Tidbits from the Broadcast Table!

uglyrad1

5.00 star(s)
Being my senior year in high school, I decided to FINALLY be proactive! My school has one of the best TV stations in the area, and I've been a part for a few years, but never really got very involved, and that is my only regret. So, I started signing up to do color commentary for my school's football games! I will be honest, it is one of the greatest things I have done! It's ridiculously fun and it helps too! Not to mention the reviews have been good!:)

The point of this thread is to just talk about random things I notice each Friday and share what goes on behind the scenes. It may be a mostly student run station, but these guys know what they're doing! Well, until they put the Freshmen on camera duty. Then all Hell breaks loose.:p

I've done this for 2 weeks now, and tomorrow I'm heading out to Amherst to watch my Demons take on the Comets. Both teams are 4-0, and looking to hand the other team its first loss. Our running back has done extremely well! 2 weeks ago, he had 187 total yards. Our D-line has been incredible! They've allowed only 2 touchdowns through 4 games!

Sorry for the long read. I'm just super excited that I'm finally doing something that's helping me get closer to my dream of being a commentator! I may not update tomorrow because Amherst is pretty far and I probably won't get home until very late, but definitely Saturday! Thanks for bearing with me!:)
Christian

uglyrad1

5.00 star(s)
Well, last night's game was a tough loss, but we still had a ton of fun! The first half was filled with mistakes and chances to capitalized. Problem was that nobody could capitalize. Again, our defense held strong, giving up only one TD despite looking exhausted toward the end of the half.

Halftime was where the fun was! As we were scarfing down pizza, our school's band started playing Sweet Caroline. I start singing as a bit of a joke and the next thing I know, everyone in the truck is yelling out the song! Some Amherst fans gave us a look like "Are these guys serious?" It was one of the funniest things I've been a part of!

In the second half, the floodgates opened. After taking an interception for a TD on the first drive of the half, our team couldn't do much. They gave up 3 straight touchdowns in about 4 minutes. My best buddy did catch a touchdown late in the game, but by then it was too late. Amherst beats Westlake, 28-14.

It was a fun game to broadcast, and the weather was absolutely perfect, despite pretty high winds. Our WHBS-TV group is so close-knit, there's never a dull moment in the truck. We were all laughing so hard on the way home that a few of us almost passed out! Cleanup took about 45 minutes, which is EXTREMELY quick considering how bad we were at the beginning of the year! I didn't get home until about midnight so overall, I was involved with school from 7:00 AM- midnight!

Thanks for tolerating the long read again!
Christian

cadets68

5.00 star(s)
Kevin Harlan the NFL and NBA announcer got his start by doing football games at my high school. He is older than me so I do not know him.

Maybe someday that can be you.

Good luck

Shawn