Thoughts about how to get rid of all of those base cards, looking for some feedback

jflan702

5.00 star(s)
Hi Everyone,

I have seen 2 stories in the past week about people helping people with baseball cards. Both St Louis and Kansas City had stories about people donating cards to the local PD to hand out to kids in crisis. This got me thinking. We did a great job with all of the trades on the team traders forum, but I bet there are still tons of extra base lying around ( I know I have about a 1/2 ton myself).

I wanted to get some feeling from people to see if there would be any interest in doing something like this with the help of our fellow Benchies. To me it would be a donation type thing, where we could donate the cards, but also the shipping. IF each team gets a Benchie or two, and we get enough people to do this, we could send all of those extra base to cities/traders across the country, and those people could package them and donate to the local PD

Any interest or thoughts on this idea? IT's not original, but we could make a difference and not even know it.

Let me know what you think. Any and all welcome.

Thanks,

John

cjay101

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Every few months or so I ship a large flatrate box to Commons4Kids. They do a great job of spreading them around the Midwest.

easy mike

5.00 star(s)
Nice idea, I wish we had someplace in New England that had a place to send to or bring to.
Postage to the mid-west and far west is really outrages.

reickholt

5.00 star(s)
Possibly check with local school districts and teachers that you might know. I teach 4th Grade and give them out as rewards. They love it!

cjay101

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Nice idea, I wish we had someplace in New England that had a place to send to or bring to.
Postage to the mid-west and far west is really outrages.

I pack a large flat rate (around 18 dollars) to the brim every few months. I figure, for the cost of a retail blaster every few months, I'm giving these 'useless' cards (to me) to kids that will use them and possibly become the next generation of collectors.

redbird4

5.00 star(s)
Cjay101 I do the EXACT same thing! Every couple of months ship off my base and unwanted inserts in a flat rate box to Commons4kids. Thinking the very same thing...it's a good cause for $18 bucks. They're based in KY, here's the address if anyone is interested:

Commons4Kids
500 Forrest Drive
Lawrenceburg, KY 40342

Google Commons4kids if further information is needed.

easy mike

5.00 star(s)
Cjay101 I do the EXACT same thing! Every couple of months ship off my base and unwanted inserts in a flat rate box to Commons4kids. Thinking the very same thing...it's a good cause for $18 bucks. They're based in KY, here's the address if anyone is interested:

Commons4Kids
500 Forrest Drive
Lawrenceburg, KY 40342

Google Commons4kids if further information is needed.

Thanks for the address.

ripahl

4.90 star(s)
I had been filling small Usps boxes and handing the out to kids 12 and under at card shows. I will look into commons4kids too

bdink25

5.00 star(s)
In the years past I've donated cards to Children's Hospital, the local Boys and Girls clubs, and to some churches
for their Vacation Bible School in the summer. A few thoughts. Butch

Camsue

5.00 star(s)
If anybody has any extra 18,19 product they need to get rid of I am looking for 18,19 product for my nephew willing to pay postage and a little extra please let me know what you have and what you need in return Thank you
Pm works better thank you again

Bigdog1206

5.00 star(s)
I keep a 3200 count box near my collection and every time I run across things that would be better off somewhere else, I put it in.
Every time I fill it, I drop it off at a local boys home orphanage.
The administrators of the orphanage love when I do this because they in turn build packs of them and use them for rewards, prizes and incentives.

It's always a brighter day when I drop that box off.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Great thread and great ideas.
I'll keep these in mind. Esp. when I want to get rid of my 1951-1979 cards (LOL). Seriously though, these are really good suggestions for passing on cards for which we really have little use to places where they may help.
Thanks!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
You guys are awesome! I am thrilled that your extra cards are going to so many great causes!

Blessings,

Kevin

bfd13

5.00 star(s)
I donate my commons to local middle schools. A box at the start of the school year, plus a couple boxes right before the holidays that the principal can give to needy kids as Christmas presents.