Thoughts on what you would like to see in a card set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Just some random thoughts on some things that I would like to see in upcoming sets/inserts

For the Topps flagship, one year I would like to see maybe the Managers listed by highest career win total or career winning percentage. It seems like in the 2000's, specifically 02 to 09 they were placed randomly and haphazardly.

Along those same lines, do the team pictures/cards in the same order by franchise win total or winning percentage. With the team cards you could even do it by World Series Titles/playoff appearances.

This would be a fun one for next year considering it will be the 70th annual Topps set, and the 60th for the "Rookie Cup" team. Have an insert set for the players from 1979 to 1986 who did not have a trophy on their card to reissue that card with the trophy. That could have a lot of parallels with it as well, (Autos, game used, ext)

Lets get some new insert ideas, like top 10 career/active stat leaders. I understand there would be some licensing issues with some but It would be fun to see.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would love it if Topps stop printing the damn numbers you can barely read to determine if the card is a short print or super short print.....just get rid of the numbers and put sp or ssp by the card number so everyone can see it! Top 10 legend players no longer playing....and Top 10 current players. How about a checklist card for the teams....on the back the current players and on the front the best at each position for that team! Best regards, David

I'm all for the above suggestions, and one I would like to add is more action photos. Last year's Stadium Club was outstanding -- the other sets could use a lift as well. I've had a "Detective Work" series on my blog where you could actually identify the exact play caught in action on the card: https://mmmrhubarb.wordpress.com/category/baseball/detective-work/
The flag ship set just has too many generic standing with a bat in hand, throwing a pitch, or headshot, with a little bit of variety in the variation photos, but that's about it.

I've always done a lot of In person autographing and wouldn't mind seeing an Umpire insert set. Then I could use them to get signed by the umpires.

I did that when they did the MLB Network inserts a couple years ago and got a lot of them signed.

I'm all for the above suggestions, and one I would like to add is more action photos. Last year's Stadium Club was outstanding -- the other sets could use a lift as well. I've had a "Detective Work" series on my blog where you could actually identify the exact play caught in action on the card: https://mmmrhubarb.wordpress.com/category/baseball/detective-work/
The flag ship set just has too many generic standing with a bat in hand, throwing a pitch, or headshot, with a little bit of variety in the variation photos, but that's about it.

Stadium Club has always had great photography. I do miss that as I usually are not able to get any Stadium Club in my area.

I've always done a lot of In person autographing and wouldn't mind seeing an Umpire insert set. Then I could use them to get signed by the umpires.

I did that when they did the MLB Network inserts a couple years ago and got a lot of them signed.

That would be a fun insert, the Umps don't get much love.

I would love it if Topps stop printing the damn numbers you can barely read to determine if the card is a short print or super short print.....just get rid of the numbers and put sp or ssp by the card number so everyone can see it! Top 10 legend players no longer playing....and Top 10 current players. How about a checklist card for the teams....on the back the current players and on the front the best at each position for that team! Best regards, David

That would be great. Although I have noticed with the 2 SP for Series 2 that I have got (Judge and Strasburg) there are upside down and backwards in the pack, so I was like, hmmm this could be something here.

Another thing that would be nice, as I'm sure they have tons of images available for each player, for Chrome, Opening Day, and any other parallel set, maybe use another picture?

Last edited:

Like Heritage did this year... would make things a lot easier!

Agreed - more action shots, please?

I’ve got a spot on my dartboard for an Angel Hernandez card, if one is ever made!

I love this discussion. Good one.

* An umpire insert set would be fun, actually; I like that idea a lot.
* I also like the idea of the team checklist cards, although I don't think that's possible with the three-series setup. (For exapmle, the single Texas Ranger in S1 this year.) I guess you could put them in Update, so you could include the cards/numbers from all three sets. That would work. Maybe combine that with the manager card idea.

I know this can't be done in this year because of the outbreak.....but in the future why doesn't Topps issue Golden Tickets in its products .....where the person getting it can at a schedule date and time visit their factory were the cards are producted. Sort of the Cholocate factory movie. Best regards, David