were won through something spectacular.

Man, I miss those days.

I guess that is why I brought this up. I'm 28 years old and was fairly
talented with hititng, I could lauch a ball 400 feet barely swinging
but I was what you would consider lower class and never received
the training as some or the time to develope into being an allstar
or anything.

My last year Playing was for the Dacula Southerns. It was a pay
league for summer ball that was all I could afford. A flat 50 dollars.
No skipper ever let me pitch before until then, I forget the Managers
name but he give me a bal and let me throw, that was about it.
I had developed a mean knuckle change up to go with my fastball
and one wild pitch as my third pick.

My first game I started I struck the side in the first and two more
in the second. I had walked a batter but it didnt amount to much,
however by the third inning they caught on to my delivery and I
didnt realize it as I was just throwing.

I walked two struck out two balked and gave up a run.
The fourth inning come around and I give up two hits
walked two struck out one gave up two more runs
on a double and finished the day with a loss.

3 and 1/3 innings, 8 strikeouts, 4 walks, 4 runs

Man even though it didnt go perfect, I liked it..
I think I can still pitch and throw fast and still can
throw the knuckle change, past couple a years I've
thought of really just diving in and giving it one last
shot, Do you think 28 going on 29 or 30 is to old?

Im 6'1 275 pounds and out of shape.
Give me some honest opinions, I'll probably give it a try
regardless so it isnt something lurking as a "what if?"
for the rest of my life.
Just looking for opinions

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Tell you what
Go for it That way you will know one way or the other. I am 67 years old and still play basketball. I also am and asst coach at the local high school and can still teach the youngster parts of the game. So all i can say is go for it.
Chieftazmisty

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Your still young....with more practice and staying in shape...you should do quite well next year....don't give up. Best regards, David

Last edited:

mindbinge

5.00 star(s)
i made two attempts to make a "comeback" of sorts in my life...I'm almost 40 now and my time has passed now...i would give anything to have just one more shot. If your body holds up, give it a shot...my last year I hit 13 HR's in 8 games and blew my knee out pretty badly...doc said he had been doing knee's for 20 years and had never seen one as bad, even taped the operation for training later on...told me straight up I'd never play sports again...and, of course I was from that day on determined to play again.

...a few years later I made another return...and I couldn't drive the ball off my back leg and stride in to it...I was always a power hitter from the time I was in little league...and that was now gone...that's the part that bothered me the most...my last game was the first game of the season...I went 0-3 and couldn't even get the ball out of the infield....couldn't run as well as I needed to either...so I decided the doc was right and I hung it up for good...my glove sits in the basement to this day.

To me, if you have any gas left in the tank....floor it.

Loyalty32

5.00 star(s)
brazin - If it's in your heart you have to go for it. Don't let doubt or the words of others keep you from doing something you want. I'd say you've got your first group of fans right here with you on The Bench!

Thanks
Craig

Shepherd

5.00 star(s)

Hi Brazin:

I admire your willingness to give it another shot! Not many would put the effort in that it would take.

I guess my question to you would be, where are you at this point in your life? Are you married? Do you have children? What is the job situation?

This is going to take a lot of time and possibly expense. If you have other responsibilities as mentioned above, it may not be possible without sacrificing other things, some of which may matter more than playing baseball.

Even if this is the case, there are many adult baseball leagues you could still play in. I played fastpitch softball for a couple of years and found it to be more fun than baseball. The point is, there are options out there that would allow you to balance both.

On the other hand, if you are still at a point in life where you have the time and freedom to pursue this, then give it a try!

Please let us know what you decide.

Shep

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
Sorry, that's too old to start if you're talking MLB

Are you kidding ?

Late 20's and early 30's are when many athletes find their "groove", where physical ability, talent, and experience all come together.

I say, if you think you still have a chance GO FOR IT !! You'll never have another.

brazin

5.00 star(s)
Tell you what
Go for it That way you will know one way or the other. I am 67 years old and still play basketball. I also am and asst coach at the local high school and can still teach the youngster parts of the game. So all i can say is go for it.
Chieftazmisty

Thats cool chief. If it doesnt work out, I could always help the youth
in some aspect. I think its great your still playing and also teaching
what you know.

David, Thanks for the Support, I think your right about practice and
staying fit. Its going to be repetition after repetition to get where I
can be. Appreciate the Support.

MindBinge, Thats a shame. 13 homeruns in 8 games is something Amazing.
I know what your saying about giving anything for one more shot, I think
this is like my last shot thats available and I can try and at the worst,fail.
I could get injured too like what happened to your knee, but, that at the
least would be contentful as not trying at all would be worse than anything
else possible.

What year did the knee injury happen?

Anglinomics, I like your philosophy. Thanks for the reply.

Fat Rat, Appreciate the Motivation.

dankir96, Thank you for the response, I was thinking the same thing.
Thats why I made this thread. My family would think I was crazy if
I told them about training for the Majors/Minors. I got to say, that
this is up there on the odds against me/crazy list. But, there is atleast
some possibility of making it. So Im going to give it ashot.

Craig, Thanks Man. I know I can always count on something positive and
promotive of This great place and people here from you. Appreciate the
Motivation.

Shep, I thought about that too and weighed the aspects. Right now, Im
not Married or have any kids. But, that could change almost Instantaneously.
Im working a grave yard shift, 4 days on 3 days off and really at this time
am at the best place to atleast give it a shot.

I have considered the fact that my mother wants some grandchildren soon,
So Im going to give it one good go and if it doesnt work out, Im going to
settle down and hopefully have a son that will come up taking to sports.

Shep, I appreciate your thoughts, those were some of the difficult questions
that were harder to answer than being too old.

Mintman2, your exactly right, I am at the prime of reason and common sense.
This is the last stoy, Appreciate your Motivation.

Guys, Sorry about the delay, adapting to the graveyard shift after training
in the mornings has been a challenge. I got to sleep in the daytime like a
vampire.

Im going to give it one last shot, on the days I work Im going to do light workouts. on the days im off im going to do pitching exercises and go from
there. I guess I need to build a mound.

I know its 60 foot 6inches.. anyone know the height or circumfrence of a
mound? I dont like to much to throw myself out there for attention but,
with this question, i just needed to know if It was a laughable pipedream
or something possible and you guys have reassured me that anything is
possible. I'll have updates on the progress after I get everything going and
get a little more depth and technical with the aspects of pitching.

Thanks guys,

Ron

stephj24

4.90 star(s)
Staff member
Ron, as a fellow 28 year old (in a month to be exact), I say GO FOR IT. Sometimes I find the what ifs in life to be the most difficult. I think you should give it a go so you don't have those thoughts lingering if your life for the rest of your life. I wish I had given more time and consideration to playing softball in college. I was good enough for the team (outfielder, but spent more time playing DH because I could hit the tar out of the ball). I guess I didn't continue because I felt I didn't fit in with the rest of the girls on the team and I was in college to study. As the oldest of five children, college wasn't a given and I wanted to do the best with the opportunity that was given me.

As Shep asked and you answered, you have the ability to do it now. When we're young and un obligated by the things of life (spouse, kids, etc) it's important to do things that you wouldn't be able to do when you have those obligations. One of the many reasons why I finally leaped and took the trip to Hawaii last year I had been thinking about for years.

I don't know if they have independant league baseball where you are, but up here in the Northeast there are a few teams that hold open tryouts. The pay isn't good, but it's the chance to be noticed that others may not have. Google Somerset Patriots and you'll see what I mean.

Best of luck to you Ron...I hope you make it! But at the very least, I hope you don't have the what ifs of life in your head anymore!

Steph

Jeffo65

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Go for it.

I started running and biking competitively when I reached 42 years of age. Since then I have completed many 5Ks, 10Ks and one half marathon. I just ran a personal best today in a 5K and finished 12th overall. I will be running my second half marathon in 3 weeks and have just signed up to do my first ever duathlon in June of this year. I am hoping to run one more half marathon this year and possibly enter my first triathlon at the age of 45.

Go for it and give it a try.

brazin

5.00 star(s)
Ron, as a fellow 28 year old (in a month to be exact), I say GO FOR IT. Sometimes I find the what ifs in life to be the most difficult. I think you should give it a go so you don't have those thoughts lingering if your life for the rest of your life. I wish I had given more time and consideration to playing softball in college. I was good enough for the team (outfielder, but spent more time playing DH because I could hit the tar out of the ball). I guess I didn't continue because I felt I didn't fit in with the rest of the girls on the team and I was in college to study. As the oldest of five children, college wasn't a given and I wanted to do the best with the opportunity that was given me.

As Shep asked and you answered, you have the ability to do it now. When we're young and un obligated by the things of life (spouse, kids, etc) it's important to do things that you wouldn't be able to do when you have those obligations. One of the many reasons why I finally leaped and took the trip to Hawaii last year I had been thinking about for years.

I don't know if they have independant league baseball where you are, but up here in the Northeast there are a few teams that hold open tryouts. The pay isn't good, but it's the chance to be noticed that others may not have. Google Somerset Patriots and you'll see what I mean.

Best of luck to you Ron...I hope you make it! But at the very least, I hope you don't have the what ifs of life in your head anymore!

Steph

I bet you were a great player and still are. I appreciate a Womans Philosophy on the subject and the understanding aswell. If I had kids
it'd be a different story. you've been to Hawaii?Im guessing in the end,
the education paid off pretty good huh? Thanks Steph for the words of
encouragement and advice. I'll check out the Somerset Patriots and
see what is going on.

Mintman2, That Link was Unbelievably helpful! when I get down, I'll email you a picture of the mound. I was wondering how high the mound was suppose to set. Now I got a whole outline to make it just right or as close as possible.
Thanks again.

Ron

brazin

5.00 star(s)
Go for it.

I started running and biking competitively when I reached 42 years of age. Since then I have completed many 5Ks, 10Ks and one half marathon. I just ran a personal best today in a 5K and finished 12th overall. I will be running my second half marathon in 3 weeks and have just signed up to do my first ever duathlon in June of this year. I am hoping to run one more half marathon this year and possibly enter my first triathlon at the age of 45.

Go for it and give it a try.

Jeffo, Thats Amazing. Im 28 and probably couldnt run a quarter mile without
having to take a break. Thats Amazing that you've exceled and reached a personal best. You've proved that anything can be done if you work hard at it. Thanks Man.

Update: I've dropped from 275 to 268. Reduced my meal intake to 1 meal
before I go into work. Found a spot for a Mound. Got to clear out the area
and get some measurements done!

Strangly now, Braves talk is following me on twitter.