Theft of Vintage Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotorob

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Theft and fraud have been two major problems for the sports card industry. Theft has always been a MAJOR concern of mine. THis theft takes the cake though.

It looks like the dealer should have taken more precautions though.. It looks like he has a bunch of kids ( he refers to them as "boys")as help and security, You need to hire men and not just "jags" but guys who you don't want to "mess" with. With that kind of value at stake you need to spend a good amount for security.

Hopefully they catch these scumbags. If I were to guess all those graded cards are now raw copies.............at least that is what I would do if I were trying not to get caught.

Not sure if the same guy but someone got caught trying to sell 50k worth of stolen sports collectibles. I don't have quite that much invested but I've taken precautions...

Plus Hobby Store are being robbed by individuals who break-in at night. A few years ago....they had thousands of dollars worth of cards stolen. They caught the persons and got most of the cards back. Last year a dealer traveling between shows and he had his cards and money in his car. He stopped at one local hobby stores and came out to find his car was broken into and thousands of dollars worth of cards were taken......Lucky for him...it was only the cards as he had lots of money in his car!!! Best regards, David

The hobby is booming... just like anything else to sell, it comes with theft. Why u think Hondas are the most stolen cars? Easy to resell the parts... everyone wants cards and mem right now so u gotta watch out for shady characters. It goes the other way too... someone got caught trying to bring in fake Wemba Prizm RCs from Europe a little while ago. Don't bother trying to make fake bills. Just make fake RCs!!

Just happened in Illinois at a show last week. Couple vendors got hit, loose cards out on tables and the only way to combat this stealing issue is display cases....you want, you ask. Boom done.

My brother actually bought a 1955 Bowman Campanella from the victim of this crime 3 or 4 years ago. He sets up in some regional card shows in Michigan and is always worried about theft and extremely conservative when it comes to handing cards for prosepective customers to look at. We used to worry about this in the 80s when we set up in Cooperstown on inductoion weekend but we had built in security with my brother playing football for Michigan State at the time and our future Brother In law doing likewise for University of Cincinnati at the same time. Me? I'd just sit there trying to look tough. LMAO!!!.

One thing my brother pointed out is that those cards should never have all been in the same display case. Those cards should have been spread out at this dealer's tables. I also think there should be a way to chain those display cases to the table so there would be no way to just pick them up and walk off.

I will say one thing, there is nothing that would have distracted me from keeping an eye out on those cards short of the Swedish Bikini Team walking through the room without their bikinis. Just sayin'.

This guy lost like a million bucks worth of high end vintage graded dream cards. I remember seeing their case at the Houston Tri-Star show and thinking “man, how do they protect all that stuff.” I hope they get the guys and charge them to the max.

This guy lost like a million bucks worth of high end vintage graded dream cards. I remember seeing their case at the Houston Tri-Star show and thinking “man, how do they protect all that stuff.” I hope they get the guys and charge them to the max.
Saw their stuff at a show in Indianapolis and was just jaw dropped. Iconic cards in multiple show cases.

Then you have guys like me that scour the interwebs looking for deals on hundred dollar vintage. We’d all love to have resources to buy a Mantle rc. I’d never even think to steal cards from another collector/ dealer. People suck.

Then you have guys like me that scour the interwebs looking for deals on hundred dollar vintage. We’d all love to have resources to buy a Mantle rc. I’d never even think to steal cards from another collector/ dealer. People suck.
Agree wholeheartedly. And the video shows a planned coordination in the effort, multiple folks making a nefarious effort, just sad.