TTM Database Rewrite

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Later this year I'm going to be doing a major upgrade to the site. When that happens the TTM database is going to be incompatible so it's no longer going to be working. If it's to continue, it's going to require a rewrite.

So, my question is, how many of you folks would use it if it were rewritten?

Right now it doesn't appear as though it's getting much use. Is this because of a lack of interest? Does it not work? Does it not work as well as it should?

For those of you who do TTM requests, what do you think? Would you like to see it rewritten? If so, is there anything you'd like to see changed with how it works?

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I would love to see it rewritten, and I don't really think it would need much overhaul in terms of additions with bells and whistles, I think it looks good the way it is, simple is best for me!

One thought: a number of days calculator (i.e. I sent out 1.1.2020 and received back 2.1.2020, 31 days) would be cool, if possible. That is nice to see when sending a request out, to give you an idea of how long to expect, though I have been surprised after a few weeks, or after 7 years, depending on the signer!

If you need, I can provide many addresses!

Blessings,

Kevin

PS: If there is not a ton of response or a real need, don't spend the time and effort, I am doing just fine gleaning my addresses online! Maybe though, having more up to date addresses and successes will get more people moving and some more action on the TTM end of things. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Thanks for the reply, Kevin.

We could definitely add a way for members to see the turnaround time range. I think it'd be useful to show the quickest, longest, and average turnaround times.

A few other things I'd likely change if I were to rewrite it is I'd like to see a landing page that shows all the latest successes. I'd also like to add a way for members to upload images of whatever they got signed.

I'm also in agreement that it would probably get a little more use if it had more up to date addresses, and members could see the recent successes of other members. The problem is getting new/updated addresses added. Good to know you'd be in on getting some added. I'll keep that in mind!

Again, thanks for the reply.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the reply, Kevin.

We could definitely add a way for members to see the turnaround time range. I think it'd be useful to show the quickest, longest, and average turnaround times.

A few other things I'd likely change if I were to rewrite it is I'd like to see a landing page that shows all the latest successes. I'd also like to add a way for members to upload images of whatever they got signed.

I'm also in agreement that it would probably get a little more use if it had more up to date addresses, and members could see the recent successes of other members. The problem is getting new/updated addresses added. Good to know you'd be in on getting some added. I'll keep that in mind!

Again, thanks for the reply.

You are more than welcome, Mike, thank you for all of your hard work on making this site so awesome!

Good idea about the landing page and the uploading option, that would give people a chance to see some cool successes and maybe get a few more people interested. I am more than glad to help out however I am able, I have had a large batch of TTM successes this year (Coronabreak really boosted my time at home to work on this stuff!) and would be glad to post successes and also add or update whatever addresses were necessary.

To me, I collected just cards from about 1985-1992, then started sending TTM in '92, and have pretty much been on and off with that for the past 28 years now (hard to believe it has been that long, and also hard to believe that USPS is struggling so bad, given all the money I have spent on postage all these years!!). I have always enjoyed TTM collecting, and when I moved into making customs, I started enjoying it even more, as some players wrote notes thanking me for my extra cards that I sent them to keep. I know that TTM is a niche of the collecting world, but it is fun just the same! Hopefully with the revamped TTM manager, more people can share successes and maybe a few more will start sending out (it is habit forming, to say the least!!)

Blessings,

Kevin

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
I don't use the database, but here is my opinion.

I used to go in and update the recently deceased players, but have not done so in a very long time. I know not everyone keeps track, but I actively watch for Dodger players who have died and I am a member of a facebook site that discusses all baseball passings. My thought was that if my effort could help prevent one more request from landing in the mailbox of a recently deceased player, that might help their families with the awkwardness of the request post mortem or just dealing with the pain of the recent passing. Some families may enjoy seeing mail still coming in, showing a sincere appreciation of their recently departed, but I would think trying to return those with news of the passing would be a burden too.

If there was some way to click a box to show a player was no longer able to sign, thus deleting or blocking any addresses, that would be nice. I suppose a very small fraction of people may want to write condolence letters, but I doubt many actually do.

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
If there was some way to click a box to show a player was no longer able to sign, thus deleting or blocking any addresses, that would be nice.

I love this idea. If I'm to re-write this feature, this is something we'll look at adding for sure. Thanks for the suggestion!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Agreed, that would be very helpful! That way players who can no longer sign due to age or illness dont keep getting mail that they are not able to handle. I agree with mrmopar too, it would be a lot for a family to deal with following a death, move to a retirement home, etc.

Also nice for us collectors so as not to keep sending stamps to a non working address, that would be appreciated as well!

Blessings,

Kevin

PRosefan1

5.00 star(s)
I used it a lot in the past. Not so much lately. My opinion is that it is a great resource for those that use it like I once did. Anytime I find an address that's not there already, I add it.

PRosefan1

5.00 star(s)
That is also a good idea, maybe bolder on the main page....that way it is easily visible, will get more traffic, and maybe more people will contribute successes, addresses, etc.

Good call friend!

Kevin

I forgot you had to click on bench tools. Then click on TTM. Its been awhile and I was looking for it down on the TTM forum. New people and forgetful older ones may not know this. The regular forum has a smattering of addresses posted but up in tools there is a much better database. Many may not know this.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I forgot you had to click on bench tools. Then click on TTM. Its been awhile and I was looking for it down on the TTM forum. New people and forgetful older ones may not know this. The regular forum has a smattering of addresses posted but up in tools there is a much better database. Many may not know this.

The one under bench tools was the one I always used, I just went back and posted two successes from earlier this month. It would be awesome to have a new TTM manager, to go along with the rest of the new and improved Bench!

Blessings,

Kevin

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Just as an update, I've decided to go ahead and re-write this. As soon as I'm all caught up on updates and changes to the transaction manager, I'll get started here. If there's anything, that's not already mentioned in this thread, that you'd like to see here please post it. I'll use this thread as a feature reference when I start working.