most part. The one I just finished with was based on standings as of Sept 20th. Had the Twins getting swept in the WS by the Cubs.
Just have to see if the Brewers can overtake the Cardinals and get the exact match ups and settle in for a MLB the Show Marathon!

And Nelson Cruz got his 40th for the season & 400th for his career at the same time.

Working off of your theme of 3's -- I could be wrong (and I am frequently) - wasn't Kirby Puckett the first player to get a $3 Million contract?

Two days left in the season and the NL Central still isn't settled. We have our 10 playoff teams, we just don't know who will be playing who to start it out...or where. Great to see so many games still mattering.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
And Nelson Cruz got his 40th for the season & 400th for his career at the same time.

Working off of your theme of 3's -- I could be wrong (and I am frequently) - wasn't Kirby Puckett the first player to get a $3 Million contract?

Two days left in the season and the NL Central still isn't settled. We have our 10 playoff teams, we just don't know who will be playing who to start it out...or where. Great to see so many games still mattering.

yes i believe he was. And for about 25 minutes he was the highest paid player in the game. And when Jose Canseco passed him someone asked if he was upset and his response was classic Kirby.
"Why should I be upset? I get paid a lot of money to play a game and do what I've always wanted to do. What have I got to be upset about"

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Ned Yost & Bruce Bochy retire. Joe Maddon fired. Feel like I am missing one other manager that has been let go??? Unfortunately, still not Kapler with the Phillies.

And say goodbye to another amazing voice of a franchise - Marty Brennaman from the Cincinnati Reds has retired. Multiple generations of Reds fans have him as their voice of record. I know how I felt when Harry Kalas of the Phillies passed away - that was basically the voice of my childhood. Vin Scully from the Dodgers has stepped away. The name of the announcer in Detroit stepped away in the past couple years (forgive me for not remembering his name Tigers fans).

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Ausmus out with the Angels. And missed that Hurdle had been let go by the Pirates.

And yet...Kapler still has a job....

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Gabe Kapler still has a job.....Already not liking the Phillies playoff chances for 2020.

Cut him loose and than back up the Brinks truck for Gerritt Cole..and a slightly smaller Brinks truck for Strasburg....and several other Brinks trucks to get their bullpen fixed up.

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
It's bewildering how the Phillies, with the big names they have, didn't do better than 4th place in their division. I remember when I heard they signed Harper that it was a walk in the park for them....

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
It's bewildering how the Phillies, with the big names they have, didn't do better than 4th place in their division. I remember when I heard they signed Harper that it was a walk in the park for them....

You mean other than not being able to pitch, hit or field??? The team was a trainwreck that managed to stay relevant through late August.....

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Finally, the Phillies cut Gabe Kapler loose! Good luck wherever you end up, just happy it will no longer be in Philadelphia. I will give him credit though, he didn't just quit and skulk away like Ryne Sandberg did!