Trader of the Month Needs Revamped

7timecy

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I have been the top trader the last few months and thats fine but there are some real good traders on here that deserve some recognition. I think there should be more things taken into account than just a tick mark being a trade. Anybody can do 150 PWE trades in a month if they have 150 .70 stamps and envelopes. What about the trader that does 30 X 50bv trades, who is the better trader? To do a 50 or even 100BV trade takes a lot more time and effort than a 1 for 1 PWE trade. But they both get a 1 tick. It is something that should be considered and maybe by tabling the discussion there might be more ideas.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Who will be the person who looks through every single trade in given month and separates them into PWE trades, 5.00 trades, 10.00 trades, etc...?

This seems to me like it would be a very time consuming endeavor.

Would someone like to volunteer and do this?

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
This reminds me of some fantasy leagues that I have played in. About 10 years ago, I won someone's baseball league. I used a strategy that no one had used before, at least not in that league. Before the ink was dry on the season, rule changes were promised for the following year that would preclude me from winning with my strategy again. You see this in sports all the time. If someone succeeds, rules are implemented to make it more difficult for that person.

But my beliefs about rules, is that they should be applied consistently. And everyone should know the rules. I have always felt that having the best knowledge of the rules is an advantage. Because contests are won by using the rules to your advantage. But that is talking about a game. Maybe it doesn't apply to trading. I really don't think we should reward someone for consistently getting the advantage in a trade. I have dealt with some people, that it is impossible to trade with, because they won't trade unless they come out ahead. Even if BV is equivalent, they have to get a $10 card for 10 $1 cards.

Should we quantify and track the quality of a trade, I would think it would be on a 1-10 basis, with a rating given by both traders, just like the current rating. But I don't think most people want it known if their any easy mark or a shark.

Last edited:

7timecy

HOF
5.00 star(s)
It wouldn't be about separating the trades out, it could be as simple as as having an amount of the the trade. DG

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
Crazy stuff...then u would have to break it down to Baseball trades, Football , Hockey, Basketball, Pokeman, misc, etc, etc......Best regards, David PS sales and selling etc, etc.....

7timecy

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Crazy stuff...then u would have to break it down to Baseball trades, Football , Hockey, Basketball, Pokeman, misc, etc, etc......Best regards, David PS sales and selling etc, etc.....
Why would you have to break it down. A trade value is a trade value no matter the sport or set the trade has.

7timecy

HOF
5.00 star(s)
The question to ask would be the average age of traders on the board. Taking a wild guess and say 58 probably higher. We have to be thinking about the next generation and how to get them to this board to build the numbers.

This board is changing, Mike has talked about bumping posts and what it does to the search data. Things are changing and there is nothing wrong with having a reasonable conversation on how to change certain aspects of the board.

Mike121

Programmer
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Anybody can do 150 PWE trades in a month if they have 150 .70 stamps and envelopes. What about the trader that does 30 X 50bv trades, who is the better trader?
I see what your point is here, but my biggest issue with this would be the fact that a lot of traders can't afford higher end cards. So, while a $50 BV trade might be "regular" to some folks, a $10 BV trade can be just as "expensive" to someone else and, likewise, a $50 BV trade may be nothing to the guy who consistently does $100+ BV trades. Does that make them better traders, just because they trade higher valued cards? I think not. They all serve the purpose of getting someone else cards that they need/want for their PC.

Also, while I'm, obviously, not opposed to changing anything that might make the site better, I'm with @mm1sub in that I'm not sure how we would differentiate between which transactions were low end or high end even if we were to decide that they should be counted different. As I said, what might be considered low end to some could be high end to someone else.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Some transactions wouldn't have a dollar amount, as Beckett has n/a regularly. Pricing isn't even available for the first 10 or more days on new releases. And if the emphasis in on high value, for these purposes, contest cards should count. There are a lot of high dollar cards being given away, but the free cards get little distinction.. There is nothing wrong with talking about this. Maybe dollar values could be used, but there are several exceptions that make it difficult. Maybe the thing to do would be having a member of the year, by vote, as it used to happen.

Ultimately, I just need to find some cards that I need and get rid of my duplicates. I'm having fun doing this. But money wise, one set per year is all I should be spending. And the most important thing, the cards have to have meaning to them to make them valuable to me. Based on what I need, there is no way I'm doing more than 10 transactions in a good month. How someone can even do 200 transactions a month, They have to be collecting a lot of cards.

Fortunately for me, I found fantasy sports at The Bench. That has become more important to me than to acquire cards. Some people like the site because they collect autographs, some write blogs. Some need to fill their retirement life with something they love. I would hope the average age of members is much lower than 58. Frankly as someone who got stuck a long way from home, I can find a second family.

Last edited:

7timecy

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I see what your point is here, but my biggest issue with this would be the fact that a lot of traders can't afford higher end cards. So, while a $50 BV trade might be "regular" to some folks, a $10 BV trade can be just as "expensive" to someone else and, likewise, a $50 BV trade may be nothing to the guy who consistently does $100+ BV trades. Does that make them better traders, just because they trade higher valued cards? I think not. They all serve the purpose of getting someone else cards that they need/want for their PC.

Also, while I'm, obviously, not opposed to changing anything that might make the site better, I'm with @mm1sub in that I'm not sure how we would differentiate between which transactions were low end or high end even if we were to decide that they should be counted different. As I said, what might be considered low end to some could be high end to someone else.
I was just throwing the topic out there for discussion. The option I gave is just one. There has to be a way or a system that would attract new and old traders for a better system than just a tick.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Everyone has their own draw to collecting, trading, etc. I am not a heavy trader, never have been. If I were more organized and had access to everything, then maybe that would be a different story. I never came close and I'd never get to be in the top 10 trader list in the future, but I could care less about it. As long as trades I do complete better my collection or help others and they go well and problem-free, I don't care if anyone even knows about it. Aside from building a strong reputation I am not sure what keeping track of trades even does and recognizing people for the most trades seems somewhat juvenile to me actually. Now if the top trader won prizes, I could see a stronger fight for it. There is competition for everything, even just plain old bragging rights I suppose.

mgm37

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
It used to be that you only got credit for the first trade you made with another in a two week time period. For example you may make 4 trades in one week with the same trader you both only got 1 trade credit. So if you wanted 4 credits you had to trade with 4 different traders.