The YSL Set - ADDITIONAL CARDS NEEDED - SET NOT COMPLETE

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I know we have about 143 different YSL threads floating around here, but based on the current update, felt this one was worthy of a brand new thread.

As we know, the last 2 cards were found and are now in my possession along with the rest of the set. Before I get to the reason for this new post -- huge thank you to all that contributed cards to this set -- I believe David K. & LEONOFNJ were the leaders in that regard. And a huge thank you to Meliah for being the caretaker of this set for the longest time.

We are now in the homestretch and need to put this to bed. With that said, it is official, The Bench 2008 Yankee Stadium Legacy set is going to auction. I will be delivering the cards to Robert Edwards Auctions in New Jersey on Thursday the 17th. They will be added to the catalog of their next sports auction that will take place April 2nd - April 18th.

That means we need to hype this thing by all means necessary. I will get this info added to our charity page on The V Foundation site. I have reached out to our contact at Upper Deck for their help. If anyone has a connection with the Yankees, let them know. I don't do Twitter, but if someone does, seems like a good time to use it!! Push it out via Facebook. Whatever it takes! As I get more information from the auction house, I will update this thread.

ysl front1.jpg

CARDS STILL NEEDED FOR THE YSL SET:
3663 Bobby Murcer
4312 Reggie Jackson
5683 Joe Torre
5953 Derek Jeter

Last edited:

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
The light at the end of the tunnel is now very much visible. Nice! I look forward to seeing how it does. A good news story at the right time would be huge. Any media contacts anyone might have out there that could run a feel good story in print and/or electronically close to the auction start would be big, especially if it were to somehow go a little viral.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The light at the end of the tunnel is now very much visible. Nice! I look forward to seeing how it does. A good news story at the right time would be huge. Any media contacts anyone might have out there that could run a feel good story in print and/or electronically close to the auction start would be big, especially if it were to somehow go a little viral.

I feel like there are a couple of writers/journalists among us here. Their names are just not popping into my head right now - thought one was down in the Tampa/St. Pete area??

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I'm thinking that we post to all the collecting sites as well as the ones that you mentioned. There must be some Yankee fan websites out there as well. A letter to Yankee players and past stars would be nice. It would be nice to have a flier available with the information to be shared or printed. . Then we could do a mass mailing by either stamp or electronically a few days before the auction is accessible.

I guess the link to the auction won't be available until a future date. Is that correct? This is just a suggestion, but I'm thinking that the heaviest exposure wouldn't take place until there is a link to the auction. For now a save the date might be done. I think the filer is key.

With that said, maybe the auction house would do the flier. I see they sold a set of YSL in 2018 for $3,900.

Robert Edward Auctions - The Premiere Sports Auction House

Last edited:

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I'm thinking that we post to all the collecting sites as well as the ones that you mentioned. There must be some Yankee fan websites out there as well. A letter to Yankee players and past stars would be nice. It would be nice to have a flier available with the information to be shared or printed. . Then we could do a mass mailing by either stamp or electronically a few days before the auction is accessible.

I guess the link to the auction won't be available until a future date. Is that correct? This is just a suggestion, but I'm thinking that the heaviest exposure wouldn't take place until there is a link to the auction. For now a save the date might be done. I think the filer is key.

With that said, maybe the auction house would do the flier. I see they sold a set of YSL in 2018 for $3,900.

Robert Edward Auctions - The Premiere Sports Auction House

In talking to them - they weren't 100% sure it was a full set that they sold. They would only confirm that it was a 6,500+ card set. It may not have been complete.

And of course, being that 2020 is being so temperamental - we are supposed to get upwards of 8 inches of snow here overnight Wednesday. May have to postpone the delivery, or try to beat the storm and get up there earlier this week.

LEONOFNJ

MVP
5.00 star(s)
That is great news. I don't think the set that was sold was a complete set . There is over 6700 cards
In the complete set.
I feel like there are a couple of writers/journalists among us here. Their names are just not popping into my head right now - thought one was down in the Tampa/St. Pete area??

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
That is great news. I don't think the set that was sold was a complete set . There is over 6700 cards
In the complete set.
That was my takeaway as well while talking with them -- the last one they sold was only a partial set.

Due to weather -- delivery of the set is now to take place on the 28th. And as mentioned above, once the auction catalogue is set and we have a link, etc. I will get that out to everyone so they can push it out to as many as possible.

I have not heard back from Chris @ Upper Deck - hopefully that will happen soon.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I will take care of informing Yankee Public Relations, hoping they would do a mass email to players past and present. I will also reach out to the top 5 Yankee players who are still living. That would be Mattingly, Arod, Judge, and a few others that had cards in the set. I will be doing so by written letter using the autograph database. for addresses. Open to further suggestion on how to contact this group or who should be in it. Andy, please let me know if I'm in conflict with any of your plans. And please verify again, the set has 6742 cards. Beckett does not provide a value for the set.

Last edited:

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I will take care of informing Yankee Public Relations, hoping they would do a mass email to players past and present. I will also reach out to the top 5 Yankee players who are still living. That would be Mattingly, Arod, Judge, and a few others that had cards in the set. I will be doing so by written letter using the autograph database. for addresses. Open to further suggestion on how to contact this group or who should be in it. Andy, please let me know if I'm in conflict with any of your plans. And please verify again, the set has 6742 cards. Beckett does not provide a value for the set.

That sound good to me. I know Phil Hughes is a member over at Blowout - I will reach out to him and see if he can give us any pub.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
You may have luck via Twitter or other social media too, I bet Judge would be online frequently!

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Bob D'Angelo is a sports writer and is/was a member here. I have seen his columns online in a few places. His Bench ID escapes me at the moment though.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Bob D'Angelo is a sports writer and is/was a member here. I have seen his columns online in a few places. His Bench ID escapes me at the moment though.

That is the name I was trying to think of. I can't remember his username though, either?? I thought it was bdangelo, but that didn't come up in any searches. Or possibly Chief Wahoo, but again, no luck with searches.

In any case - I clicked on the link mrmopar provided above, and shot him an email. Will see what happens.

Last edited:

greatdadx2

HOF
5.00 star(s)
That is the name I was trying to think of. I can't remember his username though, either?? I thought it was bdangelo, but that didn't come up in any searches. Or possibly Chief Wahoo, but again, no luck with searches.

In any case - I clicked on the link mrmopar provided above, and shot him an email. Will see what happens.
Looks like he is active on Twitter as well:
@BobDAngelo1

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Reading these responses, was it Bob Costas who kept the 58 Mantle All Star card in his wallet as a teen? I will look to see if there was a way to connect with him at MLB Network and see if maybe Matt Vasgersian and Harold Reynolds can mention it on the off season morning show on MLB Network also.